Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 Empty
PostSubject: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 4:51 am

I posted this on another thread, but thought it deserved its own.

There is a self-published book through iUniverse that at the time of this message was sitting at #96 on amazon.com, inside of the top 100. This book is about Michael Jackson and was published in 2007 by iUniverse. Why it is with iUniverse, I don't know. What I do know is if it was not available, the opportunity, as unfortunate as it was, would have been missed. Statements about it not being in stores etc. are not relevant, maybe a major publisher didn't bite or maybe the author didn't want to wait.

link to amazon

You never know what can happen. Every author has their own motivations. I got one publishing deal by gaining attention with my second book. I know of authors that have been dropped after two or three books. On the other hand Nora Roberts was on the front page rotation of AOL.com for her new book. Very few get that kind of push.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 am

Just checked the link you provided and it's up to 95. Timing is everything in non-fiction and sometimes even in fiction. I have mentioned The Day the Children Vanished by Hugh Pentecost as an example. Twenty or more years after the book was published the plot happened in real life. The publisher had it back in print within a week and it was a big seller.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 7:24 am

So, when NASA put two children into space, I'll have it made?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 7:48 am

After doing a little research, this author has been published my major publishers since the early 90s and has a long list of titles. She could not get commercial publishers to touch this book on Michael Jackson but decided to get it out because she believed in the work.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 7:52 am

You just pushed me off my platform, DT!
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 am

Not necessarily.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:02 am

This is one more step in giving more legitimacy to work over publisher stamp on the cover. I have two iUniverse books and the more this type thing happens, the less strange it will seem to have some other name on the cover as publisher other than the traditional brands.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:12 am

You're right, DT. It's all good news.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Shelagh wrote:
So, when NASA put two children into space, I'll have it made?

It will happen Shelagh, just a matter of time...
Back to top Go down
lurker

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 5:03 am

like somebody cares about itSelf-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 Sleep
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 5:50 am

lurker wrote:
like somebody cares about itSelf-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 Sleep

Haha yes you're very right there, friend Laughing
Back to top Go down
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 6:55 am

lurker wrote:
Lurker, I'm sure the author cares that she decided to put her book out even if her trusted traditional publisher decided to pass.

Some people are too busy minimizing accomplishments of others and miss the signs of change.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Dt,
I think there are many who walk around with eyes wide shut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100   Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100 Empty

Back to top Go down

Self-Published, POD Book Cracks Amazon top 100
Page 1 of 1