Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. Empty
PostSubject: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Another thread was hijacked by the often beaten dead-horse question of "Why did I self publish over traditional?"

The question is really moot, as traditional publishing is a desire that authors do not have the ability to realize just because that is they want. If I end up traditionally published it will happen as I move along the road that I am traveling just as my audio deal came about. I feel that my ideas, writing and creativity are on a par with anyone putting words on paper today and I have a choice to hold on to those words for who knows how long while searching for a traditional deal or give them light now. I have four books out that I control the rights two and two under my own publishing label as a LLC. If I insisted on going traditional, what is my move, try to sell the first book before writting any others or write four unsold books?

I think that I could get a traditional deal, but I also like the business side of publishing and plan to put out other books under my label. The questioner seems to think this some ego thing to "prove something" and that is not the case. The economics of the publisher's share vs the author's share is another item that draws me to the micro publisher role.

When I go I don't want a single story or book idea to be buried with me waiting for a reply from a publisher or agent. While I was at work today, two people came up to me bowing. They had read a signed copy of rooftop diva that they bought at Half Priced Books. One woman who I don't know very well said that she wanted a copy signed by me for her own.

I will probably take my two iUniverse books under my label and have a catalog of four and am working on a co-author agreement on a biography of someone I met at an event and bring it out under my imprint.

I think everyone has different reasons for how they bring their work to market and it is their choice if they want to share those reasons with others.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 5:44 pm

11/18/2009

DT..

I agree with you, the dead horse did hijack the
thread and I thought that person was pompas ! My reason for
writing isn't to get wealthy, if I sold a lot yes I would be over
joyed. I have three books out 1. " Is Your Father Black ?" My
2nd book: " Dusty," My third: " Visions Of Freedom," and soon
my 4th book a murder mystery, " Clara Layten - The Chelsea Murders." I write for the enjoyment , 2nd I write and hope I can get people especially young people to read, that to me is important. I even spent money to have an audio CD Book done on my children's book " Dusty," I believe some authors just don't get it, it's tough out there, I have been writing for 30 years and when I started there was no publish on demand , I'm sorry to say if this snooty author looks at people like me with their noses in the air that's their problem, I'm very proud of my writing and I'm also proud to know the many authors I've become friends with and the authors on this site, many who's books I have read and many here have a story to tell, sorry to go on and on it just got to me that someone comes off so pompas, I congratulate you on all your hard work, many people don't understand writing I feel is harder than saying working at a regular job, you have to use your brain and that in itself is a great miracle. DT keep up the good work one day it'll pay off...

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Thanks Joe.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:17 pm

dtpollard wrote:
Another thread was hijacked by the often beaten dead-horse question of "Why did I self publish over traditional?"

Most every thread here is hijacked. At least the ones that go past one page. The ones that aren't usually die a quick death.

Hope you didn't feel obliged to make this long post on my account. I really don't GAS.

Last edited by LC on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:17 pm

joefrank wrote:

I agree with you, the dead horse did hijack the
thread and I thought that person was pompas !

Joe...chill...I would never ask you why you self-publish.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:29 pm

11/18/209

LC...

I don't need to chill...I'm not self-published
my books all four are done by a publisher, I'm
not that kind of moron to fork over good $$$$$$
to anyone...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 pm

LC wrote:
dtpollard wrote:

Most every thread here is hijacked. At least the ones that go past one page. The ones that aren't usually die a quick death.

Hope you didn't feel obliged to make this long post on my account. I really don't GAS.
Like Bill Cosby said on the Cosby Kids cartoon, " No class with the GAS."
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 pm

11/18/2009

DT...

I love it ! I love Bill Cosby and I love you,
great answer.....

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:10 am

Dt,

Best of luck with your continuing venture. I just moved my book away from iUniverse to a small press. I considered your route, but when it comes down to it being a publisher "isn't me."

But having one's own imprint is an exciting concept: I've certainly thought of it. Never got up the grit to take the plunge. :-)

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:15 am

11/18/2009

DT..

How do you go about being your own
Publisher ? I wouldn't know where to start ?
Thanks.......

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.   Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co. Empty

Back to top Go down

Publishing Self/Traditional/Pub. Servicing/Vanity/Pub. Co.
Page 1 of 1