Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Flip Side of the Pond

Go down 
+5
Domenic Pappalardo
zadaconnaway
alice
E. Don Harpe
dmondeo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

The Flip Side of the Pond Empty
PostSubject: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyWed May 20, 2009 3:24 pm

We have arrived in the US of A.
A lovely town called Stuart near Palm City in Florida.Very Happy

Expecting glorious sunshine we are sadly disappointed
with the fact that it has rained since we got here.Sad

Have we Brits brought a curse upon this lovely town?

Has British weather been following us to Florida?

If the wonderful people of Stuart find out about this will we be taken from our beds and sent back to the UK or worse vanish off the face of this planet mysteriously?

I shall be venturing out tonight to see if I can find an ancient Elf enchantment that will solve our predicament.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyWed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Hopefully with a bit of luck the system that is now over the Atlantic side of Florida will keep moving until it reaches us here in the panhandle and then it will linger for a day or so. We need the rain, and if the systems doesn't move this way of it's own accord, and if you think you are bringing it, dmondeo, then perhaps you can rent a car, head up to I-10, drive west for about three hours, then south for another two, and have it follow you over this way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyWed May 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Thank you Don I shall keep that as plan B We shall find out tomorrow I guess .Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyWed May 20, 2009 4:04 pm

I just got off the phone wth our daughter. She, her husband, and two kids are drowning in Disney World.

We drowned in Seattlle last ngiht.

The weather is interesting!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyWed May 20, 2009 4:22 pm

I heard on the grapevine that Disney world is infested with some sort of giant mouse so we won't be going there. I hope that rodent drowns.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyWed May 20, 2009 4:34 pm

But I love that rodent! lol!
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyThu May 21, 2009 7:40 am

Today the weather is still gloomy.
Tomorrow we will be off to Orlando to visit Bush Gardens we shall be staying there for 3 days.
My plan is to sneak back while the bad weather is not looking and hope that Stuart and Palm city will be sunny once again. If this fails I shall head on up to the Panhandle and visit Don so that he can benefit from all this rain. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyThu May 21, 2009 7:43 am

I do hope the weather clears for you. Sunny Florida is a true joy to behold. And then the heat will become unbearable later in the year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyThu May 21, 2009 8:04 am

We are not used to heat in the northern hemisphere Zada as typical Brits we moan when it's hot, groan when it's cold and curse when it's neither.

Still our 25th wedding anniversary US trip is enjoyable. The people we have met are very nice and welcoming, the food is great.
I for one am enjoying it all whatever the weather (I'm not one for stripping off and sunbathing so lounging in the hot sun is not for me really) but saying that I do enjoy sunny days.
Well I'm off out to visit the Mall for some shopping and a little American lunch experience. There are a few American culinary dishes I would like to try while I am over here.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:13 am

Ok we are back in Stuart Florida.
The weather followed us back and looks like it will stay for the rest of the week.
So what should I do ? Maybe just enjoy the Sunny breaks that do occur and chill. Very Happy

Other than the weather it is great here and relaxing. In Orlando We walked so much I sustained an injured tendon in my foot which has gotten very painful plus I now have a nasty tooth ache (could be connected in some oriental holistic fashion, pressure points and all that who knows??).

We have another week here so maybe I can do a little of the writing I had envisaged I would be doing.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:23 am

You should take a day and drive down to Key West. Visit the home of Hemingway...it is open to the public. I understand all writers who visit there, later have a best seller...it's magic.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:29 am

dmondeo, I for got to congratulate you on your anniversary earlier. I'm hoping you have grand time in Florida in honor of your years together.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 9:55 am

zadaconnaway wrote:
I do hope the weather clears for you. Sunny Florida is a true joy to behold. And then the heat will become unbearable later in the year.

Zada, Florida is unbearably hot in March. Then Marie says it's "only" in the 80s now. Ladies, anything above 75 is HOT.

Count your blessings, dmondeo. It could have been normal for your visit. Better yet, come up to the Western Reserve where the weather is always great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 10:19 am

dmondeo,

Happy Annivversry! Twenty-five is a real milestone.

Take care of that tooth. It hurts to read about it.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 10:34 am

Dmondeo,
I have three brothers living in Florida. I rarely visit them because it's just too hot for me. Visiting Florida in the winter months is the best bet.
Sorry you're having bad weather. Hope you're not too disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Domenic, I've visited Hemingway's place in Key West and am still waiting to become a famous author.

Last week it was a beautiful 80 degree day in northern Wisconsin. That night while watching TV, a frost warning scrolled across the screen. It only got down to 43 however.

Dmondeo, Happy anniversary!

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyTue May 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Dear dmondeo,

Rain! Glorious rain! The thing about rain in Florida is that it can dump 10 inches in an hour and the roads drain off and there you are....a brand new day! Welcome to Forida, by the way. Perhaps you would like to come and see a hydroponic farm????? 8950 Bunker Hill Road, Duette, FL 34219 for the map quest search. I would love to show you around.

Have a wonderful time while you are here. Get an umbrella and walk in the rain. It is warm and you won't melt. When you walk in a real downpour and you are under the umbrella, the water seems to come from the ground in little spouts like bubbling soup.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyWed May 27, 2009 4:24 pm

To day after a hellish night with excruciating pain in my tooth I had to brave a visit to a dentist.

Well after an xray and the most painful probing of my tooth it was revealed that I had split the tooth vertically and it had set up an absis under the root.
This meant that I had to have an emergency extraction of around $450 from our holiday fund as well as my tooth.
So I sit here waiting for the pain killer to take effect while I type this.

Thank you Betty for your invite but I have to rest for a couple of days (doctors orders) plus the additional journey won't fit into our schedule now as we will be heading up toward Miami for the weekend. It is a shame that would have been wonderful.

Still we are having a nice time and meeting some nice folk.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyThu May 28, 2009 7:39 am

dmondeo,

I am glad they found the problem and will pull the tooth.
It took them 4 failed root canals to find that mine was an impossible case

It was split where no x-ray could spot it.

You will feel better the instant that tooth is out of your mouth.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyThu May 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Spent most of today knocked out by the medication, Slept in until 11am. Just as well seeing as my face felt like it had been hit by a truck. The Flip Side of the Pond 293992
Tommorow is my wifes 50th birthday so I needed to be at least semi conscious for the event. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyFri May 29, 2009 4:08 am

dmondeo, I hope you are feeling well enough today to enjoy your wife's birthday. Once your absess goes down, they can remove the tooth and all will be well.

50? A milestone, to be sure. Wish her a happy day for me!
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyFri May 29, 2009 6:48 am

Thank you zada
I actually had the tooth removed on Wednesday (it was felt by the doctor that it was better to remove it and treat the abscess afterward in my case) and after the anesthetic wore off that was when the most painful part of all began.
Today the medication is doing it's job and I feel a lot healthier.
The pain killer I was given seems to knock you out, but today I can manage with just anvil and the sun is shinning out side.
So today looks a good one.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyFri May 29, 2009 7:02 am

dmondeo,

I hope they gave you the tooth. I had mine and planned heinous things to do with it.

I enjoyed looikng at it and telling it how much I hated it.

I planned to leave it in the snow atop a mountain, cast it into the English Channel,etc.

I can't recall what I finally did with it --sure hope I don't run across it in our house.

I might have to exeorcise the house. affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond EmptyFri May 29, 2009 7:10 am

I got to look at the little blighter, It looked up at me with an evil glint in it's eye and said "dada".
I felt whatever the doc had planned for it would likely be 100 times better than I in my frail condition could think up. Very Happy
I'm sure a medical incinerator is a fitting end for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Flip Side of the Pond   The Flip Side of the Pond Empty

Back to top Go down

The Flip Side of the Pond
Page 1 of 1