Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What to do first ?!

Go down 
+6
Betty Fasig
Phil Whitley
JoElle
lin
Shelagh
Johnny Ghost
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Johnny Ghost

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-11-10

What to do first ?! Empty
PostSubject: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 8:56 am

I just completed my book, but I don't know whether to get it copyrighted first of edited. Reason is, not sure I should send an uncopyrighted book to someone for editing.

Also, if I get it coyrighted first will the differences added by the editing void the the unedited copyright? In other words, does the published version and the copyrighted version have to be identical?

I realize this is a question that probably only a newbie would ask, so please bare with me and help me if you can.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 9:30 am

Hi Johnny,

Your book is copyrighted from the moment you put pen to paper or printer's ink to paper or simply typed it into a word processor.

When you send the manuscript to the copyright office, it should be pretty much as it will appear in print.

I understand your concerns over your work but, by the time you have amassed a pile of rejection slips, you will soon realise that your work really isn't much use to anyone else. Your ideas, yes, but not your actual written work.

POD publishers such as PublishAmerica require all manuscripts to be legally copyrighted. This is not to protect the author but to protect the publisher against claims for publishing previously published work. In other words, not to protect you from having your work stolen but to ensure that you didn't steal it from someone else!

Good luck with finding a publisher!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Johnny Ghost

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 10:46 am

Shelagh wrote:
Hi Johnny,

Your book is copyrighted from the moment you put pen to paper or printer's ink to paper or simply typed it into a word processor.

When you send the manuscript to the copyright office, it should be pretty much as it will appear in print.

I understand your concerns over your work but, by the time you have amassed a pile of rejection slips, you will soon realise that your work really isn't much use to anyone else. Your ideas, yes, but not your actual written work.

POD publishers such as PublishAmerica require all manuscripts to be legally copyrighted. This is not to protect the author but to protect the publisher against claims for publishing previously published work. In other words, not to protect you from having your work stolen but to ensure that you didn't steal it from someone else!

Good luck with finding a publisher!

Thank you, with that I well get it straight to an editor.

All though I have to confess, I don't fully understand what you mean when you say something is copyrighted the minute one types it in a word processor.

Are you saying if someone liked your writings and decided to get it copyrighted before you did; they would have no legal right to it? Or are you saying it's unlikely that anyone would do so?

I'm sorry if these are redundant questions but I'm very new at this, please bare with me.

Thank you-
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 10:55 am

You work is legally copyrighted (under U.S. law) as soon as you create it. Just like things in your house are legally yours. If somebody violates your ownership, your recourse is to sue them. To do so, you need proof of prior authorship. (In order to go to court, you also need copyright registration)

I'd suggest this, register it as is with WGA ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] online for like $20. That will establish your ownership and has serious weight. You can't take it to court, but it's usually enough that a letter from a lawyer citing the registration number is enough for people to desist or settle. (Few of these cases ever reach the courtroom)

This should ease your mind about showing the thing around. If, at some later date, you want to register another version, you can do that.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Johnny Ghost

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 11:06 am

lin wrote:
You work is legally copyrighted (under U.S. law) as soon as you create it. Just like things in your house are legally yours. If somebody violates your ownership, your recourse is to sue them. To do so, you need proof of prior authorship. (In order to go to court, you also need copyright registration)

I'd suggest this, register it as is with WGA ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] online for like $20. That will establish your ownership and has serious weight. You can't take it to court, but it's usually enough that a letter from a lawyer citing the registration number is enough for people to desist or settle. (Few of these cases ever reach the courtroom)

This should ease your mind about showing the thing around. If, at some later date, you want to register another version, you can do that.

Thank you Lin I will certainly look into that. Someone also told me I could mail a copy to myself by Postal Registered letter as proof of dated authorship.

Thanks all-
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 1:00 pm

I just go ahead and register my completed manuscripts with the government copyright office.

I know I don't really need to. But it doesn't cost a lot and in the long shot event anything should happen. It is one more thing to back me up.

Here's some good info: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 3:40 pm

JoElle, I'm more confused after reading the link you gave! LOL

That was for copyright registration - not the copyright itself. Another thing that is confusing is how to submit a work for copyright. For Keechie,
I printed it out and sent it in with a check and the application form.
I have heard of some people sending their manuscript in on a CD, but
the Govt says that to do that, you must also send them the program
(Word, etc.) that it is created in!

Why can't they just say what they mean in plain English? Wait - don't answer that...
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 4:44 pm

In the old days, you could type out your book, send it certified mail to your self, not open it when you got it and signed for it and that would serve for a primitive way.

To apply for copyright cost 30 dollars, you send the copyright office your manuscript and they send you the copyright . You frame it, hang it on your wall and smile every time you walk past it. Very Happy

I wish you the best.

Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Remember, though, that some publishers frown on a previously copyrighted manuscript. In any event, the chance of someone stealing your material unless it is of a highly technical nature is remote. This is especially true of fiction. Betty's method of mailing the manuscript to yourself by certified mail and then leaving it sealed is still a good one. For the numerous short stories and non-fiction books I have written and had published I never even considered spending the money for a formal copyright. Aside from those who write technical manuals, few writers do. When a work is published, mainstream publishers take care of the copyright.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Dick,
that's how I do it. I either print out the ms and mail it to myself and leave the package unopened. The last time, I placed it on a disc and mailed it to myself.
Proof of ownership is what is necessary, but you made an interesting point. If one is trying to protect technical information, I think going through the process may be justified. Otherwise, no. Anyone can take a story, change names, rewrite sentences, change formats and call it their own. Look what happens to patents. They are stolen constantly by making revisions to the original patent.
I was told by an inventor, that the best protection one has is to get the product on the market fast, get the name out there and don't worry about the copycats. While they're trying to copy, you can work on your next invention. I think that same thing can apply to writing books. Trying to protect that elusive "bestseller" is often wasted time. Having the actual problem of a "bestseller" would be a good problem to have.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Having the actual problem of a "bestseller" would be a good problem to have.

I agree Abe - it'd be a problem I'd certainly welcome too! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Johnny, as a freelance manuscript editor, and as someone who has edited for a small publisher, I can tell you that the last thing on an editor's mind is to steal someone's work. When I'm privledged to edit a manscript I think is fantastic, I let the author know how much I enjoyed his/her book. I may even buy a copy when it's available.

But good editors who stay in business are usually moral ones. I would never tromp on a client's trust by plagiarizing their material, and I know other editors who feel the same. Jim Woods, who belongs to this forum, is one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do first ?!   What to do first ?! Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do first ?!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: