Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Is Faith Religion?

Go down 
+5
Al Stevens
alice
helma
alj
Abe F. March
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:09 am

Faith can be found outside of religion, however religion cannot be found outside faith.

Often you meet people who claim they found God in a new adopted religion. It would imply that God existed nowhere other than in their religion.

Some excerpts by Larry Schliessmann

“One can choose the path of faith or of religion. Faith is lived every minute of every day and not just on a Sunday.”

“Religion is like a trench coat. If life “rains” on you, you hastily don it. Yet you don’t really trust it completely so you pop the umbrella of readings. When you leave your House of Worship, it’s okay to take the trench coat off, set it aside, place it on the night table maybe, hang it up to dry.”

“Faith makes no demands. Faith is understanding… There is no guidebook for faith; no lesson plan, none is needed.”

“Religion is laid out in books, road maps that must be read repeatedly to be followed and understood. Without daily immersion, one might drown in misunderstanding, leave the path of dictated behavior, and make decisions for oneself. Frightening thought, making decisions for oneself without religion's God to blame, or to seek succor or solace from.”

“Faith-guided living becomes a teacher. Such a life requires self-examination. It promotes healing oneself as the first step to healing others. Accepting one's own flaws leads to understanding the actions of those around us. Forgiving ourselves directs us to learn the skills needed to forgive others.”

“Religion offers guidance based on the words of men lost to history, words written and rewritten until the ink faded into the obscurity of politics, which was when religion began representing government not faith.”

“Faith is guidance. Words are unnecessary; action propels the faithful to make the decision best for their spiritual self. And the path lies open, lit by inner light seen by the faithful alone, carried along though eternity.”
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 am

Abe, I like this one, from our past diocesan bishop, Bishop Fults"

The opposite of faith is not doubt; the opposite of faith is religious certainty.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
helma

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-05-21

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 8:31 pm

There is, of course, the obvious problem with the vagueness inherent
in such a definition of religion. It seems to include so much under the
umbrella of religion that little is left over - and if everything
qualifies as a religion, then the term itself stops being very useful
anymore. We already have other words we can use to describe the objects
of our devotion and "ultimate concern," so why co-opt religion into
this duty? Moreover, those of us with various forms of faith or
ultimate concerns aren't likely to appreciate such conversion by
redefinition.
Another problem lies in the fact that this broad definition
appears designed to make religion seem appealing and pleasant. That in
itself is not necessarily bad, but it fails to acknowledge the fact
that not everyone has faith in good things and not everyone's "ultimate
concern" is in that which is moral, kind, and just.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 4:13 am

Religion is now a suspect term.
It ought to be.

Sadly it brought the miistrust on itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 5:03 am

Faith is that you believe.
Religion is what you believe.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 6:09 am

Al Stevens wrote:
Faith is that you believe.
Religion is what you believe.

Great explanation. Covers it well.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 5:52 pm

To me, religion always implies some allegance to a dogma. Faith is just hope.

Hope that we are really not the end all be all. Hope that all the stories we have been told really have some truth. Faith is to give into hope and believe what we would like to be will someday be for sure. It is not so bad to believe in impossible things. Sometimes they are possible. Have faith.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 5:57 pm

Betty,

I have plenty of faith and hope-- in God--not a church.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm

The places I have felt the closest to a power greater than all I know: In the bowels of the yacht, alone with my standard poodle, believing the storm would throw us on the rocks or the lightning would split the mast. At my father's grave. When I found an important document by a miracle of coincidences. When my son was born. When I walk in the Everglades or in the mountains or on the beach. When I am able to quiet my mind in a meditative state. When I feared for my son's life. Running. Floating in the 90 degree ocean, watching the sky and feeling disconnected from earth.

There are more; but not any of them were in a church building. I attend church to force myself to have a set time to reflect on spiritual ideas and attempting to develop a better self. I attend church for the camaraderie with other pleasant people also on a quest. I attend church as a sort of mini society, a group conscioiusness for a higher good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 7:37 pm

I attend church also. I just steer clear of politics. It was the Finance committee that opened my eyes.

Here I made it through years as a board member-even chairperson of the board before I discovered what was going on.

Most people don't have a clue what is going on. Most of the people are nice.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Numerous songs describe the beauty of heaven as a wonderful place. No sickness or worries, just perpetual happiness. For those who believe in this wonderful heaven, why then do they fight so hard to keep from going there? They struggle, endure pain and suffering in an effort to stay here. Is their faith/belief real?

Fear of the unknown is a constant. Since no one can be sure of the hereafter, it requires faith in some doctrine or belief to provide inner peace. Some believers in a heavenly paradise are willing to sacrifice their lives to get there; unfortunately they take other people with them who didn’t want to go.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 11:38 pm

To me everlasting life is a mystery I must accept. One night I was very ill. Family came and cleaned my house, brought food, cried, said good-bye. When I laid in bed I heard voices speaking to me and felt people who were not there touching me. I went out in the living room and waited for my husband to come to bed. I went to sleep not thinking I would wake up. I did and I am still waking up each day.

I learned living and dying were not in my hands, like Betty it was about hope and faith and believing in beauty.

I do not understand a lot. I can only love.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 am

I believe in heaven. I don't want to be there just now. Who wants to be in heaven having a good time while their loved ones are here?

I think when people die they are asleep or oblivious to their surroundings. "The living know that they shall die, but the dead know not anything."

"In that very moment their thoughts perish."

Death is a separaton--although temporary. However, when your loved one dies, you can look forward to seeing them again, but it could be not in your lifetime.

No one need agree with me.

Life is a gift. Without a will and desire to live we would die sooner, I think.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 am

Alice,

I feel as you do. In spite of pain and suffering and disability, I don't want to be anywhere but where I am with my husband and family. I love life. I want to stay around.

And I know it is not in my hands but God's. I remember after my father died, my mother did not believe she would see him again in heaven. The day of my brother's funeral, I went to see her. She kept calling to him and said to me, "Let me go with your father. Don't be stubborn. Your father is down the hall waiting for me."

A year later she died, with a smile on her face. I knew my father had her hand and was taking her to heaven with him.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 11:27 am

Is faith religion?

Not necessarily. Depends on how you use the word.

The second definition: firm belief in something for which there is no proof is pretty much the Bible's definition at Hebrews 11:1.

According to Merrian Webster, faith is:

1 a : allegiance to duty
or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity
to one's promises (2) : sincerity
of intentions
2 a (1) :
belief and trust in and loyalty
to God (2) : belief in the
traditional doctrines of a religion b (1)
: firm belief in something for which there is no proof
(2) : complete trust
: something that is believed especially with strong
conviction; especially : a system of
religious beliefs

I do not adhere to any organized religion. But I would say I am a spiritual person and I think I have a certain amount of faith in some people and some things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is Faith Religion? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Faith Religion?   Is Faith Religion? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Faith Religion?
Page 1 of 1