Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?

Go down 
+2
Shelagh
Dick Stodghill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? Empty
PostSubject: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:16 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:

If I were a young man, which I'm not, and wanted to make a lot of money, something I never craved, I would take advantage of the slump in the publishing business. Isn't that what the big-buck boys like Warren Buffet and Donald Trump say to do, capitalize on the problems of someone else?
A Washington Post story highlighted the issue. For the first time more self-published books were released last year than were sent into the pipeline by the large trade publishers, whose output was cut by more than three percent. The big outfits are laying off people. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has stopped buying manuscripts. Some are turning to print-on-demand technology for certain books.
Borders, one of the two largest book retailers, is having problems but still has to acquire books for its shelves. So does Barnes & Noble, Books-a-Million and all the other retailers, including Walmart and Target.
Now here's my idea. Three or four energetic young people with a little capital and loads of ambition jump into the field without having the overhead of a publisher or a retailer. They would produce a catalog on slick paper listing. . .oh, let's say the top hundred self-published books. A super salesman would call on the book buyers for all the brick and mortar stores and online sites. Small ads would run in the New York Times book section, reviews would be sent to Publishers Weekly, Kirkus and anywhere else that might lead to sales. The outfit that handles library recommendations would be high on the contact list.
Where does the money come in? The young entrepreneurs would figure that out. A percentage, an upfront sum, the opportunities are numerous.
Another possibility is a bulk publisher such as PublishAmerica that accepts almost anything will jump in and do it first. A lot of the writers would leap at the chance, but many of its books are crap while a few are as good as anything from a major publisher. Only the best of its 30,000 or so books could be used. The upfront money would come from the writers.
Will one scenario or another become a reality? Bank on it, and soon. With the publishing business in a state of flux, there's money to be made with a new approach. Somebody will make it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:22 am

Yes, they will, Dick, but it won't be me. There is money to be made out there if anyone is willing to work 24/7 and take a few risks. The folks I come into contact with on the 'net want the success with no risk and a few hours work a day (as much as they can manage on top of their day job). Those who do grasp the nettle and make a good deal of money will be lambasted and called scammers, swindlers and goodness knows what else. Envy is a terrible thing.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:37 am

Not being an energetic young person myself is a definite draw back, but I hear what you are saying Dick. Times are changing and we are part of the change whether we realize it or not.

Since Lulu broke some privacy, Golden Footprints Press, the fictional publisher for my fairy tale book, is getting mail at my house. However, it is quite interesting as I get a slight glimpse into the publishing industry. In fact, if I were far younger and had a great deal more energy, I'd go to a publisher's conference in Minneapolis. That would be a good eye opener, and the "invitation" said authors were welcome also, since I'm not really a publisher.

I think some way to determine quality of the self-published books would be valuable, but I'm afraid it would fall into a "pay to get into the catalogue."

But I agree, Dick, someone is going to do this in the next few years. Look at amazon, and all they have created.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Dick,
you idea is a good one. It is something I would do if I were a bit younger. That is the benefit of adversity. Opportunities abound. Playing it safe won't do it. The will to risk is the key. No risk, no gain. It is ripe for an entrepreneur who is willing to work hard. Acquiring the necessary finances to do it is the easy part. It is the hard work that is the detriment. People just don't want to put forth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 2:50 pm

I miss Dick.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Me, too.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 9:04 pm

He was special.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 2:41 am

Very.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?   Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS? Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanna make a MILLION BUCKS?
Page 1 of 1