Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Regrets

Go down 
+6
Shelagh
joefrank
dkchristi
alj
dmondeo
Abe F. March
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:09 am

Hermann Dausch was a member of our Men’s Choir and sang Bass. He was 87 years old and attended more for the comradeship than singing, as his voice was not so good anymore. To my amusement, he sometimes sat with his music notes turned upside down, singing from memory. I normally shook his hand and he gave me a warm smile and firm handshake. On Monday night he was at Choir Practice. I intended to shake his hand, but got involved with other things. Last night he died. I will never have the chance to shake his hand again, to my deep regret.

When Tom and Carol Troestler visited me, we stopped by and visited Hermann Dausch. He was a Smiede (blacksmith) by trade and he showed them his old workshop. He was a kind man and always took the time to show my wife his garden and gave her tips on planting.

He died peacefully in his sleep.

I am saddened by his death. This event reminded me not to take anyone for granted and not to put off doing the personal things that can mean much. Friendship is important. Letting someone know you care is important. I hope I will remember that.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:49 am

That is sad Abe I am sorry!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:51 am

You are a good man, Abe. Your friend knows that you care. My sympathy is with you.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:52 am

A friend of mine occasionally attends my little church. Last Sunday I was late; she had saved me a seat. When the singing began, she turned to me and said, "this is the prayer my mother always said in her times of trouble."

My friend doesn't attend my church very often. I was glad that on this day this prayer was set to music for us to sing and for her to remember. Even the talk was about living life to the fullest by sheer awareness of our surroundings.

I try to believe that all humanity is connected through that mystical "soul." I'm not a Bible person exactly, but it is a book that has had major impacts on much of the world. It is full of messages about this connected concept.

Those we love and admire become one with our spiritual self. their impact on our life is with us always. Yes, there are regrets for this life's omissions perhaps; but we are imperfect. We muddle along with our humanity doing the best that we can.

We honor those we cherish through our memories of them; by sharing those memories with others and by living life to its fullest every moment that we can. It's the best that we can do.

I am sorry for your loss, Abe. At this time in our lives, losses seem to accumulate. Your friend's spirit remains in your singing - sing loud.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 am

4/6/2011

Abe..

That was a beautiful story, I'm so sorry your friend
passed away, I'm sure he knew how much you liked him.

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 am

Sorry to hear about your friend, Abe. What a wonderful way to go.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 am

All face death. All we can do is spit in its eye, face it without fear...and hope we have left a small part of ourselves to those who knew us.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 am

Abe,

I am sorry you lost your friend, but glad that he went so quidkly and easily.
Few folks are so fortunate.

My sincere condolences.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
mpride1122
One Star Member
One Star Member
mpride1122

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-25

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 am

Abe-- Your friend sounds like a truly remarkable person through the simplicity and humbleness he embodied. Mother Teresa once said, "do small things with great love." It seems your friend eptiomizes this sentiment.

Your thoughts, and some of the comments above brought me back to a personal essay I've been working on but couldn't finish. I think it'd be appropriate as part of this topic thread to share it. I hope I don't minimize The lose of Hermann Dausch by sharing these thoughts:

John Savage was no hero. He no longer found the Army alluring or exciting. He found it repetitive, restrictive, and unrelentingly mundane. He once falsely admitted to suicidal tendencies (I say falsely because he gave me a look of complicity I couldn’t prove, but it showed me he knew what he was doing), he lashed out against the Company First Sergeant and other unit leaders (following the incident while awaiting punitive judgment, I told him to take care of himself and he removed the scowl from his face long enough to smile softly and say privately, “Take care LT”), and at times he was abrasive, disrespectful, unruly, and rebellious.

There was another side to John also. He was very smart, almost too smart for his own good. He understood how the junior enlisted system worked. He advanced in levels of responsibility due to at times exemplary work-ethic without pinning the rank of Sergeant. He wanted responsibility without accountability. He wanted influence over how to execute a given task or mission without the ownership of consequences should either a task fall short of military standards or a mission fail. But John rarely ever failed.

John knew how to exploit the resources and benefits of military service, but he was growing weary. He was ready to move on with his life. He had grown in competency, gained confidence and a valuable skill-set, and had compiled an impeccable resume of combat and military experiences. When he completed his second and final combat deployment to Mosul, Iraq in December 2008, he planned to submit administrative separation paperwork to complete his End Term of Service (ETS) and he would join his friends who before him declined reenlistment.

John was my team leader. He was a corporal in the United States Army. He was courageous, daring, imaginative, and at times a dreamer. He was careful. He was a smartass. John was a Soldier that Soldiers adored and leaders abhorred. But John was no hero.

On Thursday, December 4, 2008 sometime in the late morning just two miles outside of the Forward Operating Base Marez-Diamondback, five miles southwest of the City of Mosul Iraq, John J. Savage, 26 years old from Weatherford TX, died of wounds sustained in a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device while gunning a military Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle on a standard leaders’ patrol. He was only nine days away from redeployment back to the United States of America and was the only 94th Heavy Construction Engineer Battalion combat casualty of a fifteen month long deployment. Though he served in a profession known for its gallantry and heroism, John did not live a hero’s life. But as the gunner of a combat vehicle in enemy territory in the final second of his life, he died a hero’s death.

I guess I don’t know if John was a hero. It makes me feel better to call him one, but I don’t think he would appreciate being called a hero. I guess I can’t really say that for sure. I could be wrong, he might like it. Me? I wouldn’t.

Last edited by mpride1122 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 am

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Each one of you is special. You show you care and it means much to me.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Abe,

You are special to us.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Abe I am coming to this a bit late, but my wish is sincere. I'm so sorry for your loss. Those people who touch our hearts are so important, and you remind us of what that means.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 pm

The funeral was held yesterday. The Men's choir sang. It was a sad event.

The good news is that my wife had her surgery and is home. We won't know the results of the lab report for another few days, but we're optimistic that the tumor is benign.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 am

Like Alice said, you are special to all of us. We will be thinking about you, your wire, and your friends family.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 7:37 am

alj wrote:
Like Alice said, you are special to all of us. We will be thinking about you, your wire, and your friends family.

Ann

Ann,

This cheered me up! It is just like me. You have no idea how confused I was as I read it. lol!

I figured it out after briefly wondering about Abe's wire, then realized it was his wife.

Abe,

I hope your wife is fine!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:03 am

It's the arthritis in my hands, Alice. The fingers don't always go where they are supposed to go.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:14 am

Ann,

I don't think arthritis is funny. I am so sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Regrets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regrets   Regrets Empty

Back to top Go down

Regrets
Page 1 of 1