Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Can what you write affect you?

Go down 
+8
lin
Phil Whitley
JoElle
Abe F. March
thehairymob
Sue
Dick Stodghill
Carol Troestler
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Can what you write affect you? Empty
PostSubject: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 7:56 am

In this, I mean can the process and content of one's writing, what one has created, affect one either positively or negatively, give the writer good feelings and inspire, or trouble the writer?
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 am

I suppose it depends upon the individual. I write hardboiled detective stories and noir, which is dark with an air of hopelessness and inevitable disaster about it, but it has no effect at all on me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 am

Really, Dick? No effect/affect on you? I thought that is what made you grouchy and stodgy? *giggle*
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:22 am

As a writer you need a thick skin, not just to deal with rejection but also the memories and the images that fill our minds; no matter how hard these may be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 11:55 am

Carol,
yes, to me it does. I wonder about the reaction of the reader. Did they like it? Did they learn something? Did it irritate them? Will there be repercussions?
This is especially true with my novel, "They Plotted Revenge Against America." With the promotion planned for May, I expect to receive criticism. I had to deal with that possibility before I sought publication. I knew the risk I was taking but felt it was worth the risk.
The change of pace is the romance novel that was accepted for publication. My feelings about that are entirely different.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 am

Carol! Oh my yes!

When I write my stories I am THERE. I am in my story's world and I am each and every character.

In my romances I feel the love each character has for the other. If a character is hurt, I feel it.

If I am writing something very emotional I feel drained.

I've even developed 'crushes' on my characters.

Very often if I've been writing for hours and have to suddenly stop ... because we've arrived a truck stop to eat or something ... it takes me awhile to 'shake away' where I have been and return to reality.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Last weekend I took my daughter down to my old homeplace and visited
"The Rock" on top of the mountain where my novel Keechie is set. We
were sitting on the rock, soaking up the energy that seems to permeate
the atmosphere.

I turned to my daughter and said, "You know Keechie is buried right down there?"

For a brief moment in time, I really believed it.

So yes, what I write affects me - usually in a positive way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 12:58 pm

My work has gotten me fired, sued, jailed, beaten up, shot at, and literally run out of town.

Does that count?
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 pm

No, Lin, it doesn't count until the people who don't like your writing quit beating around the bush and tell you straight out how they feel about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm

I wrote a story, "Ice Storm," in which a woman leaves a highway in a whiteout with disastrous results. It's due for publication in Romance of My Dreams anthology soon.

Just before Easter, I drove my mom from Florida to Michigan. As we left Kentucky, severe weather set in. By Indiana, we were scanning the sky for tornado funnels as the radio beeped its severe warnings.

This continued through high and gusty winds and torrential rain in Indiana that turned to sleet, then slush and finally a blinding wet snow whiteout at the Indiana, Michigan border. It was 11:00 p.m.

I was afraid to keep driving and afraid to leave the road in the middle of nowhere - ghosts haunting me from the short story I wrote; not wishing to meet her same fate. Mother kept telling me to continue, but she is 90; and the stress was getting to us both. I was damned to continue and damned to leave the road, just like my heroine in "The Ice Storm." Unlike her, I found a truck and stuck like glue.

Fortunately, the weather improved the further north we traveled. It was just a little too close to fiction on that trip.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 3:55 pm

My next novel to be published in the fall, Ghost Orchid, begins with a fatal crash as a car makes a left from a road in the swamp onto a curving highway. Another passing car on the double lanes is hidden by a truck. The left-turning vehicle has time to turn before the slow truck, but is caught by the passing car.

I turn left out of a similar road quite often. I watch that traffic until there's not a vehicle as far as I can see in either direction. The road spooks me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm

I have to say that when I write of the animals that I see, the god-awful-ness of the world does not exist. Perhaps it is that the human ego does not exist. It does not involve hypothetical stuff. Time is now and not into the future to figure out. Every thing in the animal world is life and death and joy. I imagine that those three things explain most any animal's life. I like the joy part. I have seen the dance.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm

Carol I like your reference to "trouble". That's the kind of level I find myself effected to when I write - I try to keep a professional distance, but there are some things that leave me a little itchy I call it, which is probably troubled. At one time I was writing about some stories that take place in the dark - spooky corners and the like. I still don't like taking the garbage out to the dumpster in the back of our building, because i am reminded of a couple of those stories and get the willies.
The other feeling that I get from my writing is a huge feeling of satisfaction when I get something finished. That's probably one of my favourite feelings of all. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 pm

I remember staying stressed, irritable, and angry while I was writing the wartime portion of A Myth in Action. The anger was directed at the "mindless machine" that the war seemed to be. From the government leaders to the admirals and generals to the technology that produced the sophisticated weaponry, there seemed to be something that was completely oblivious to the plight of the foot soldiers whose very existence was on the line, like those soldiers were pawns in a monumental chess game. I had a book on my shelves, a book that had belonged, I think, to one of my uncles, and had found its way to my parents' bookcase, and from there to mine when my mom moved in with me. The book was called My Three Years with Eisenhower, and was written by his naval aide, Capt. "Harry" Butcher. It told of major decisions that were made during and just after bridge games, played by Ike and his higher officers and staff. If I had not already developed strong feelings for the rights and needs of all the everyday citizens of Main Street (as opposed to Wall Street), to take the metaphor to our current situations, writing that part of that book would have done it, hands down.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can what you write affect you?   Can what you write affect you? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can what you write affect you?
Page 1 of 1