Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

History and current events

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

History and current events Empty
PostSubject: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 am

History is the study of past events.  Does one’s age influence the investigation of historical facts/events?  This is a serious question.  I find myself checking past events as a means to evaluate the actions of current events.   Jumping to conclusions based on limited information is a common error.  Waiting for the facts to be revealed requires patience.  Does our impatience cause us to repeat errors with poor judgment? 
Reading about historical events is enlightening.  Example: We can ascertain why a war started and what could have been done to prevent it.  We have the opportunity to evaluate current political actions and predict the outcome based on past events of a similar nature yet some politicians show their ignorance by making uninformed statements ignoring history. 
I am of the opinion that more emphasis should be placed on teaching history in our schools without glossing over embarrassing facts.  Example:   Historical facts concerning the Native  Americans , their existence before the invasion by the Europeans and the genocide they perpetrated has been whitewashed in our history books.  Hiding the truth doesn’t change the facts.  

The Middle East as the new year begins:
It appears that not much has changed with regard to the dilemma between Israel and the Palestinians.  Have you ever wondered what the Middle East would be like if Israel did not exist?  Looking at history can help with some clarification on the issue.  We know that the creation of the State of Israel began with the theft of land to provide a place for European Jews following WWII.  The following website provides information in various categories for those interested in more learning more.  It is not the only reference and one should do their own search if they seek answers.
http://ifamericaknew.org/history/realstory.html
The problems surrounding the conduct of the State of Israel continues to affect nations around the world.  These problems will not be resolved without a neutral and honest peace broker.   The US has tried to play that role and progress was made during the Carter and Clinton administrations, however the agreements reached were not honored by Israel.  It even caused the death of Yitzhak Rabin, an Israeli politician, statesman and general. He was the fifth Prime Minister of Israel, serving two terms in office, 1974–77 and 1992 until his assassination in 1995.  Mr. Rabin, who rose to national prominence as commander of the victorious Israeli army in the 1967 Six-Day War, became the second Middle Eastern leader, after President Anwar el-Sadat of Egypt, to be killed by extremists from his own side for seeking an Arab-Israeli peace.
The extreme right in Israel does not want peace unless it is on their own terms being the conquest of Palestinian territory.  The establishment of settlements with the intent to annex the territories they occupy continues as the main roadblock.  Resistance to the occupation is normal and expected. 
Jerusalem has been a sticking point with regard to a final settlement.  Trump’s action to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital eliminated the US as an impartial peace broker.  This action has added fuel on an already smoldering fire. 
The amount of US aid to Israel is staggering.  Do your own search on the amount of US aid to Israel.  The threat to cut aid to Israel as a means for compliance to UN Resolutions is a weapon not used.  Why?  Is the Israeli lobby too strong?  Do they have too much control in our Government?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Jan 04, 2018 7:24 am

How far back in history should we go, Abe? Jerusalem was a Jewish settlement, where Jews prayed in the temple built by King Solomon in the 10th Century BC. All that remains is the west wall of the temple. The Dome of the Rock is built next to the layers of fallen rubble from the destroyed temple. To say that land was stolen in 1948 is to deny history.

Although peace prevails in Northern Ireland, the divide between Catholics and Protestants is still in evidence. The Orange Order of Protestants in Northern Ireland takes its name from William of Orange, the Dutch monarch who defeated the Irish Catholics in the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. King Billy is still idolised by the NI Protestants to this day. People have very long memories.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/events/battle_of_the_boyne

Last edited by Shelagh on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Jan 04, 2018 8:47 am

I am not talking about ancient history, but modern times. 

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 am

It appears silent on this forum.  I haven’t received recent notifications about comments.  Is the forum dying or has personal problems interfered?
There is much attention given on FB to political views along with conditions affecting our environment and problems in the international arena.  Trump continues to blunder with his tweets. He fails to understand the difference between Climate and Weather.  Brexit is still in the news causing havoc within the British Parliament.  The stumbling block appears to be over Ireland where the Irish want open borders between the North and South rather than a border.  Attempts to Re-negotiate the Brexit deal has given the PM some breathing room, however the EU has publicly stated that re-negotiation is not possible.  The end result will be interesting to observe.  The US is considering intervention in Venezuela. While claiming not to be the world’s policeman, interference in other countries tell a different story.  While Trump claims to have defeated ISIS, his own intelligence agency disagrees.  Shutdown of the government over a border wall has affected thousands of workers.  Security is touted as the issue, however experts on security disagree. The technology available can provide the security needed rather than a “vanity” wall.  People are already announcing their candidacy for the next election that will be a hard-fought battle with issues such as healthcare, minimum wage, taxes on the wealthy as well as the environment will take center stage.  The US debt is increasing.  Experts blame the reduction of tax on the wealthy as a primary reason.  The government wants to reduce the deficit by taking away the security umbrella of the lower class.  It will not end well.  People with nothing to lose may decide to fight back and it could become violent.
Many who sit on the sidelines feel powerless.  The only sane weapon available to us is our voice and our vote.  Even our vote is in jeopardy.   Manipulation of votes by electronic means as well as hurdles placed to restrict voting is a concern.  In addition, it has been announced that the Russians are already devising plans to interfere with our elections – again. 
Religion will again play a role.   I’m currently reading a book with the title: “Fantasyland- How America went Haywire.  A 500-year history.”  The author is Kurt Andersen and the book is on the New York Times Bestseller List.  Another comment on the book cover is: “The indispensable book for understanding America in the age of Trump.”
My views are influenced by books I read and with current events in the news.  I believe that forming opinions are based on our input.  Sharing these views is simply a method to inform and to stimulate critical thinking.  There are times, I must admit, when I can identify with the cliché “Ignorance is Bliss”, however in the Age of Information, we cannot excuse ignorance.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 7:10 am

Re: the wall.
Illegal migrants pose a problem across the Mexican border, but drug trafficking appears to be the main problem. In the UK, drugs are readily available and pushers as young as thirteen are involved in the criminal activity.You mentioned Brexit and UK borders. Currently, a million cigarettes per day are smuggled into Wales alone, and smugglers are abusing the soft Ireland border checks to get people into  the UK. Tightening the UK's borders after Brexit might be a great asset to customs officers.

Re: Brexit negotiations.
The EU has been in control of the negotiations since day one, and still is. Parliament has rejected the Withdrawal Agreement and unless the EU is prepared to make changes, the UK will leave on the 29th March without a deal.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jan 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Shelagh, I was delighted to get your feedback from my post.  Just knowing that it was read is rewarding.  I expected some reaction from you when I mentioned Brexit.   The following website from the BBC gives a good explanation: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887
Naturally, the point of view of people living in the UK are seldom noted unless some reporter asks for opinions.  Foreign newspapers and TV broadcasts can paint a different picture.  My opinion is just an opinion based on what I read and hear.  As for the US proposed wall, drug trafficking will not be prevented since most drugs enter from regular ports, i.e., airports and ships that a wall cannot stop.  Security on the border has been enhanced electronically.  In my view, a better way to stop drug trafficking is to decriminalize it.  Although some States are allowing the use and growing of Cannabis, it should be a national decree.   The use of a natural substance has benefits.  There are always those who will use it to obtain a “high”, however they can get the same or similar highs from prescription drugs with harmful side-effects.  It should be noted that Guns have killed more people in the US than drug-related deaths.  It has been reported that no one has died from using Cannabis.   
An analogy could be made with children and their lust for candy. Instead of restricting the amount they eat, give them all they want until they are tired of it.  Too much sugar is harmful.  It is human nature to want what is prohibited, whether it is moral or immoral.  Try telling an American that they must give up their guns.  Claiming that they need them for security is as dumb as a building a wall.  What I find amusing is that the Evangelicals who claim their faith in God don’t rely on him for protection.  At the same time “In God we Trust” is printed on US currency.  One could define this as “In money (or guns) we Trust.” Actions reveal who or what a person is.  Unfair or unreasonable laws are ignored.  People tend to do what they feel is right for themselves.  The battle between the “haves” and the “have-nots” continue and it is a political issue.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 am

Sugar in the modern diet is the main cause for the upsurge in diabetes. Ten billion pounds per annum, a tenth of the NHS budget, are spent on treating diabetes. Cigarettes are heavily taxed to compensate for the medical costs of lung related diseases. Cannabis is twenty-five times more carcinogenic than cigarettes. Legalising drugs would create another burden on the NHS. People are not sensible. Young people consider old age to be a distant prospect and don't anticipate the illneesses they may suffer from eventually.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm

“Young people consider old age to be a distant prospect and don't anticipate the illneesses they may suffer from eventually.”

True.  How does one deal with the mentality of the young?  We know that they will experiment and do things that are forbidden whether the taboos come from their parents or from the authorities.  Some reverse psychology may be needed.  “Go ahead and do it.  Here are the consequences you can expect.  So long as you are willing to accept the responsibility for your actions, the choice is yours.”
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Another swindle from the farmers being perpetrated by outsiders. 
The latest swindle/theft are wine/grape leaves. Thieves go into the vineyards at night and strip the leaves from the stalks and sell them to restaurants.  A favorite delicacy is stuffed wine leaves.  At a Greek restaurant they stuff them with feta cheese and some meat.  In addition to stealing these leaves, orchards get picked clean during the night.  There is an effort in progress to catch these thieves.  Buyers will have to reveal the source of their product.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 3:25 am

One of the contenders for new leader of the Conservative Party says he will legalise foxhunting if he's elected leader. The response from the country was overwhelmigly in favour of keeping the ban on blood sports, and banning factory farming and the importation and exportation of live animals. The EU protections are not as protective as they ought to be!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 11:55 pm

The UK Ambassador to the US is suffering from telling the truth.  His honest report to the UK Parliament was leaked to the press – an obvious breach of security.  Brexit is still an issue and becoming more political. It should be clear by now that anything associated with Trump will turn sour.  Trump’s support of Johnson is not a good thing for Johnson. 
In the meanwhile, Trump cancelling the Iran agreement is creating serious consequences.  Trump says that Iran breached the agreement.  How can an agreement be breached if it was cancelled?  The comments by the UK Ambassador were correct is saying that Trump is inept and a danger.  Thinking that Trump will honor a trade agreement with Brexit is foolhardy, IMV.  He cannot be trusted.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 2:40 am

None of our politicians can be trusted. The media once again have failed to mention the irony of a leaky government official calling another government inept! Pot calling the kettle black.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 2:57 pm

We have a new prime minister. If the EU thinks that renegotiating a deal, which parliament rejected three times, is not possible, then the UK is prepared to leave without a deal. Our economy is more dependent on the financial sector than on exports. The wealth of the UK is held by less than one percent of the population. If leaving without a deal hits them hard,  the rest of the country will show no sympathy. Financial wealth that benefits the few is of no advantage to the vast majority of the population. Being in charge of how we are governed might produce a better society to live in with less crime and a greater sense of community. Things could not be worse than they are at the moment, despite being one of the world's wealthiest countries.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 11:23 pm

I feel sad for the UK.  It appears that they have elected their own Trump.  The support Johnson received from Trump says much.  It is recognized that Russia influenced the election of Trump and it is suspected that Russia had a role in Johnson’s election.  Russia is succeeding in breaking up the European alliance with their puppet Trump and Johnson may become another puppet.  It is said that “Laughter is the best medicine” and my wife says that Trump has helped to improve her health with much laughter.  That laughter has turned sour when realizing that a world leader could be so stupid/incompetent.  The danger posed is not a laughing matter.  Tony Blair followed the US with the invasion of Iraq, based on lies.  I suspect that Johnson would follow Trump in his quest to attack Iran.  The UK is dealing with a problem in the Gulf with one of their ships being held by the Iranians in a “Tit for Tat” episode.  It is sad to admit; however, I would trust the word of the Iranians over the word of Trump.  His record of lies speaks loudly.  Even if he told the truth, it would be difficult to believe him.   
I agree with Alice in wishing for simpler times where honor and integrity dominated one’s life.  The older folk who lived history and speak out, are largely ignored.  The elderly Germans see a similarity with Hitler and Trump and it is frightening.  A power-hungry leader is cause for concern.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 am

The Russians had nothing to do with the election of leader of the Tories. One candidate represented the remain camp and the other the leavers. Only fully paid up members of the Tory Party were eligible to vote. The Conservative Party had 124,000 members as of March 2018, and 180,000 in July 2019. The additional members of the party were remain voters who joined the party when a vote of no confidence was held against the prime minister in December, which made them eligible to vote this July. Boris Johnson received 66% of the votes, which would have been even greater without the extra members, who do not support the Conservative Party but joined simply to try to install another remain prime minister.

If we do not leave on October 31st, it will be the end of the Tory Party. The Brexit Party will emerge to take the UK out of the EU without a deal. Nothing to do with Russia, or Trump or any other outside influence. We are an island, and that's our strength. You could blow up the Channel tunnel, and I would clap my hands. 
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 am

Boris Johnson is travelling round the UK trying to undo the damage Mrs May caused. Meanwhile, the media are spinning everything they can in a frantic effort to stop the UK leaving without a deal on October 31st. Of course, it isn't leaving without a deal that upsets them so much; it's the finality of leaving that sends them into a frenzy of project fear rhetoric.

The EU is refusing to do anything to bring about a settlement on how the UK leaves, which is fine by me. The sooner we are gone, the better.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jul 31, 2019 6:36 am

Sorry to hear you say that, Shelagh.  The breakup of the EU has been an objective of Putin and Trump.  It brings to mind the adage “United we Stand, divided we fall.”    “Divide and conquer” has been a successful military strategy and it is used as a political strategy as well.  Trump is using that strategy in the US. Trying to make the Press “the enemy of the people” is nothing new.  It worked for Hitler and it appears to be the play book of Trump.  Power-driven leaders use whatever suits their needs.  Outside observers, like me, form opinions.  Sometimes they are more objective than those closer to the situation/events.  Whatever happens in Europe has no immediate effect on me, however the long-term effect is a concern.  The efforts to breakup NATO are a threat to the security of the western world.  Since that didn’t succeed, as of yet, the breakup of the EU is a step in that direction.  One single country like the UK may not destroy the alliance, however it is a step in that direction.  The long-term results of decisions made for short-term gain concerns people with knowledge of history.  The alarm bells are sounding.   The Press, although imperfect, is one of the most valued standards of freedom that gives us all the right to speak out.  The incrimination we receive usually come from friends.  Sensitive issues are largely avoided for fear of criticism.  At my age, that is no longer a major concern.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyWed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 pm

We are a small group of islands made up of four separate countries. Apart from England, each county has a devolved parliament and national party. Not content with having their own parliament, the nationalists parties are actively involved in seeking independence from the UK.  Alliances that have lasted centuries are seen as out-dated and of lesser importance than being a member of the EU. I'm all for independence, and if that's what the people of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales want, then they have my support. These smaller countries want England to remain in the EU because they benefit from EU funding that comes directly from the English taxpayer. The EU is not a money-making organization; it simply redistributes the money we send to Brussels. The three countries seeking independence also want the English taxpayer to fund their independence by the Bank of England underwriting the pound in their newly-formed independent countries. They have a cheek!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyThu Aug 01, 2019 8:34 am

Climate change is happening –it’s happening now, as referenced in the lyrics of a song I wrote. Extreme weather is evidence that cannot be denied, although there are still people who refuse to face reality and admit that they may have been wrong.  Floods, as being experienced in the UK today and fires happening in Siberia affects plants and animals.  With the melting of the Artic, Methane is being released causing Artic fires.  People are beginning to plant trees realizing their importance.  It takes years for trees to grow and it may be too little, too late, however it is a sign that people are waking up.   Scientists have not been taken seriously.  Their predictions of a short window remaining to affect change are still largely ignored by the people in power that could implement policies to reverse the harmful effects of pollution. 
Germany has declared that UK citizens, working and/or living in Germany will not lose their residence status with a “no deal” Brexit.   Humanitarian concerns override political considerations.  “With every adversity there is a benefit”.  Wars have brought people together and I believe that the threat to our planet may help to unite people for the common good.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyFri Aug 02, 2019 3:21 pm

CO2 emissions could be reduced enormously if we stopped trading food around the globe, reduced air travel, and took holidays at home instead of abroad. It's crazy that the UK, with its rainy climate, is importing bottled water from France! You don't have to be daft to live here, but it does help!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events EmptyFri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 pm

I think that we are of the same opinion.  Air travel is a big contributor to pollution.  The worst is air travel within one’s own country when there are alternate means of travel.  That happens to be a current subject in Germany getting much attention.  Buying locally is another subject being discussed.  Knowing the source of food is not only a safety concern, but also benefits the local economy.  The consumer has power.  Boycotting is not just effective with consumer goods, but also carries weight with the lifestyle.  Where I live, many vacationers have decided to stay in their home area instead of travelling abroad.  It happens to be the time of year when there are many “Fests”, especially Winefests, providing a variety of activities and culinary delights.  There are multiple benefits for this activity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: History and current events   History and current events Empty

Back to top Go down

History and current events
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: