Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Bits and Pieces

Go down 
+4
alice
LC
Abe F. March
dkchristi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 5:58 am

Swam in the 82 degree Gulf yesterday - two hours. Of course I was having so much fun I ignored the sun and counted on the clouds. The sun won. I had a hot body and a healthy red glow...

Invited to go dancing at a local place. I know one of the entertainers who has a voice with a range that's magnificent. Last night was "Brylcream" a do wop group. Such fun! By the way, his cd's were for sale at the edge of the stage - another starving artist.

The most fun was watching the dancers. This was not a place for the under 40 set. Couples were all wearing the wisdom of the ages on their bodies and their faces; but for this moment in time, they were back in their youth, dancing to the memories the music mined. Everyone was young, full of promise and energy. The beauty of Florida is the youth in the aged - living large until the last breath.

The last event was the hilarious dinner at the Washington Hilton on CSPAN where I do believe the birther issue has at last been put in its place though the look on Donald Trump's face during his roasting bits was furious - and he's the kind of person who has the money to get even.

The bits and pieces from yesterday gave me such a mellow feeling - a sense of the variety and richness of the world in which we live and the importance of savoring each vignette of joy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 6:03 am

Diane,
glad you had a great evening. Times like that are cherished.
Too bad you suffered from sunburn, however I believe you would do it all over again.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:18 am

Sounds fun. I need to get out and dance once in awhile. Those seniors you described all get out more than me.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:25 am

DK,

Sounds like the beginnings of true love. Glad you had fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 7:30 am

Quote :
The bits and pieces from yesterday gave me such a mellow feeling - a
sense of the variety and richness of the world in which we live and the
importance of savoring each vignette of joy.

Beautifully said.

That's whet it's all about.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 1:21 pm

I hope each of you will share a few bits and pieces here - the vignettes of joy. Thanks in advance...

Today I took the tram to Clam Pass and sat high, dining on a reasonably priced chicken salad wrap, watching the ocean and those cooking in the sun below No sun for me today. It was still another day of beauty.

Does anyone have a photo to post of a winding river? The talk at church today was about our attempts to travel in straight lines and how against nature that is. Nature is curved lines, ups and downs, lazy rivers that lead to waterfalls and mountains climbed on switchbacks that sometimes travel down to go up....
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 2:26 pm

It sure sounds like you had a good time. Keep on keepin' on and keep on supporting live music.

About selling CDs from the bandstand. It's not just starving artists. When I travelled the jazz festival circuit with an 8-piece swing band, most of our income came from selling CDs from the bandstand. It's what made the tours worthwhile financially for guys who had steady gigs back home. And none of us were starving.

Those CDs were expensive to produce. Cover art, studio time, mastering, production, etc. It was the vanity press of music. Except that we had a ready-made marketplace. Nowadays with affordable top-quality home recording equipment and POD CD manufacturing, any band can do it for next to nothing. Power to the players!
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Quote :
Does anyone have a photo to post of a winding river? The talk at church
today was about our attempts to travel in straight lines and how
against nature that is. Nature is curved lines, ups and downs, lazy
rivers that lead to waterfalls and mountains climbed on switchbacks that
sometimes travel down to go up....
How about the Llano River, just north of Enchanted Rock? This could be near the place where Daniel fell into the portal and found the red stone.

Bits and Pieces Llano%20River
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 3:52 pm

I don't have a picture, but when I was a little child, there was a river. In big rains it flooded the banks that were 20 feet above that bottom we walked. The bottom was all sparkling sand and some bigger rocks that stayed. I think it was the Turkey River in Oklahoma. It might have been the Red River. I was so young. Memory is such a fluid thing. In it's fluidity, it adds little bits that were not of that space. If memory were a photograph, perhaps the little fluid thing was not there at all. I imagine that is how we imagine in these days that are more fluid than the days we try to remember. Perhaps that is where our writing soul comes from.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks! It's sure not flowing in a straight line.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Around here there's lots of great live music, especially jazz musicians. Al, have you ever played a gig in southwest Florida? Winter is the busiest; but I like summer best, friendly and lots of room to dance.

There are quite a few places that have one entertainer and a box full of accompaniment, too. Saturday night was the real thing, five singers and musicians.

Thanks for explaining the cd bit. It's the first time I saw the cd's at the edge of the stage; felt a little tacky - you know, like authors signing books :-)
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Betty, I know what you mean about memories; I was sharing memories about a weekend spent in Boston with a friend, who remembered it 180 degrees different than me!

My son remembers a tormented youth;yet, I remember Disneyland and camping trips and 4H and deep sea fishing and sailing and tennis and Halloween and birthday parties and bike trips all during that same tormented time he describes.

Keeping a journal seems to help some memories; yet, when I read what I wrote at 16 years of age, I don't recognize the writer or the events for the most part - a teenager's ramblings about dates and dances and dresses and dreams.

I've become lazy about journals - perhaps I should start again since I can't seem to get in the frame of mind to finish the novels I 've started.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:01 pm

I don't know about "vignette of joy," but I'm getting a kick out of the cheering crowds in front of the White House right now. lol
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:30 pm

dkchristi wrote:
Betty, I know what you mean about memories; I was sharing memories about a weekend spent in Boston with a friend, who remembered it 180 degrees different than me!

My son remembers a tormented youth;yet, I remember Disneyland and camping trips and 4H and deep sea fishing and sailing and tennis and Halloween and birthday parties and bike trips all during that same tormented time he describes.

Keeping a journal seems to help some memories; yet, when I read what I wrote at 16 years of age, I don't recognize the writer or the events for the most part - a teenager's ramblings about dates and dances and dresses and dreams.

I've become lazy about journals - perhaps I should start again since I can't seem to get in the frame of mind to finish the novels I 've started.

When I was 15 I was writing a story (fiction) about a submarine in WW2...after page 3, I said, "Domenic, you know nothing about submarines." I have things I wrote twenty years ago...stuff I thought was good...I understand what you say about it not seeming like you wrote it.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces EmptyMon May 02, 2011 4:26 am

Quote :
My son remembers a tormented youth;yet, I remember Disneyland and
camping trips and 4H and deep sea fishing and sailing and tennis and
Halloween and birthday parties and bike trips all during that same
tormented time he describes.

Chance son to daughters, DK, and this statement could have been written by me. I wonder part of it isn't the angst of youth. I don't think I would ever want to go back to being a teenager again.

As for journals, I go through times when it's harder to keep them, too.

I remember the advice of Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes from The Creative Fire, that we must go through periods of entropy in order to be reborn with fresh ideas.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bits and Pieces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bits and Pieces   Bits and Pieces Empty

Back to top Go down

Bits and Pieces
Page 1 of 1