Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Quirks and Tips

Go down 
+3
luigie
Shelagh
Abe F. March
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 10:41 pm

I think we all have some quirks that plague us and require tips (gimmicks) to help get things right.
I have a problem with the use of “affect” and “effect”. No matter how often I look up the definition, I can’t seem to get it right unless I check. Any tips?
My wife has a problem with “Left” and “Right”. When giving directions, she will point to the right and say, “Turn left.” You can imagine how often I made a wrong turn when I didn’t see the hand signal.

What about you?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 1:58 am

Affect and effect are difficult. The effect things have affect you; that's the easy bit -- effect as a noun and affect as a verb.

The difficulty most writers have is with effect as a verb eg to effect a change (bring about a change), and affect as a noun, which is seldom used but is often misused when preceded by a preposition eg. to do something for effect -- to do something to affect someone else, which causes the confusion between the noun and the verb: to have an effect on and to be affected by. The writer's mind thinks of the doing word (affect) and mistakenly writes: he paused for a moment for affect. Yes, he was pausing to affect the listener but he did it to bring about an effect.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
luigie
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
luigie

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 2:46 am

Quirks and Tips Icon_cyclops
The affect of your problem has had an effect on me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tudor.vc/tudor/harritudur.html
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 3:26 am

I always go by the verb/noun thing. The simplest way to say it is one I use during tutoring: "Affect," a verb, is something you do, while "effect," a noun, is something that is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 4:47 am

Let me comment on the easier of your two conundrums.

Get your wife to hold up both hands index fingers pointing up and the two thumbs pointing towards each other. The hand on which the index finger and thumb form the letter L is the left one.
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 5:17 am

I feel for your wife, Abe. I have been in the dental field for over thirty years--where R and L are switched constantly when we refer to a patient facing us.

No one wants to take directions from me. Hah!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 6:13 am

Good to know I'm not the only one that is affected by the problem of effect. (Was that right?)
Thanks to all of you.
Mike, I'll try that out on my wife.
Rhett. I can see that as a problem for the patient. "Oops. I meant to pull out the tooth on the left side."
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 6:50 am

The affect/effect puzzle becomes more twisted than simply verb/noun because in psychological usage "affect" is a noun referring to one's demeanor in relation to his or her emotions.

e.g.: His affect was calm, almost distant.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 10:30 am

The more I think about how to write, the harder it gets.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 10:39 am

You are an excellent writer, Abe. Relax.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks Ann.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 am

Abe F. March wrote:
The more I think about how to write, the harder it gets.
I think that's the point of all the rules and style guides, Abe. Only the truly gifted can break the rules and become literary giants. The rest have to learn how to craft their writing to please an acquisitions editor or agent. Those who are unwilling to follow the rules will moan and groan about the rejections and how unfair the whole business of publishing is, while others work long hours after midnight editing and polishing to meet an agent's guidelines.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 11:53 am

Truth in what you say Shelagh and a guide to writing is fine. Anyone trying to follow all the tips about writing published on the Internet will wind up in a state of confusion. I’ve been reading manuscripts for publication “worthiness” on behalf of a publisher. Writing styles differ greatly. It doesn’t take much reading to ascertain if the writer is good. If the story doesn’t grab the reader in the first few pages, or at least in the first chapter, further reading becomes a bore. I think that’s where the Query letter and First Chapters are extremely important. If that creates an interest, then a complete manuscript is requested. I have yet to read a manuscript that is identical in style with another. Editing a good story is not a problem for the publisher unless it is excessive. Suggestions for improvement are an editor’s job, but that happens only after it is deemed good enough to be published.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quirks and Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quirks and Tips   Quirks and Tips Empty

Back to top Go down

Quirks and Tips
Page 1 of 1