Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I guess I'm still a teacher

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

I guess I'm still a teacher Empty
PostSubject: I guess I'm still a teacher   I guess I'm still a teacher EmptyTue May 17, 2011 6:40 am

Quote :

Is the conscientious teacher -- concerned for the moral character as well as for the book-learning of his students -- to be loyal first to the supporting myths of our civilization or to the "factualized" truths of his science? Are the two, on level, at odds? Or is there not some point of wisdom beyond the conflicts of illusion and truth by which lives can be put back together again? Myths to Live By Joseph Campbell

Another bit of widget wisdom that popped up on my home page this morning. I liked this one, because it asks my own life's question.
Writers are storytellers. So are teachers. The first storytellers were historians and teachers - and poets. That was their purpose, to tell the stories about where we came from and how we got to where we are. These myth makers told us about our heroes and the deeds that made them heroic, and gave us examples of how we might live our own lives. Isn't that our job as writers? To find that "point of wisdom beyond the conflicts of illusion and truth"? Are we not the myth-makers of this 21st century?

In an evolving universe, things change, and our stories need to reflect that change. It isn't that the old stories aren't valid, but that they have to be told from a new perspective, one that incorporates the new circumstances we all faced every day.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I guess I'm still a teacher   I guess I'm still a teacher EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:03 am

You miss teaching, don't you? You must have really enjoyed the myth and Joseph Campbell part of your class. I can see you still explore it. I bet it was a great learning module in your class!
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: I guess I'm still a teacher   I guess I'm still a teacher EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:25 am

Ann,

Of oourse you are still a teacher. Teachers never quit teaching.
We are so lucky to have you on this forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: I guess I'm still a teacher   I guess I'm still a teacher EmptyTue May 17, 2011 8:44 am

Some day in the far future when this civilization is extinct, archeologists will dig up an ancient library and decifer the inscriptions and engravings in all the books. Will they think our fiction was written as truth? What will they think of us.

And our movies. Will they think that band leaders, baseball players, cowboys and aviators all looked like Jimmy Stewart?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I guess I'm still a teacher   I guess I'm still a teacher EmptyTue May 17, 2011 10:35 am

I had a really cool reply to all of you guys, but just as I was finishing it, Firefox crashed on me. It's a lesson, I guess, to compose in word and paste, even though it still takes a lot of work to clear the formatting.

LC, yes. It helped me to feel that maybe I was making a difference to a few of them.

Alice, I am afraid you are right.

Al, your age is showing

I guess I'm still a teacher Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlygr9Mx31_0ZIEAF-Phj2uJnw8cdiJgT0SbpQYGkpIuoCyWZRZ94vkcszI guess I'm still a teacher Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_L7X3HdjVOW4DKT9A3_hPATivQEzaXmp3FknttZAq_KgezQ1T5w
I guess I'm still a teacher Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQFTBC9E6G4R_X4ultFj_821NA5Q1N_2wwi-0HzieWk7lW9QU5I guess I'm still a teacher Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9VxyMItQ6TiHHoitfqvFSdEVknN_Fzt--hGwno2s1QtRF847V

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I guess I'm still a teacher   I guess I'm still a teacher Empty

Back to top Go down

I guess I'm still a teacher
Page 1 of 1