Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Question about "terms of agreement"

Go down 
+4
Al Stevens
Shelagh
Abe F. March
LC
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Question about "terms of agreement" Empty
PostSubject: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 am

Last edited by LC on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 7:50 am

The term of agreement is simply the date the agreement is signed (unless another beginning date is specified) until the expiration date, normally a given number of years.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:01 am

What is the expiration date, though? I don't have any date explicitly called that. I have due dates for different stages of manuscript submittal and an estimated date of publication.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:18 am

Unless an exact expiration date is specified, you make your own calculation based on the beginning date (signing) and the number of years. If there is a question, it is best to request clarification especially if the length of contract is based on date of publication.

There is often another part of agreements easily overlooked. Some agreements will state that the contract will automatically be renewed unless you notify them in writing "x" number of days before the expiration date. Although there are standard clauses with agreements, they do vary as indicated.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:25 am

Last edited by LC on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 11:00 am

"without the prior written consent of the Publisher"

Just ask for permission.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 11:34 am

Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Before signing the agreement, make any changes you want. If no expiration date is specified, specify one. Or associate it with the date the book goes "out of print." Or "out of stock," which can be sooner. Or at the time you enter into a new agreement for a new edition.

Publishers expect authors to modify contracts. It's a naive author who signs the first thing the publisher sends. Unless there's nothing there you need changed. I've never seen that.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Dear LC,
When I signed the contract with PublishAmerica, I was so wet behind the ears. I imagine that most everyone who does sign a first pubishing contract is. You have the knowledge to look at any contract closely and consider the contract is in the favor of the publisher who sent it to you. I would say, find out the exactness of the term. Hire some one to do that if you do not want to do it your own self. It is important and descries what you will accept. It is your work, your expertise that has been submitted to people who have a small conception of what has come from your brain and imagination. I would say that you must remember that you are the author. They are the marketing persons.

I wonder about art of any kind. How the artist is left behind. What the brain concieves no longer belongs to the the person who was the creator of the work.

People who never enjoyed a glimpse of the vision that the artist's saw are willing to sell it for nothing.

I know, I know. It is "business" but I wonder about such business.

How did it come about that people who write need bow down before the publisher.

I have many books, hard bound, that were self published sermons. I found them in old church thrift stores. I wondered about that. Linen bound sermons that were nothing more than the religious zealots own expoundings. Yet, here they are these 200 +years later, with notations in the margins.

My publisher feels no compunction about being very rude to me. That is because they never read a word anyone ever sent to them for publishing. We are cattle.

Wouldn't it be nice if there really was some hope?

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 4:38 pm

LC wrote:
As I said, I prefer not to discuss anything with them. Can't imagine they'd grant it, anyhow.
Do it the way someone very close to me did. Write and tell them that you intend using some of the material in another book that does not compete with the existing text.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 4:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 3:04 am

LC wrote:

Quote :
How did it come about that people who write need bow down before the publisher.
Because we want very badly to be published ...
... and our work ends up very badly published.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Somewhere in your contract it should say something to the effect that this contract is valid from the day both parties have signed it until it is ended by mutual agreement in writing or until specified terms of the contract have been violated by either party. Those are the usual terms of a publishing contract. I've never signed one with a stated expiration date. They entered an agreement with a clause that implies an expiration date but that specified no expiration date. That might be a loophole. Ask a contracts lawyer.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 3:33 am

It isn't about length of term of contract; it is about prior written consent from the publisher. Preferring not to discuss with the publisher use of material in a book already published makes the author look unprofessional, not the publisher.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 4:30 am

Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 7:11 am

Another author and I had a work an organization desired the rights. They were willing to pay each of us a reasonable amount. After looking this over I realized we had already used some of the material in other works. So we changed the wording. It isn't quite the same as your situation, but we needed to address it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 7:34 am

LC wrote:
Where did I say I wanted to make use of material in a different book? My question was about writing a whole different book that contains some similar material. The presence of that material might make the publisher think it's a competitor book. If that happened, and it was determined that the contract did indeed forbid writing competitor books, what would realistically happen?
Where did I say make use of all material in a different book? You signed a contract with a clause that required you to inform the publisher if you wrote on the same subject as that in the published book. You also agreed to inform the publisher that any new book containing said material would not be in direct competition with the published work.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am

Shelagh wrote:
You signed a contract with a clause that required you to inform the publisher if you wrote on the same subject as that in the published book. You also agreed to inform the publisher that any new book containing said material would not be in direct competition with the published work.
It's a little tighter than requiring her to inform the publisher. She has to get written consent from the publisher.

I can only tell you what I would do. First, I'd offer the new title to the existing publisher, assuming that previous experiences do not rule that out. If the publisher declined, I'd go ahead and publish elsewhere. I would not use any content verbatim from the existing book. No cut and paste. Rewrite it.

If they decide to aggressively pursue the matter, they will become known as the publisher who sues authors. No publisher wants to be so branded. I think the worst I'd see would be a couple of irate letters on lawyer stationery.

I've butted heads with publishers in the past. They are easy to work with.

Last edited by Al Stevens on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 9:19 am

Last edited by LC on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 9:33 am

LC wrote:
To anyone who has signed a contract, did you have the following paragraph (or similar) in it:

The Author agrees that during the term of this Agreement he/she will not, without the prior written consent of the Publisher, participate in the preparation or publication of, or be otherwise interested in or connected with, or allow his/her name to be used in connection with, any work on the same subject that many conflict or compete with the sale of this Work.
You have to ask for consent in order for it to be given.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 am

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 am

If you write a professional letter, then you can expect to be treated in a professional manner. Send a request by registered mail and, if you receive no reply, phone the publisher to ask for an explanation and a response. The nicer you are, the better you will be treated.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 am

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 12:01 pm

You have no choice.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 4:03 am

LC wrote:
To anyone who has signed a contract, did you have the following paragraph (or similar) in it:

The Author agrees that during the term of this Agreement he/she will not, without the prior written consent of the Publisher, participate in the preparation or publication of, or be otherwise interested in or connected with, or allow his/her name to be used in connection with, any work on the same subject that many conflict or compete with the sale of this Work.

What, specifically, is the "term of this Agreement?" The time between signing the contract and publication of the book? Or the whole time the book is in print?

I'm wondering what would be the consequences of doing a book with a different publisher that has some content overlap, but is not a direct competitor due to a lot of different content covered? (even though a few schools may consider it a direct competitor, depending on how they teach the target class)

The closest thing I have to an agreement like that in my contract is the following paragraph:

"
N. The Publisher has first right of refusal on any manuscripts thirty
thousand words or longer written by the Author that feature one or more
characters or original settings from said work. Should the Publisher find any
manuscript below expected standards, the
Author and Publisher will work in good faith to revise the manuscript.
If despite their joint efforts the Publisher rejects a manuscript, the Author
is free to submit the manuscript elsewhere and this paragraph is then void for
all future manuscripts. The
Publisher does not reserve the right to review, match or better offers
received."

As far as Terms of Agreement go. My contract was dated and then began as follows:

Agreement of Publication

Fiction

By signing below XYZ Publisher of 1234 This Street Address, This City, STATE, 12345, hereinafter called the “Publisher,” and
Miss JoElle, hereinafter called the “Author” signify that they have read,
understand and agree to the following eight terms and paragraphs A through R.

1. The Author has written or is writing for
publication a work tentatively titled My Novel's Title.
The Author hereby grants the Publisher a twelve-month exclusive option from December
1, 2007, to publish the book in print form throughout the world in the English
language by December 1, 2008.

This is followed by the seven other terms and 18 paragraphs.

When I received my contract, I hired a lawyer to review it to ensure that is was standard and fair. My lawyer made several revisions and suggested I negotiate on a couple of items. My publisher was agreeable to most changes and those that they didn't change weren't significant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about "terms of agreement"   Question about "terms of agreement" Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about "terms of agreement"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next