Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Sticks and Stones

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Sticks and Stones Empty
PostSubject: Sticks and Stones   Sticks and Stones EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. That old children's rhyme is not true. Words are powerful; that is why we write them.

I appreciated Joe's remarks about the recent talk by President Obama seeking a kinder way of communicating in this nation.

Shelagh Watkins does an excellent job with this forum and her other endeavors. I appreciate her and the many opportunities she provides for author colleagues.

I believe that every day is a new opportunity to do our little part in creating a kinder and more understanding corner of the world in which we live. This forum is a little microcosm of thoughts by a variety of people with divergent points of view. Most of the time, debates about differing points of view can be energizing and challenging to the intellect, actually fun.

This is a very difficult time in the lives of many U.S. citizens today, some of whom may peek into our forum - writers are everywhere and cross all economic and cultural lines. Each day we post comments, we have the opportunity to add to the kind discourse or the hateful one. I choose kindness and understanding.

Therefore, my personal statement is that I will not engage in a forum topic again where I find myself trying to explain why hatred and bigotry are destructive forces that are not conducive to resolving differences or discovering solutions. Ignorance will find its own level.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Sticks and Stones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sticks and Stones   Sticks and Stones EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Oh, the irony. You (obliquely) call people hateful, ignorant and bigoted when they don't use the language you prefer or share your opinions, and you do this all the time.

No one is keeping you from making the world kinder and gentler or forcing you to participate in "hateful, bigoted" threads, for that matter. But you can't resist showing everyone how much more enlightened you are. No prob, it keeps a forum interesting.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Sticks and Stones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sticks and Stones   Sticks and Stones EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 11:23 pm

LC,
Your comments directed at DK tend to support her position.
Words are powerful. They can be used to infect or to heal. Healing is beneficial. I'm at a loss to understand the benefits of disparagement. In building a case, or to make a point, presentating the negative side is important. Dwelling on the negative is not productive.
There is a tone in ones posts that make an impression. I have found DK's posts to reflect a tone of reconciliation, of healing. I have also found that in Carol's posts.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Sticks and Stones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sticks and Stones   Sticks and Stones EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 5:36 am

Quote :
I'm at a loss to understand the benefits of disparagement

Yep! I don't know what's to be accomplished by crying, "haters!" "bigots!" "ignorant!" etc. when others don't goose step to one's tune. Esp. when that tune includes the (admittedly entertaining) plea to refer to illegal aliens as "people looking for a better life."

And to start a whole thread to announce these enlightened views!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sticks and Stones Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sticks and Stones   Sticks and Stones Empty

Back to top Go down

Sticks and Stones
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: