Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

PA reinstates me, but I like it here better

Go down 
+9
Sue
A Ahad
Abe F. March
E. Don Harpe
Phil Whitley
lin
Shelagh
zadaconnaway
Dick Stodghill
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PA reinstates me, but I like it here better Empty
PostSubject: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 11:34 am

I am now able to get on the PA board again, although I have little desire to spend much time there. This place seems more interesting and it doesn't have people lacking a single Shocked clue about the publishing business. Anyway, a woman from PA called me today and fixed the problem while we were on the phone. Apparently a few people complained on their board and a few others sent them emails. I will post there occasionally just to see how long it takes for them to ban me again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 11:43 am

I think this post, a review from the Akron Beacon Journal, was the last straw for PA and got me banned.

The plot is rousing and, finally, inspirational, but the text is marred by copy errors, and there is one scene between Raffi and another person that Francesca, talking in the first person, could not know about.
Here Lies the Heart of a Woman in Need (162 pages, softcover) is $19.95 from http://www.publishamerica.com.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Is that a review you posted, Dick? Now they ban folks who tell the truth? I was asked to review a few that were so bad, I simply had nothing good to say, and did not review them at all. If I had been truthful, I would have had to say : don't buy this book unless you can overlook glaring errors.

We are really tickled to have you here, and I think you will find your sage advice most welcome by most, if not all, members.

P.S.

I like it better here, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm tickled pink.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 2:07 pm

You call THAT cranky? Jesus, I ought to sign up there just to show those people what nasty posting is really like. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Glad you're here, Dick! I've seen that happen time and again with PA banning someone at the request of an email. I've only been banned once - for trying to discuss slavery and racists - and it was for a story I was writing. Someone complained and without a warning, I just couldn't get online there. I thought I had forgotten my password - lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Someone trying to be politically correct, or an over zealous censor? Maybe both, and maybe emails complaining are imagined. I have seen some very unfair bannings take place there. People banned for simply defending their position. I guess they crossed the wrong individual.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:09 pm

Not to worry, Dick, they banned me about the same time they did you. After the infocenter made a comment about not allowing political posts, I said that it was probably because infocenter wasn't old enough to vote. Instant ban!

Course, I couldn't care less, there isn't very much there that I really cared to post about, as most of the posts are about as interesting as watch paint dry.

When I'm not working on a short story or a book, I have two or three message boards that I visit now. This one, of course, and as I'm the secretary of WOW and there are some interesting people there, I spend some time there, and then there are a couple of political boards I read, but seldom post to.

There's some good folk here, and not as much infighting as a couple of other boards I can think of, so I think you'll fit right in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 8:17 pm

E. Don Harpe wrote:
Not to worry, Dick, they banned me about the same time they did you. After the infocenter made a comment about not allowing political posts, I said that it was probably because infocenter wasn't old enough to vote. Instant ban!

lol! That is quite a funny reply. They obviously have no sense of humor!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Consider the fact that Dick Stodghill has been on the PA board for a long time. He has written a great book that PA listed as book of the week and month. He was on the History Channel and PA capitalized on that as well. He has helped numerous people by taking the time to answer their question. For them to ban him without even a courtesy call or email to discuss the problem says it all: Incompetence.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyTue May 06, 2008 11:38 pm

I could not agree more, Abe. Dick has always shown himself willing to advise and assist newbies. Which is more than one can say about most of the others who have been there for a while. In fact, he is about the only one who offers answers to valid questions that others often give belittling replies. He is also held in very high esteem by more than a handful of other authors on that board, and some who have also been banned.

It is obvious to me, that there are a favored few who can pick arguments and get others banned for answering! (They are probably the same ones who started the discord to begin with, and more than likely on purpose.)
Back to top Go down
writer11

PostSubject: nicely said   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 12:28 am

fter the infocenter made a comment about not allowing political posts, I said that it was probably because infocenter wasn't old enough to vote. Instant ban! javascript:emoticonp('lol!')
lol!
Back to top Go down
writer11

PostSubject: nicely said redux   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 12:31 am

What the prevous post was meant to say:

after the infocenter made a comment about not allowing political posts, I said that it was probably because infocenter wasn't old enough to vote. Instant ban!

LOL lol!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 12:33 am

Writer11 - remember to log in so that you can edit your posts.

~Shelagh
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 5:29 am

If PA can ban a distinguished author like Dick Stodghill, I think they can ban anybody. I saw a few folks on the PA board seeking him out on a thread "Paging Dick Stodghill", so you're a very wanted man Mr Stodghill Smile

Last edited by A Ahad on Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 7:23 am

Ahad,
early on, I remember a remark by Dick Stodghill on a different forum from PA, where he said that he didn't write his book so that he would have to go out and buy it himself.
I fell for the big 50 purchase - when I first got my book costing me a bundle for the shipping that nullified the discount. I haven't bought any since and don't intend to. Either it will sell by commercial means or it won't.
To each his own. Others may have an entirely different marketing strategy and want to sell their own book.
Like Dick, I didn't write my book so that I would have to go out and sell it. And I'm not going to have a garage full of unsold books either.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 7:57 am

Well, I think buying the initial 50 copies is actually a very smart idea Abe and I personally did the same. It gave me an opportunity to get the word out that I'm published and I had spare copies to submit for reviews and press attention.

Beyond those initial 50 copies I saw no further merit in buying my own books, nor do I have any future intention to do so. But, as you say, each to his own and I would be wrong to advocate any differently to others.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Quote :
...it doesn't have people lacking a single Shocked clue about the publishing business.

There is one here, Dick. Me. *sigh* I seem to be the only one too. And as if to confound that statement I will ask the question: What is PA? Is it Publish America? I don't think it is Published Authors.
sunny
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 6:39 pm

I was thinking Pennsylvania
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyWed May 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Dick Stodghill wrote:
I am now able to get on the PA board again, although I have little desire to spend much time there. This place seems more interesting and it doesn't have people lacking a single Shocked clue about the publishing business. Anyway, a woman from PA called me today and fixed the problem while we were on the phone. Apparently a few people complained on their board and a few others sent them emails. I will post there occasionally just to see how long it takes for them to ban me again.

Hey Dick didn't know you got banned well you're in good company I got banned once too for complaining they turned down a second book a week after making my book with them book of the week for seven weeks running!

Hey maybe we should start the WGBFTPABAWDGAF Club oh sorry, we got banned from the pa board and we don't give a fig Club

Anyhoo, this is a far better place with nicer people and oops slipping into Aussie a great shelagh at the helm!!!!! yours Bruce ooops Rainbow lol!
Back to top Go down
http://fly.to/rainbow689
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyThu May 08, 2008 3:47 am

I think you're better off out of there, Dick.

That is no way to run a business.
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyThu May 08, 2008 7:10 am

Sue - PA is PublishAmerica as you thought. So far I have not been banned by Pennsylvania, as Lin suggested, but you never know what lies ahead.

Aside from certain things about the messageboard and the fact they will publish anything that comes over the transom I have no complaints about PA. They did what they said they would, nothing more and nothing less. The company does not have a sales force so they depend on people buying their own books, something I won't do as I'm not in the book selling business. Many of the complaints about PA come from people who felt their "masterpiece" should hit the bestseller lists and were shocked when it didn't come close.

As for not knowing your way around the publishing business, this is a good place to ask questions. Don't be embarrassed over having to do so.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyThu May 08, 2008 10:56 am

Thank you, Dick. I probably wear Shelagh out with all the questions I ask. I started a publishing company in March, 2006. Published my first book (yes, mine) officially Jan 2008. I have so much to learn but am amazed at times at what I have learned already. Especially when I am discussing it with people who have questions.

Thanks again for your input!

sunny
Back to top Go down
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:30 am

Sue Sunshine wrote:
Thank you, Dick. I probably wear Shelagh out with all the questions I ask. I started a publishing company in March, 2006. Published my first book (yes, mine) officially Jan 2008. I have so much to learn but am amazed at times at what I have learned already. Especially when I am discussing it with people who have questions.

Thanks again for your input!

sunny

Hi Sue

I looked at the website for weaving dreams but there seemed no information on whether you publish other peoples books and if so what the details re costs etc Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://fly.to/rainbow689
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:51 am

At this point in time, Rick, I have not published others' books. However, it is something I would love to be able to do. Right now I am helping new authors find a venue for their books and give them the heads up about publishing their book, agents, publishing houses, marketing, etc.

What I would really like to do, is publish books for people who would normally not have a way to do it. I don't have a bankroll to start with. I don't want to have to charge people as a publishing house shouldn't have to do that. I have been trying to figure out a way where the author pays for the necessities like the isbn number, book cover, etc and I take my money from the sale of the book. Did that make any sense. Since I don't have any upfront money to start with I am having difficulty figuring out how to publish other people's books without charging them upfront. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

That is why I didn't mention anything on the publishing company's website. Perhaps you could give me some pointers as to what I should have on there that I don't now. I know I need to get a sample chapter up. I also have an mp3 interview to put up as well.

I really want to help people get their books out.

sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PA reinstates me, but I like it here better   PA reinstates me, but I like it here better Empty

Back to top Go down

PA reinstates me, but I like it here better
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: