Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?

Go down 
+7
alj
P. Gordon Kennedy
Shelagh
Malcolm
Carol Troestler
LC
joefrank
11 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? Empty
PostSubject: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 am

11/25/2009

Hi Everyone... santa

Are you shopping on black friday ?... ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? 83899

Me, I don't think so .....I shop all year round..

Cheers..Joe.. ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? 356119
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 10:50 am

I never go to the stores on Black Friday. In fact, I try to avoid them the whole month of December.

Waiting in line so I can save five dollars on an electronic gadget holds no allure for me. Wonder if there'll be another stampede this year, where a bunch of shoppers ran over and trampled a Walmart employee to death in their frenzy to buy cheap TVs.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:54 am

I never have nor will.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 2:00 pm

I don't understand the attraction of black Friday. Standing in lines and looking for parking places in a crowded lot is not my idea of a good way to shop.

Of course, 134 million Americans disagree.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Well, they would, wouldn't they? LOL!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 2:13 pm

In a word, NO!

Black Friday = stores so crowded you can't get around without bumping into people and when you get to what you want you find it's sold out and that's assuming you've found a place to park the car in the first place!

Some people go to stores at like 5:00 AM to go shopping. It's quite hard for me to get up that early and not be so sleepy I'm virtually half dead.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:41 pm

11/25/2009

The reason I dislike Black Friday is I worked
in retail , let's just say this Dept. store starts
with a K , come to your own conclusions, no
it's not K Mart...I had to get up at 2:00 AM in
in the morning to be there at 3:00 AM for that
day , I have never seen a store in my 25 years
of being in retail open that early , in New York
Macy's and Lord & Taylor never, ever did that !
Many of the customers were abusive and the
management there was very nasty towards the
employees , it amazes me how companies like
this get away with it and if you say you'll take
them to court, their answer is " You'll Never Win!"
I'm so happy that I'm retired now , no more dealing
with the public, today it's like a horror story..

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:44 pm

What rational person goes shopping at 3:00AM?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 3:57 pm

If I were told that the only day I would be allowed to Christmas shop were the day after Thanksgiving, nobody would get Christmas gifts from me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 4:08 pm

11/25/2009

I don't know any sane person who shops
at 3:00 AM in the morning, even though
here in Santa Fe, NM they line up at
Walmart at 2:00 AM ...Totally NUTS !

Shelagh..

Do they do Black Friday in England ?

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Black Friday? No, We have the January sales. Some people sleep in sleeping bags on the pavements outside department stores to be first in line for special big reductions (reduced to draw the crowds).
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 5:06 pm

three words...no way baby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 5:15 pm

It's really amazing what people will do to save a few bucks.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 pm

In my 70 years, I have never heard the term "Black Friday." In the past few days I saw it on various posts. What the hell is it? I've heard of "Good Friday" and "Friday the 13th." To me, the "black" in Friday makes it sound bad - like "Bad Friday."
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 11:09 pm

11/26/2009

Abe..

I take it you have never lived in the United
States , I see you live in Germany, that's where my
ancestors came from in 1865 , here in the USA it's
the biggest shopping day after Thanksgiving, stores
have crazy sales for the Christmas Season, it's kind
of nutty to know people stand outside stores to get in
at 3:00 AM , me no way, never have done it and never
will do it , I shop all year round , easy on the nerves...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 5:42 am

Abe, Black Friday is supposed to put the retail merchants in the black, financially speaking, from the rush to begin Christmas shopping by taking advantage of special sales prices. In this case, as you can see, "black" is better than "red."

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 6:15 am

In Germany there was Octoberfest - a celebration of the harvest I believe. Thanksgiving is specifically a U.S. holiday. Because it always falls on Thursday, somebody started offering sales on Friday since many people had it off. Then, they went nutzy with it from my perspective. For some people, it is a stressful day of disappointment by missing the bargains (for which they may be as few as 5 with hundreds of people in line all night) to making it a family fun day including breakfast out and assigning stores. It has become sort of a bellweather to the fate of retail for the holiday season shopping.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 7:18 am

Joe,
yes I've lived in the U.S. I was born there. I moved around a lot within the US, Canada, Europe and the Middle East. I moved permanently to Germany in 2001 when I retired.

Ann, I now understand. Black certainly is better than being in the red. I think a "green" Friday would also represent buying and not the depressing connotation of black.

DK. I don't believe the October Fest has anything to do with Thanksgiving. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest
As you know, it was started in Munich and the main theme is beer, although all the other goodies to eat are consumed as well. The festival has a carnival atmosphere.
As for the mad dash for bargains, I can't imagine participating in that. Besides, I don't believe everything advertised is a bargain. I've seen too many retail gimmicks. People are gullible and the merchants know it.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 8:18 am

The original "Oktoberfest" occurred in Munich, on October 18, 1810: For the commemoration of their marriage, Crown Prince Ludwig (later King Ludwig I) and Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen (namesake of the Theresienwiese festival grounds) organized a great horse race (the marriage took place on October 12; the horse race on October 17 — therefore, there are different dates named as being the first Oktoberfest). per Wikipedia - I was way off about the harvest part -
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 11:42 am

No problem DK. One can live in a place many years and still not know the why of things.
I don't know if it has happened to you, but with me I would be in an area and think that "someday" I would visit certain places, and then after I moved, I had to return to see the things I had missed.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 3:47 pm

There used to be a movie long ago called Black Friday. It was a B or C Horror movie that only Casa Grande, Arizona could get. hahah.

I think Dick would like the sounds of Black Friday. It is a city thing. My grand-daughters were out all night. They had a spread sheet of gifts that the kids wanted, where they were available and for how much. Off they went. The crowds were part of their fun.

There were fights at the Brandon Walmart over some toy and the police had to settle that one. Merrry Chrisssssstmas!

I do not have the energy and I cannot be up past nine or ten and that is if I am in my house and not driving and I prefer it that way.

To each his own fun, however.

I did go get the tree today and took my big blue monster Dell to a lovely geek. I will come home with a nice IBM with everything I need for 80.00. That Big Blue Thing cost me 2339.00 and is now so antique that even Dell has no parts for it. It is four years old. Go figure.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?   ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ? Empty

Back to top Go down

ARE YOU SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY ?
Page 1 of 1