Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 6:35 am

10/19/2011

Great news Social Security to give 3.6 % increase in Jan. 2012.
I wonder what raise they'll put on Medicare ? Read on..

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/19/news/economy/Social_security_cola_increase/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

Cheers..Joe.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 6:51 am

That's great news, Joe. There has not been an increase for the past 2 - 3 years and although it is just a 3.6% increase, it is welcomed.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 6:55 am

All those who are concerned about the Social Security and Medicare impact on the national debt need to return the increase in protest. The cost to the national debt is quite high. Especially those who consider their SS income "mad money" as I have heard my wealthier friends say. They don't need it; so they use it to play.

The benefit to recipients is negligible one by one; it's like winning a class action law case. I was a recipient in one those. I received $.67.

I did everything correctly. I put money aside. I lived within my means. I worked 51 years. In the end, without Social Security and Medicare I would have nothing.

Even with Social Security and Medicare, it takes two recipients or one with other income as an addition to live well. Otherwise, it's subsistence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 am

Why return it?
We paid into it.
Spending it helps the economy.
Spending money we don't have on foreign wars is the problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 5:18 am

Actually, a cost of living increase is an addition to what was paid into the system. I just get tired of people complaining about "big government" and happily accepting all the benefits.

I heard a report that I think was a National Geographic study (I'm not certain) looking for the people who are most comfortable with their lives. The number one choice was Denmark. They have cradle to grave government services: universal medical care free education through university level; payments during all unemployment; ten months maternity leave for the parent choosing to take that time; and a generally open society for lifestyle choices.

People are still industrious, inventive, creative and innovative. They are productive but overall healthy. They have less general stress and get to keep the income after taxes for their lifestyle instead of pouring it into education, health care and disasters. It is a smaller country with a pretty homogeneous society; however, the society is changing and the happy factor remains the highest of the developed countries. The disparity between the wealthiest and the least wealthy is less dramatic than in the U.S. and there is a definite middle class.

In this country, the majority of citizens struggle financially and carry the burden of all life's unexpected disasters. Those with means survive; those without continue to struggle. The top 1% control the politics, assets and the wealth of the nation, keeping it tight and sharing in the benefits to which all taxpayers contribute yet they never struggle and continue to multiply their wealth to astronomical proportions. For the top 1%, this is the greatest nation in the world.

Yet, they shout that any benefits to those who struggle represent the hated "big government." They have their own "big government" - money. Cut social security; cut medicare; cut aid; hate the impoverished and less entitled people and then you don't have to care for the needy, the least among us. These poor people do not exist in Denmark because basic needs are met. There are people who struggle, but they have food, shelter, clothing, education and medical care. That gives the least able the capacity to rise above their circumstances instead of being mired in poor health, lack of education and hopelessness.

I started contributing to social security at the age of 16. I worked in an office starting at 15 and on my 16th birthday I had a rude awakening: payroll deductions. I never in my entire life believed that I would need social security. I watched people struggle to live on that small amount and knew my life would be different. The social security program was intended for people who needed it to stay out of the poor house. It was not intended as "fun money" for the wealthy.

But after 51 years of a major work life of contributions to society, life happened and circumstances wiped out all that I planned to use for a comfortable retirement. The same happens for many responsible, hard working people. The lack of universal health care puts many one illness away from poverty. Social security is a small stop gap; it is not a road to a luxurious lifestyle.

So, those who want to cut services to those in need while they have all their needs met need some good object lessons. I've been on both sides of the wealth spectrum; fortunately, I always recognized that I have a responsibility to those in difficult circumstances.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 8:04 am

We need to change our view that people get what they deserve,
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:45 am

You are correct, Alice. I have no grand philosophy that explains the accidents of birth, why I am in a comfortable home instead of walking hundreds of miles across the desert to find food and water for my dying children. Why? Because I have no explanation, I must believe that the earth was given to all of us with all the resources we need at the same time we were given free will to learn and grow and become spiritually actualized. Part of that process is to recognize and help those less fortunate than ourselves. I do believe that that "God" in whatever definition is in all living things, and when we hate others and deny them help when we have plenty, we are denying God. That is my belief. I may be wrong. The atheists may be correct and all there is begins at birth and ends at death. We are who we choose to be by our own resources and serve others if we wish but without a spiritual obligation.

I can only live by what I understand. I know that I feel pain and empathy for those in need and wish to share what I have to make their lives better. Therefore, I have worked toward that end for my entire career without my eye sufficiently on accumulating wealth for these days while my college cohorts went on to seek wealth and attained it by choosing more lucrative careers.

I sleep well at night. If there is a God, I am at peace with what I believe is expected of me in this life though I have made many personal errors. I have never hated with the exception of a brief slip in Korea based on personal pain. I am fortunate; when my job ended and what I had saved was needed to help a family member, I was able to retire and start Social Security and Medicare. If I had been a couple years younger, I would have lost my house and been desperate.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:53 am

Store up treasure in heaven--it sounds like you have a lot there.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 am

DK. You have touched on my own feelings with your statement. There are those who can't stand it when help is given to the poor. They apply labels that are intended to dissuade or condemn humanitarian acts. Denmark is not alone with providing for their citizens. There are other European countries that provide programs for the well-being of their citizens. The payroll deductions that go into a retirement fund belong to the employee and are guaranteed. There is never a concern about getting healthcare. Enjoying life is a mindset for many in Europe. Three and four week vacations are common. In our country, many don't take vacations and take the money instead. There are those who feel that they will work hard and then when they retire, they can enjoy life. Unfortunately, many never make it to retirement. Then there are those who retire only to worry that they will be paid their SS (retirement) income.
How a country treats their Seniors says much.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 11:32 am

When I lived in S. Korea it was considered an undeveloped, third world country. A famous children's book author was giving a talk at the International Association of University Women. One of the guests in the audience asked, "You have lived in S. Korea for many years. Do you plan to return to the U.S. any time soon?" The underlying question was probably "since you are older and life here is less comfortable." "Oh, I will never return to the U.S. to live permanently. It is much too unkind to its elderly. Especially now that I am in my senior years, I want to live in this country that reveres its elderly. Here, gray hair is respected and treated well. In the U.S., I'll be a throw away, useless in my old age. No, I'll stay here, thank you, where I can grow old gracefully."

Thanks, Abe, for helping us remain aware that there are many other developed countries where life is more comfortable for the majority of its citizens than this country and where basic needs are not a matter of desperation for so many. What's even worse in the U.S. is that those with the most are the most condemning of those in need and ready to reduce basic needs services that the wealthy will never have to face.

I remember when I worked with a group of Rotary wives called "Inner Wheel" at the time. Their charity project was worthwhile. The adopted a single parent and her three children and paid all the expenses to get her through a 15 months LPN program so she could then support herself and children. They paid all her expenses based on bills and requests. One day, a bejeweled woman of means came into my office roaring with anger because the young woman asked for the Inner Wheel to pay for cable television. How could a person on charity expect such a luxury? Well, where the student lived, there was no free reception. The only channel picked up was a low power, religious station. Without cable, she had no reception. With her study schedule and dependent on charity status, she had no entertainment for herself and children except that television. Cable television (basic cable at that) was a necessity. The woman who was so distraught went from my office to lunch for double that cost.

That's the disparity. Those with much don't see those with less as deserving. They aren't really people. Real people go to the same clubs, restaurants and charity balls. The rest are not real, just statistics.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Very sad!

Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 2:53 pm

10/20/2011

I believe seniors here deserve better, I think a 3.6% increase
is a slap in the face, here you work hard all your life, me 45
years since I was 18 , I think they should have given a 10%
increase plus the extra that it would cost that Medicare will
take from our checks !

Cheers..Joe.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 5:20 pm

I am sick of it. People without jobs, homes, food. Winter is coming too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012   Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

Social Security to give increase 3.6 % in Jan 2012
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: