Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?

Go down 
+3
alj
alice
joefrank
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? Empty
PostSubject: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:32 pm

10/14/2009

Which do you prefer Cable TV or the Dish ?... WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? 83899

I prefer Cable, in severe winter you always get TV.
I've had the Dish, naturally they would set it up on
the roof and here in Santa Fe, NM you do get major.. WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? 642629
snow storms, the dish gets snow, your out of luck..

Cheers...Joe ... WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? 925501
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 am

I have cable--never had a dish.

Our kids have a dish-- it doesn't mind the Michigan snow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 3:39 am

I use U-verse, which isn't either. Getting it installed and running was a major headache, but now that it is done, it has the best of both systems. For instance, Even though I only have one DVR, I can set it to record on any TV in the house, and can record up to four shows at one time, then watch them from anywhere in the house.

With dish, I couldn't get reception during a thunderstorm. It's been a while since I had cable, but when I switched from it to dish, I got a lot more for the money.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 6:01 am

Cable. Dish and Direct don't carry the Versus channel that shows Indy Racing League events.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 6:30 am

Do rabbit ears count?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 6:52 am

Now that the country has gone digital, rabbit ears cannot pick up the signal. You need a special box and digital antenna that will convert older TV's from analog to digital receivers.

Can you still use them in Germany?

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 am

Ann,
I haven't seen any. I was joshing with Dick. I guess those rabbit ears are now history.
We use satellite in the village where I live. Cable is available in larger areas. We get enough stations to satisfy our viewing and very few commercials. On stations that have them, they come before and after programs. If it's a movie, there is a pause in the middle that may last for several minutes. We actually look forward to the commercial break to take care of essentials.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 am

We have city cable, well it's fairly reliable most of the time except that if a channel goes down on the weekend and its not carring a game, they usually wait to fix it. Sometimes channels have been down for weeks on end. We only get about 30 channels, but the rates we pay are dirt cheap. I prefer internet to TV most of the time anyway. You can watch pritty much anything you want whenever you want on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 11:37 am

10/14/2009

Alj..

Wat is u verse ? This I never heard of. Thanks.

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:44 pm

I did a check on the availability of U-Verse in my area. I went to the U-Verse website, entered my zip code, and got the following message.

"Jesus H. Christ, where the hell ARE you?"

I take that to mean the service is not available in Ideal, Georgia.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 1:30 pm

U-verse is pretty new. It's AT&T's new system. They use the coaxial cables your house probably has in it for regular cable, but a different external set up. They offer high-speed internet and a digital phone system. I know next to nothing about electronics and such. If you Google ATT U-verse you can find out more.

I switched to it last November, and getting it set up was such a nightmare I was ready to tell them to rip the whole thing out and forget it, but they finally got it worked out, gave me a bonus package to compensate for the setup problems, and now I'm a happy camper. The picture quality is fantastic, even when it isn't HD. The internet is fast and consistent. They were never able to get the phone working properly, so they let use my landline as part of the package instead. Then, in February, I shut down that line, upgraded my phone to an iphone, which they let me add to the plan.

The biggest problem was that it was so new last fall, the technicians didn't really know what they were doing. That was nearly a year ago; it's probably better now. If it's new in your area, I would recommend waiting a few months and let them work out the kinks.

Ann
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 2:14 pm

To tell the truth, I had expected some kind of response to my post. Oh well.

About twelve years ago I produced an album in Nashville on a band out of Columbus, Ohio. They are still together, still really good, and over the years I have become great friends with the guy who does the lead singing and most of the songwriting.

He has been an executive with AT & T for many years, and as I worked in a call center that dealt with computer programs and services, he and I have discussed the U-Verse as it was being developed. From what I know if it, and taking his word at how good it is and what it can do, I would love to be able to get the service. Unfortunately, we are too far out in the sticks to do so, hence the sarcastical reply I made. There are more things on the drawing board for U-Verse, and they will only make it better and better.

If you can get this service, I'd suggest doing it, as it is the wave of the future.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Loved that reply, Don. That'll teach you for moving to Georgia. I almost laughed out loud, which would have shocked Jackie and scared hamster Masie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?   WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ? Empty

Back to top Go down

WHICH DO YOU PREFER CABLE OR THE DISH ?
Page 1 of 1