Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Confessions from the Top Hat

Go down 
+2
lin
dmondeo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Confessions from the Top Hat Empty
PostSubject: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am

As some of you may know from reading my Biog that I am a magician in my spare time ( what little of that I get).
I have entertained the young, the noble and the very ancient in my time.

I did a show a few years ago at an old folks home. Among the residents were many who were senile and consequently very generously medicated.
I had not played a venue like this before and did not know quite what to expect.

I was ushered into the room where I was to entertain. Its layout was not ideal from a magicians point of view as I had to perform with my back to a glass wall that overlooked a main corridor.

Putting that aside I began to entertain my audience who were a mixture of staff and the more mentally aware of the residents.
It was hard going to begin with, the staff were enjoying the tricks and jokes but the residents seemed a little distant and unresponsive.
So I brought out my mind reading vulture Herman.
This seemed to do the trick. The audience started laughing so much I began to relax into the act, I was in my element and doing great. The laughter came with so little effort I was elated.

At the end of my brief performance the staff thanked me and then apologised for the disruption during my act.
Disruption what disruption I never noticed any, I told them.
It was then that I was informed that in the corridor behind me during my act an elderly female resident had stripped completely naked and was running up and down behind me pursued by staff members in a comic performance that reflected an old Benny Hill show sketch.
In fact nobody had been watching me at all, they prefered the inhouse entertainment.

I have since learned from that experience, never perform with your back to a glass wall and never ever accept gigs at old folks homes.

Last edited by dmondeo on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:39 am

That is SO cool. I had a phase of that as a kid. Wand, trick top had, scarlet-lined black cape, etc. Lacked the discipline.

A few years ago I met a Canadian close-up magician named Anders. This guy can literally take your watch and wallet while you're talking to him. I have a lot of respect for people who do this stuff
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am

Thank you Lin.
I have never had a stripper gran as a support act before.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 am

David,

You are amazing. Who did you get this gift from--you Mother or Father?

Are your siblings this way?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 am

Funny story, David.
Have you considered having a stripper as part of your act?
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 am

Briefly Abe.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm

My mother was in a nursing home for five years and we attended many performances of brave people willing to perform before this sleepy audience.

One time a man had a dummy and the dummy pretended to fall in love with my daughter, asked her to come up and sang her a love song. My mother smiled and laughed and thought it was the greatest thing in the world.

We just never know what is going to make these people smile. I'm sure your act added to the whole entertainment venue.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Thank you Carol,

Alice, my father was a piano player and had his own dance band so I guess it comes from his gene pool. My daughter Sarah-Joy attends a dance school in her spare time. So far she is the only offspring with talent.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:24 pm

Dear David,
I wish I could have been there with the movie camera. You would be famous for sure.

What a nice gentle wit you have, and a lovely way with your words, and nice stories to tell. I find everything you write just beautiful and fun. So much of writing is so hard these days in the story line, and all the murder and shooting and death. But you have a talent that soothes me. It is fun. I am fed up to my eyeballs with the intensiy of dying. I hope you understand me. I love your work. You are great.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm

LOL! True.
How close you came to becoming a YouTube legend.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 5:53 am

If only I had a camera that day but I'm certain the sight of naked crinkly flesh would not have been pleasant as the poor elderly lady in question was not a playboy center fold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confessions from the Top Hat   Confessions from the Top Hat Empty

Back to top Go down

Confessions from the Top Hat
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: