Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What are you currently reading?

Go down 
+7
Carol Troestler
LC
harry
Abe F. March
RetiredName
Ian Weaver
alj
11 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

What are you currently reading? Empty
PostSubject: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 9:45 am

Quote :
"We are called to create by our ability to understand why we are here on earth as part of Creation. As creatures with the capacity of consciousness and choice, we can cooperate with and contribute to the greater process of creation, or we can deny or refuse our vocation and fail to reach our own potential. Creativity, as a response to the care of nature and psyche--to the wilderness within and without--is related to spiritual growth, to creative transformation, and to ecological wisdom." Linda Schierse Leonard, The Call to Create: Listening to the Muse in Art and Everyday Life, page 3 - published by Spring Journal Books, a Jungian publisher based in New Orleans.

I've been waiting for this one to arrive for several weeks. It was in my mailbox last night, so I'm starting it today, a way to relax (with some green tea) while I try to fight off an allergy attack. The passage is from the introduction - "Adventure of the Soul." The book has 4 parts: The Seeding, The Caring, The Blossoming, and The Harvesting. The author is a Jungian analyst/philosopher.

Back to work What are you currently reading? Icon_study

What about you guys? Anything interesting or promising?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Ian Weaver
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Ian Weaver

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 am

Hi alj

Bit deep for me. I know I should read to better myself, but when I do read I like to escape - so it's action adventure novels for me. I write the same thing, so I do study styles etc on the way but I like to 'live' the book and completely immerse myself in it. To do that I really need to enjoy what I'm reading and be able to not take it too seriously.

Ian
Back to top Go down
http://www.ian-weaver.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am

I hear you, Ian. I do the same with historical fiction.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Ian Weaver
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Ian Weaver

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:05 am

Ann

In that case there's a link on my site to Laurence Brown under authors links. He rights British historical fiction and makes for a good read.

Ian
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 am

Thank you!

Ann
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 am

I am currently reading A Young Man Without Magic by Lawrence Watt-Evans.
Back to top Go down
Ian Weaver
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Ian Weaver

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm

Remember Desmond Bagley - I'm reading Juggernaut - I met him years ago whilst in the Navy 0 one of the channel Islands - Geurnsey I think. Charming man.

Ian
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Ann,
I think we all need a change of pace. I just finished "Churchill - a Life". Over 1000 pages in smaller print, otherwise it would have been 1500 pages. It took time to get through and it had to be read where you had some support to hold the book. It was well worth the read. His contribution to the world is extraordinary. Now I'm ready for a fast reading novel that isn't so serious.
Back to top Go down
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: the boo and the real life   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 1:49 am

I was making trip to Norway, cross the Sweden, on road E 18, Actually the trip took a month and I read a lot during the journey.
What I observed, was the alarming development toward the totally closed Europe. There were growing fences, everywhere, along the road and round the parking lots, and you could found up hanged signs of warding to stop here more than a hour .
Women in their dark blue cars wearing signal coloured jackets asking money for partnering 100kr a day . even on empty plain.
Where is the freedom of a man to move - the primary freedom of a man even poor one.
Are the whole Europe going to new kind of totalitarianism?
I was pure chance that at the same time I was reading the book 'The Grapes of the Wrath', telling the journey of Oklahoma families on road 66.
Well there are too much similarity between that book and the situation on the Sweden and northern European roads.
Quotation from the book of the grapes of the wrath:
" It ain't that big. The whole United State ain't that big.It ain't big enough. There ain't room enough ror me and you, For you kind and my kind, for rich and poor together all in one country, for thieves and honest men. For hunger and fat."
Yes we are going back to hose early days which wasn't anything else but fascism.
I am on the moment in a ferry port on the eastern coast of Sweden waiting ferry home to Finland. The land where there still is free room, and fields, pure water and the forest for a man feel freedom. No one knows how long as the world is going to craziness.
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:01 am

I just finished Bonfire of the Vanities. I read it 20 years ago, but it was one of my favorite novels, so I read it again, critically this time, to see how Wolfe weaves his characters, plot and subplots together. He is marvelous.

I plan to read various books discussed by Bell in Plot and Structure. In my Amazon cart are The Kite Runner, White Oleander and The Fan.

I've also been reading Amazon reviews of popular novels, ones that have hundreds or even 1,000+ reviews. They give insight into what readers want, like, and dislike.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 8:34 am

I'm reading Hypnotizing Maria by Richard Bach. It is an aviation/spiritual novel.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 10:11 am

Hi Harry,

Good to see you back from your travels. Great choice of book!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks Shelagh. I am deeply sinking into that book, in the sense of its words and in reality, for the freedom is the higes value a fella could have.
I am folly aware of the existence of those poor people whom to-day also have been forced to move to looking for the bread, People mus have freedom to go when them ever wanted.
Back to top Go down
vampireheartauthor
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
vampireheartauthor

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm currently reading Eragon. Actually I've read that series lots of times, though. What are you currently reading? Icon_study Ins't he making a fourth book? I hope that comes out soon........
Back to top Go down
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 12:13 pm

The greatest generation speaks by Tom Brokaw,
Many tales in it, how the WWII made American
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2010-10-14

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 9:41 am

Right now I'm going through my Louie L'Amour collection and re-reading them all.

Strangely, I've noticed in this second go-around that many have unfinished endings!

Bummer!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 am

I loved reading Louis L'Amour when my kids were little and I was staying home with them. They were books I could read with one eye while I watched the children with the other.

Not only do they often have unfinished endings, the protagonists are often just the same characters as before, with different names.

But I still remember them fondly. He told a good story, even if he sometimes merely rewrote an earlier one. Do you happen to know the whole quote about the settings of his works? It had something to do with the idea that if he mentioned a spring in his description, "The spring was there, and the water was good to drink." Or something like that.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 5:13 pm

I've downloaded a bunch of novels to my netbook. I don't know the title; but the president of the U.S. is a bad guy...and there are murders and mayhem about. Great escapism.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Right now I'm reading a series of Konsalik books. He wrote something like 160 books with some 80 million copies worldwide. His writing style makes it easy to read in German. The best of his books, in my opinion, deals with adventure and romance in Russia. He was there during the war and the action he writes about is realistic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently reading?   What are you currently reading? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you currently reading?
Page 1 of 1