Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A Medieval Fairy-tale

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

A Medieval Fairy-tale Empty
PostSubject: A Medieval Fairy-tale   A Medieval Fairy-tale EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 pm

I've been enjoying reading Jan Phillips over the last few months: The Art of Original Thinking; Marry Your Muse: Making a Lasting Commitment to Your Creativity. Right now I'm reading Circles, and came across this quotation:

Quote :
A woman came to Paris to stand on a bridge after dreaming she would get help for her sick children. They had a dangerous disease and she had no money for medicine. In her dream, she learned that she might save them by standing on a bridge every Thursday. One night while on the bridge for the third time, a merchant passed by. He laughed at her simplicity. “I have also been dreaming, that I dug under the tree in park yonder and found a lot of gold. But I don’t believe in dreams.” Scornful, he went away. The woman went to the nearest inn, borrowed a spade and started to dig. Soon she found gold, was able to buy medicine and her children were cured of their disease.Medieval fairy tale

The Universe works in mysterious ways.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A Medieval Fairy-tale   A Medieval Fairy-tale EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 5:58 am

My fairy tale from my book, Now Is Once Upon a Time.

The Story of Julia

Once upon a time, there was a woman named Julia who lived in a small village in a small kingdom. She worked very hard. She had inside of her a sort of yearning to be a part of life, but she always had much work to do. She thought that was what she should do: take care of others, and be a good, responsible person. But still she felt the yearning and was not completely content.

Then one day an evil wizard came to her cottage and put a curse on her so that she worked harder and harder and never got any rest, time to enjoy life, or even take care of herself, until she was very tired and very sick. She went to see a wise man in the village to see if he could help her. Everyone looked up to him for his great wisdom and healing powers. He told her he could give her a magic potion to take the curse away.

Julia became even sicker when she took the magic potion. She could no longer work and had to rest and take care of herself. But soon she began to feel better, and something mysterious and exciting was happening to Julia! As the curse left her body, her yearning for life also emerged. Her life took on a radiance she had never known before!

The sky appeared as splendid as heaven to her. The birds sang like a symphony orchestra. Her home resembled a castle. A simple picnic tasted like a banquet dinner. Fields of wildflowers smelled like the palace rose gardens. All the things she touched felt soft like fine furs. Her family became as resplendent as royalty. Her husband appeared as handsome and charming as the prince of the kingdom. And her friends were transformed into elegant kings and queens. She laughed more often, sang beautiful songs, danced lovely dances. She loved the new life the magic potion and the wise man seemed to have brought to her. She knew from then on that she needed to take care of herself, love herself, and love life.

“And what about the future?” she asked the wise man. “Will the curse return? Will I need more of your magic? Will I live like this forever? Will I die?”

And the wise man answered, “Although I have studied long and hard and know many things, I do not know the answers to your questions. The curse may still be lurking quietly inside of you waiting to take over your life again, it may do so, and you may die. But in the meantime, if you believe in the power of the magic, you will love life and find treasures in those around you worth more than all the gold in the kingdom! You now have the power to make the magic yourself. It is your choice, Julia. You may accept your magic for today with no promises or guarantees for the future, or you can spend today in fear that the curse will return. It is your choice, Julia.”

Julia listened intently. She knew that her life would never be the same as it had been before the curse had been put on her. She felt a part of life and all the riches it had to offer. I’d like to say that Julia lived happily forever, but all I can definitely say is that Julia chose to live happily!
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: A Medieval Fairy-tale   A Medieval Fairy-tale EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 6:22 am

And the thing about fairy tales - they represent our potential reality. Like Carol's tale, they come from our own lives, our own hearts. That is why we resonate with them.

Here is another quote from Jan Phillips' Circling:

Quote :
It is not after death, it is not after confession, it is not after lamenting and penance and sacrifice that we enter into the light we’ve been seeking— it is the moment that we climb into our bodies and feel it in our bones the oneness we are that contains the two: matter and spirit,male and female, mortal and Divine. It’s on the inward journey that we meet the Divine in every fold of flesh, every brain cell, on every tastebud, in every heartbeat...
Everything in our culture teaches us to divide and separate: good and bad, right and wrong, us and them, sacred and secular. We cling fiercely to our version of good, right. We send our young ones to die protecting us from them. Dualistic thinking is the underpinning of every institution we have, and the reason for every crisis we are facing on earth.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Medieval Fairy-tale   A Medieval Fairy-tale Empty

Back to top Go down

A Medieval Fairy-tale
Page 1 of 1