Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I have started writing a new book.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gjhsdik
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-02-18

I have started writing a new book. Empty
PostSubject: I have started writing a new book.   I have started writing a new book. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 7:54 am

Just to ask a few things. How do you feel when you start writing a new book, a clean slate, you can start however you like, how do you feel?
Also the feeling when you start writing a book, knowing you can write about ANYTHING you want, so may ideas go through and you end up going for the very best in your head in the exact second you are looking at the paper, or the screen. Do you get that?

If you would like to know anything about the book, feel free to just ask on this topic.
AJ.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I have started writing a new book.   I have started writing a new book. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 8:54 am

Hi AJ,

You are asking a question based on your fifteen years experience. Try to remember how little you knew when you were five or eight years old. Think of how much you have learned during the last seven-ten years. Now fast forward to how much more you will have learned by the time you are twenty-one or twenty-five. When you write, you can only draw on the things you know about. If you are writing for your own age group, that's probably sufficient. If you are writing for adults, you are automatically at a disadvantage as far as experience is concerned.

So, when you stare at that blank page, before you write a single word, make the decision about your target audience. Then write the story that will appeal to those readers.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I have started writing a new book.   I have started writing a new book. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 am

When I am starting a new story, I'm generally excited because I think it's a cool idea. I only write stuff I think is cool and to amuse myself, in that order.

If I get another idea while writing my current book, I'll jot some notes down in a pad I keep and come back to it later.
Back to top Go down
gjhsdik
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: Re: I have started writing a new book.   I have started writing a new book. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 am

Hi, Shelagh.
Thank you, for the advice. I understand what you mean. Smile

and I feel that way to also zizban, I write something which I feel others will like, but something I will enjoy making.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I have started writing a new book.   I have started writing a new book. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 am

My new novel, "Ouroboros" started this way. I was reading Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books and wanted to read more like them. I couldn't find any others like them so I wrote my own take on the idea, which Virtual Tales is publishing.
Back to top Go down
gjhsdik
One Star Member
One Star Member

PostSubject: Re: I have started writing a new book.   I have started writing a new book. EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 10:10 am

Cool, zizban, so that is your way of going about writing a book, interesting. Smile
AJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have started writing a new book.   I have started writing a new book. Empty

Back to top Go down

I have started writing a new book.
Page 1 of 1