Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Problem with NYT best sellers

Go down 
+3
Malcolm
Helen Wisocki
Shelagh
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

The Problem with NYT best sellers Empty
PostSubject: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 11:24 am

I often wondered if the small profits from traditionally published authors' books were used to help promote the bestsellers (since they are not used to promote the books that sell mere thousands of copies, compared to tens or hundreds of thousands). Seems that I am right:

"I can start selling an ebook immediately, just hours after I finish
writing and editing, and a print book only 4-6 weeks after I finish
writing and editing, rather than waiting years for it to hit the market.
That's one to three years of sales I'd have not made had I waited for
someone else to get my book to market - someone who is more interested
in using my book's profits to promote their best selling authors."

http://www.writersweekly.com/the_latest_from_angelahoycom/004062_05232007.html

Last edited by Shelagh on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Great article!
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:10 pm

I guess it depends on how you're going to market the books. When Pat Conroy comes to market with a new book, he outsells in a few weeks what the e-book people have been selling for all that lag time. Why? We don't have the buzz or name recognition and nobody's ever heard of us.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:29 pm

The article raises important issues but I don’t think they are dealt with well.

I agree that: “It is much easier to find a market for, and to serve, a non-fiction niche”. I am not against self publishing but I don’t agree with much else in the article.

My traditionally published books appear 7 months after the acceptance of the manuscript not years as suggested.

How about: “I can sell more copies on my own, through online marketing of an ebook and self-published print book, and keep far more of the profits, than I can get from a small traditional contract”.

I am the consultant editor of a series. We accepted a book that someone had self-published and he had achieved sales of 3,000 in the life of the book. The publisher sells more copies than that each year. In the life of the book the author will earn more and not have to market or distribute it. A small traditional contract = 2,000 sales a year from my experience.

Then there is the $100,000 they would need to be offered before the self publisher would go to a traditional publisher again. If by self publishing they pocket $5 per copy then they need to sell 20,000 copies to match the $100K. I doubt if an individual could sell as ebooks and print books 20,000 copies of any self-published non fiction book. I don’t believe they could market and distribute 20,000 copies of their self published book or half that number in the timescale the traditional publisher would be working to.

For the time being the book trade still accounts for 70% of my book sales – ie people going into a bookshop and buying them. The publisher has a team of reps visiting shops in order to realise these sales. The article refers to an ebook..years ago. Again from my experience ebook sales have increased noticeably in the last two years however before then there were hardly any. Even today some of my titles ebook sales amount to a few hundred sales a year. Yes they will become a significant market but not yet and certainly were not ‘years ago’.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 3:22 pm

You should take this article with a huge grain salt. The writer of the article is Angela Hoy, who co-owns Writer's Weekly and Booklocker, a POD self publisher.

All the testimonials to her philosophy are (drum roll) written by Booklocker authors.

I'm not saying her information is right or wrong but she definitely has an agenda coming into it.
Back to top Go down
NYT BEST
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2009-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 3:35 pm

I concur with C turkel, My idol. The only problem I have enciountered as a NYT best selling author is the outright , open and downright prejudice and hatred displayed towards me from the POD group.

Lately I was in a bookstore, minding my own business when a PA author accosted me by name and said I was keeping his book off the shelves.

When I profusely apologized and said I had never heard of him or his book, he snarled at me "BECAUSE ALL YOU THINK ABOUT IS YOUR OWN STUPID BOOK!"

I was crushed.

Last edited by NYT BEST SELLING AUTHOR on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 3:37 pm

I feel for you. I would have been crushed, too.

Who do these PA authors think they are? A bit uppity aren't they?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 3:47 pm

I can't imagine facing down such venom. How horrible. The Problem with NYT best sellers Icon_sad
There is room in this world for everyone. Can't see why folks don't see this.
You have nothing to apologize for...far as I can see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Problem with NYT best sellers   The Problem with NYT best sellers Empty

Back to top Go down

The Problem with NYT best sellers
Page 1 of 1