Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day) Empty
PostSubject: Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)   Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day) EmptyThu May 07, 2009 3:16 am

Mother’s Hands
A.W. Nutter

Standing before you shivering in fear
A frightened child shedding my tears
Finding comfort in your warm embrace
As you wiped the tears from my face

So much love in my mother’s hands

Quick to shower me with your affection
Shoving me gently in the right direction
When I did stray I never felt your wrath
As you placed my feet back on the path

So much love in my mother’s hands

I can still hear your voice calling my name
Only in my imagination, I grin just the same
In dreams I picture your face and warm smile
I wish I could still speak with you for a while

I miss you Mother, Happy Mother’s Day
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)   Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day) EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:04 am

This will be my first year without a mother. I put this on here last year soon after she died:

I wear her sweater, a light-weight lacy off-white one that is great in air-conditioned restaurants. I feel her arms around me. I wear her cologne from a small bottle of Vanilla Fields and feel her scent surround me. I look through her pictures, write up her life, plan the music for the memorial service, contact family.

And I do strange things. I shop. I hear her say, “Take off my sweater.”

My daughter Peggy arrived from Virginia. We spend time together three times a year as we visit her in Virginia or she comes here on a yearly visit home. We always take a trip to shop at a favorite store. There is one in Virginia and one in Wisconsin. We wander and try on clothes, model them and give our opinions and yes, leave with pretty little bags.

“Stop, Carol. Don’t look at those price tags. That looks pretty on you. Just take it up to the counter and put it with the others.”

“Mom, what are you talking about? You never told me that before. You were frugal. I was, am frugal.”

“Frugal. Who cares. Buy those pretty clothes.”

Where are you Mom? I feel your sweater, I smell you scent, I look in the mirror and see your eyes.

“You just buy those pretty clothes.”

My mother's dying rallies my family around me: cooking meals, and in general helping out. Peggy comes, and, of course, since her siblings and nieces and nephews only get to see her once a year, they come by frequently. (When Peggy comes home, she fits right in like she lives here all the time.) One night my son calls, “We’re up in Baraboo. We’ll be there in ten minutes. We’re bringing dessert.” Chocolate cream pie. It is delicious.

Of course I know this will end after the service. Life will go on. Next week I’ll do the work of being my mother’s head survivor, taking all the materials to an attorney to help with probate, etc., writing thank-you notes.

And she never, in all my life told me she loved me. Never.

“Well, for goodness sake, Carol. Of course I did.”

“What, Mom?”

“You know, you just know. Of course I did, of course. . .

And she is gone in the dust, slipped the bonds of earth and illness, has gone off dancing with my father and is talking to all those relatives in my books and finding out if my stories had any truth to them, the ones I made up but could feel those relatives over my shoulder telling me what to write.

I realize that my empathy for her turned to sympathy as things happened to her body I didn’t even know could happen to bodies, horrible things. I realize that as she deteriorated and could no longer do what she loved, I joined her in not playing the piano, not doing needlework, not reading.

She knew those things, even if she was in a nursing home and I never told her. She just knew.

And a few days after her dying, I get the piano tuned and now play every day. I get out the needlework. I organize a little pile of books to read.

“Of course I did. . . of course. You enjoy those pretty clothes.”

“Good-bye, Mom.”

“Good-bye, Sweetheart.

Carol Troestler Copyright 2008
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Rhymer
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Rhymer

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)   Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day) EmptyThu May 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Your mother sounds great Carol, I think you missher.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/abcedit
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)   Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day) EmptyThu May 07, 2009 5:10 pm

I do. I miss the person she was when we could talk and discuss books and she'd come over and celebrate so many events with the family.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)   Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day) EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:19 pm

You both have shared some beautiful thoughts here. I too miss my mother. Happy Mother's Day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)   Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day) Empty

Back to top Go down

Mother's Hands (Happy Mothers Day)
Page 1 of 1