Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Should you buy a grammar program?

Go down 
+2
alj
Domenic Pappalardo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Should you buy a grammar program? Empty
PostSubject: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:47 pm

I down-loaded my fifth sample grammar program. The last, "Tomer/ Grammar Check Anywhere," I like.(somewhat.)
I can highlight anything, anywhere, and press F11, and it will do a spell, and grammar check...the spell checker part is great, it is the grammar checker I don't like....parts are right on...other parts...not good. but still it does show parts that are wrong.

Most of you know my grammar, and spelling are poor...but, I am getting better. I have been home schooling myself. Yeah, you heard me right. I am my own teacher.

One thing I did learn from grammar programs...they take away writing style. They make everything sound like a business letter.
Will I buy a grammar program? NO. They are not that good. My brain is better then any man made computer program. My brain cannot only learn, my brain can reason.
If a New York, or big California publisher rejects my work, it will not be for bad grammar, or spelling...it will be bad plot.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 5:34 pm

It just recommends the change. It took over three hours to download the sample.(full program.) I tested it on some of my work. I'd say it was 70% okay.
I then tested it here on the forum with post made by members.

What I liked...is all you do is highlight, and hit F11. It works anywhere. It's only that 30% I don't like.

I'm looking for a program that will tell me:

1) You forgot to use a verb in that sentence.
2) Word spelled right, but it's the wrong word.
3) Comma correction.

If I could find aprogram that does that 100%...I would buy it. But, I still want to learn how to correct myself.

You might want to check it out...the free download.
Grammar check anywhere 2009
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 7:23 pm

Since I am the only person here who has been foolhardy enough to admit to being an English teacher affraid, I would suggest, as I would to my students, that you look at the programs, consider what they have to say, and then go with whatever you think is best for you and your writing, even if it doesn't follow the "rule."

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 6:35 am

You're forgiven, Ann.

Domenic, it sounds fine. Just don't let it change your style so you sound like everyone else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 12:09 pm

You know Pappalardo? There is no language that I can properly write. Although I have four fluent languages there is no language which I can write properly and even not read because there occur always misspelling in my reading and I might read some word quite different as it should to be.
I bothered me great deal during the schools and thanks the God I didn't need be there very long time.
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 3:57 pm

The grammar check on Word is largely useless and often infuriating.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 4:19 pm

There ain't no excuse fer not larning the grammar, the speling and the using of the words when you was in schol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Marie, alj, Dick harry, and Lan...thank you for the comments. I have been in contact with the owner who requested feed-back. If he can fix the problems with the program, I'm a buyer.
Dick, I don't think anything will change my style. I like writing like Domenic...less the grammar, and spelling.

My little friend E.Donna Pickerhead. Don't you get it? If your going to come on threads I start just to throw your childish digs...learn how. You come across like a little angry school girl. Are you upset with me because I don't understand why you have to sell your great books for only $.49 ? Or are you angry that I'm not in agreement with same-sex marrage?

I understand people like you want others to look up to you...if no one has told you, I will. You my peckerheaded friend, have never done anything in your life worth a second look, let alone being looked up to.
I am not your friend in real, or cyber life. When I told you to piss off for insulting my family name...I was not joking.
Twice you have said you were never going to address me again, and twice you have broken your word. Now I have to not only see you as a pickerhead, but a lier.

Let me say it again, just in case you did not understand it the many other times I said it to you.

Piss off. Get it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should you buy a grammar program?   Should you buy a grammar program? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should you buy a grammar program?
Page 1 of 1