Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Title Question

Go down 
+2
Brenda Hill
dtpollard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Title Question   Title Question EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 pm

I had selected a title for my next book and thought it was perfect. I did searches and didn't find it anywhere. Now I've found a book with the exact main title. the book is in a totally different subject area but it is a recnt release.

Is it worth it to use the same title when this other book will come up in all searches on the title, etc?
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 pm

There are two schools of thought on that, DT. Some say they don't want the same title as potential customers will have to wade through several pages of the other title, especially if it's popular, to reach theirs, and the other thought is their title will will show up more often.

I think it depends on how much you like the title. With my first novel, PA strongly suggested I change my title since someone else had a similar one, and I felt horrible about it. But I kept playing with words and came up with Ten Times Guilty, which I think is fantastic.

So I'd say pick some words that might apply to your book and play with them, arrange them one way then another and see which one makes you think, that's it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:19 pm

I wouldn't want the same title if I knew a recent release also had it. But if your goal with this book is commercial publication, I also wouldn't worry about it, since the pub will ultimately decide that issue (as well as probably choose the title).
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Is there any way to read part of the new release book so you would have some idea of the quality of the book? If it was not such a great book (I'm not sure who would determine that!), you may not want your book associated with the other book. On the other hand, if it is a fabulous book, having a similar name could lead people to your book.

I liked Brenda's suggestion of playing around with words to see if another title comes forth.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 pm

LC wrote:
I wouldn't want the same title if I knew a recent release also had it. But if your goal with this book is commercial publication, I also wouldn't worry about it, since the pub will ultimately decide that issue (as well as probably choose the title).

So true, LC. A friend worked and worked on her title, and when she sold to a romance publisher, they promptly changed it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 4:19 pm

I have heard it a hundred times...don't get too attached to your title.

It's hard, especially if you really like it!

But, I don't think I would want my book to have the exact title as another. Just my opinion....
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 5:56 pm

I loved my title, Arirang: The Bamboo Connection, and have had nothing but negative criticism of that title since published. No one can pronounce it; half the time it's called The Bamboo Connection; and in general a reprint with a different publisher would get a new title. I still LOVE the title as it is the title of the song from which the book theme is derived; but literally NO ONE likes it. No one, except me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the input. The duplicate title turned out to be a good thing. It forced me to think of a title that more closely fit the subject and with better marketing pop. It is also unique which should help with web visiblity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Title Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Title Question   Title Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Title Question
Page 1 of 1