Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Agents' guidelines

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Agents' guidelines Empty
PostSubject: Agents' guidelines   Agents' guidelines EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 2:28 am

I know this is not a positive way of looking at things but I do sometimes wonder if the guidelines used by publishers and agents are there to make it easier for them to reject submissions and are not designed to improve the chances of being accepted by those submitting.

I read Brenda's query letter and she seemed to be saying all the things an agent would like to hear. I don't think a letter written in the same format without the same content would have been successful.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Jenny
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Jenny

Number of posts : 531

Agents' guidelines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents' guidelines   Agents' guidelines EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 3:50 am

Shelagh,

I have to agree. Some agents are far more particular in what they request, even down to the way you format your manuscript. I've forgetton which agent's blog I was reading, but she said that unless she received exactly what the submission guidelines stated, in the correct format, then she didn't even bother to read the contents of the emailed query or letter. I'm sure I saved the link, if I find it, I'll post it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

Agents' guidelines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents' guidelines   Agents' guidelines EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 11:39 am

My impression from Noah Lukeman's amazon short about query letters is that agents look for reasons to reject as they go through stacks of queries.

I saw that as the same approach we all use when we go through a ton of e-mail. We don't have time to spend 10 minutes with each item, so we discard the spam, the newsletters we no longer care about, deals for which we have no money, until we get the inbasket whittled down to stuff from friends, on-going writing projects, etc.

My impression is that RED FLAGS (like bad formatting, narrow margins, sloppy editing) are going to kick queries into the waste basket about as fast as certain spam words kick e-mails into the trash folder.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Agents' guidelines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents' guidelines   Agents' guidelines EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:44 pm

I just saw this thread. For me I set guidelines to make it easier for me to read, absorb, and help the author. I don't know about other publishers. One author contacted me and asked me to read her manuscript. She asked how I wanted it submitted. I told her I needed a chapter sent via snail mail. She in turn replied via email that after she finished editing she would send it to me via email because she was "green". I told her don't bother to send it.

I do better with hard copies than computer copies because of my eyes. I didn't care if she was green or not. Evidently several other publishers felt the same way I did because she got rejected real quickly (I thought) from 4 other publishers.

For me there is a reason for everything. And NOT to make it more difficult for the author. Just to make it easier on me. But then... that is just my outlook.
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Agents' guidelines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents' guidelines   Agents' guidelines EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 pm

I agree. Back in the day when I worked the slush pile, a well written query letter was the first sign that the writer "got" was needed. Following the submission guidelines is something many writers can't seem to grasp.

A well written query letter may not get you in the door but a bad one, or one that doesn't follow the guideliness, will result in a fast rejection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Agents' guidelines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agents' guidelines   Agents' guidelines Empty

Back to top Go down

Agents' guidelines
Page 1 of 1