Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Why writers fail.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm

The myths are strong, but this fella seems to know why many writers cry themselves to sleep at night.
Back to top Go down
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Link   Why writers fail. EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 4:44 pm

You'll have to add the dots to the link, since this software doesn't appear to accept hyperlinks from guests.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Dear Bob the guest.

I do believe that you tried to put the link in the subject of the post. I could not see anything to link to or see even if I did add all the dots. I am sorry not to have understood what you wanted to say. Try again.
Love,
Betty.
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/   Why writers fail. EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Sorry, Betty. I thought I had included the link both times. I appear to have erred.

I've placed the link in the Subject line for those who would like to follow it.
Back to top Go down
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=600   Why writers fail. EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 5:59 pm

That seems to work. The link above in the subject link of this post will take you to Mr. Smith's blog post that features a set of links to each segment he has written.

The prior post showing the link in the subject line to his website will take you directly to his latest installment. There are seven installments so far, each worth reading.

Bob the Writer
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Dear Bob.
You must have to put the link in the body of the post. I still cannot get it.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 9:59 am

My apology again, Betty. But it appears I can't post links, which is probably to prevent SPAM from being posted. I placed the website in the subject lines of the last two posts, but you'll have to cut-n-paste them to your browser's search engine to go directly to Smith's site.

Google Dean Wesley Smith instead and you'll find his website. Look for the articles on 'Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing'.

They're well worth reading.

Bob the Writer
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 10:36 am

Bob,

Why don't you register with us? Then your links will work.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 am

Hi Bob,

I read DW's post about the myth of needing an agent to sell a book to a publisher. From what he said, it would seem that it is more important to write something that publishers are looking for than it is to acquire an agent. Makes sense to me.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Ann,

I am a member here, but I have posted only once. I prefer reading blogs instead and try to limit my time on-line. Writing forums can become far too addictive (and drama laden), which cuts into writing time for me (since I still need that damned pesky full-time job). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] alt="Very Happy" longdesc="1" /> But if I find something useful for other writers I try to pass what I find along.

Shelagh,

I agree. Too many agents claim to be the gatekeepers of publishing. From what I've read on Dean's site that's not the way it should be or actually is, especially where young agents are concerned. Publishers are looking for stories they can sell. That's their business model --find GOOD BOOKS people will want to read. THEY know what they want. His eleven points in that article seem rock solid. And he still makes sense when he states that there will be times when a writer requires an agent after a book is sold BY the writer.

I especially liked his post on rewriting. I know I've killed stuff in my stories because I began to question if what I wrote was good enough. I have nothing to lose by following his advice and not over-thinking the creative process. If one doesn't sell it doesn't mean my next attempt will fail and it also leaves the door open for any prior book that I've trunked in the event the current book out on submission does sell.

I look forward to his next installment.

Bob the Writer
Back to top Go down
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Heh. The words 'Very Happy' in my prior post was a colon followed by a capital D to form a smiley face.

The BB software spelled out the words instead. LOL
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 8:06 am

Have a great Christmas, Chris. You don't need to hide; I'm the only one who can ban you and I wouldn't do that. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Bob the

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 9:22 am

LOL

No, I'm not him, Shelagh. But I understand your reasoning, seeing that I'm using Anonymouse. My reason for using that site is because many sites require cookies, which leads to a lot of unwanted email SPAM. Or worse. Blogs, especially, can seem innocuous enough at first glance, but I've encountered a few that are front door warez sites. It just pays to be careful, so I don't change my settings lest I forget and end up with something on my hard drive I don't want.

My intention is only to leave information for other writers to use as they will, nothing more. I choose to post under a pseudonym and use Anonymouse for my own privacy while surfing the Internet. I read the Chatter Box forum, but I don't post there. It's an entertaining forum at times, but I'm serious about my writing. The Information forum here is for sharing writing information and that's all I intend to do on forums and blogs.

When I find new sites or blog posts that I think will benefit other writers I'll post a new thread in the future. There are few really good blogs out there, however, that serve writers well. If any other members find one and post it here I'll be sure to check it out. Perhaps I'll even comment. *grin*

You have a joyous and safe Christmas as well.

Bob the Writer
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 7:13 pm

I just read a bunch of the posts at DW's site. Good stuff, and I agree with most of it. Much seems obvious, but apparently it isn't to many people.

Props to anyone who wants to write all that out for no other reason than to educate others. I would not; it takes too much time away from for-profit writing.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 10:27 am

Dean is right on...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why writers fail. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why writers fail.   Why writers fail. Empty

Back to top Go down

Why writers fail.
Page 1 of 1