Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How do you get the courage to start writing?

Go down 
+3
Domenic Pappalardo
dkchristi
ang700
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ang700

ang700

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-07-21

How do you get the courage to start writing? Empty
PostSubject: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:47 am

Hi there

I have spent many years writing and discarding. I have great idea's but how do I get past the feeling that it will not be good enough. I read a lot and am fascinated by how authors keep the plot straight. For example the Duncton Wood books by William Horwood. Do you guys have similar feelings?How do you get the courage to start writing? Icon_question
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 5:57 am

I recommend joining a writing group and/or book clubs. Being surrounded by people with the same interests help smooth anxieties and provide support.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
ang700

ang700

PostSubject: Thanks   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 11:47 am

Never thought of that, thanks for the advice. Are there any online book clubs that you know of?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 7:58 pm

ang700 wrote:
Hi there

I have spent many years writing and discarding. I have great idea's but how do I get past the feeling that it will not be good enough. I read a lot and am fascinated by how authors keep the plot straight. For example the Duncton Wood books by William Horwood. Do you guys have similar feelings?How do you get the courage to start writing? Icon_question

If you are a new writer, it may not be good enough. It takes time. Post some of your work, and the members will make comment...it is one of many ways to learn. Here is a good book that will help, "Stein on Writing," by Sol Stein.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 5:30 am

I highly recommend a book first mentioned on this site by Malcolm Campbell, called The Voice of the Muse by Mark David Gerson, as well as the CD of the same title. They contain meditation exercises to help you get started with keeping a journal, and for getting over blocks and over-intellectualizing your writing.

Whether you choose to get these books, or any of several others, or not, keeping a daily journal does several things. First, it keeps you committed to writing something every day. Second, it can be a powerful psychological tool for dealing with your everyday problems - which can keep you distracted from your writing goals. And third, it can open you up to new ideas for both fictional stories and non-fiction topics that can stimulate you to continue.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 7:24 am

Quote :
I have spent many years writing and discarding. I have great idea's but
how do I get past the feeling that it will not be good enough.

"...rather than your writing, make each post you do count, don't be tricked into thinking that your posts and your books are somehow two worlds very far apart, they're not, for readers don't think like that at all, and they are going to find out about your writings more and more through your posts now..." mentioned the goblin noticing how on-line writing and ebooks were the direction this market was heading towards, adding "...just use your posts as a fermenting ground to your writings then, experiment with your writing style, calculate out your persona too, where your persona on this internet is a very important side of your writing, so start off anonymously if you wish, but remember "all forumland is yours for the taking here"...", in fact, the goblin was happy with his readership but there was just so much forumland out there that it seemed endless

How do you get the courage to start writing? Decanakrovudodirujumesec

Last edited by fleamailman on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 am

Sit down at your keyboard, start writing, and accept that about 70% of what you write will probably end up on the cutting room floor.

Just do it. Don't worry about it.

Remember that rewrite is the biggest part of the job, and without that first step, you have nothing to rewrite.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
ang700

ang700

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I will start using it.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 9:37 pm

I always think about a story for a year before I write one word...that way I have a clear idea where it's going.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Write , then get a good editor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 7:27 pm

I have a personal discipline of writing at least one page a day - at least. I can always write just one page; and one leads to more. At one page a day, 365 pages are written in one year. Some of it may be trash; but buried in those 365 pages is sometimes a gem of a story that can be nurtured and brought to completion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you get the courage to start writing?   How do you get the courage to start writing? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you get the courage to start writing?
Page 1 of 1