Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? Empty
PostSubject: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 7:58 am

I follow Will Rogers when he said, “In all my gags (jokes) I stick to the truth.”
I sometimes spend two years researching small sections of stories I write. Often I get so interested in what I find…I compile more than needed. Forty, or fifty pages of research may yield one to three pages of information used in a story.
It is as much work as writing non-fiction, but…it helps build a story that sounds like non-fiction.

Domenic
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:26 am

Domenic,
I don't think there can be too much research. One often feels that way when only a small protion is used, however during that process, you find the gems you sought.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:38 am

I'm a researcher. It's what I do.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:42 am

Shelagh,
consider yourself the gem sought. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm working on a Civil War novel. I have piles of info on the Civil War - and sifting through for just the pieces I need is a chore. I am not a researcher, but a book about characters during the Civil War needs some historical accuracy unless it completely takes place on the plantation and no one leaves or arrives....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 5:30 pm

I have been immersing myself in the Texas Hill Country, into sacred vortexes, Comanche shamanism, Texas history, (which, being a native, I mostly knew, but got some surprises). Since the time setting falls in line with the family history books I was working on before, I already had a lot of information from that - including bits like how to ride sidesaddle, men's and women's fashions, you name it; I've looked into it.

I remember reading a quote from Louis L'Amour, another writer of westerns, "If I describe a spring in the desert, that spring is there, and the water is good to drink." I have taken that to heart.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?   IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED? Empty

Back to top Go down

IS FICTION RESEARCH NEEDED?
Page 1 of 1