Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Sandy and Saundra Crane

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Sandy and Saundra Crane Empty
PostSubject: Sandy and Saundra Crane   Sandy and Saundra Crane EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:43 pm

For the past three years, a Sandhill Crane couple have been coming twice a day to the bird feeders. One eats while the other one watches. They enjoy themselves, are not too frighted by the dogs barking, and stay a good long while. Last year, after they both had visited for so long, all of a day, only one came for over a month.

Then, one day, they both came walking up and with them was a yellow little bird not even the size of a chicken.

It was their hatchling. So proud they were. I felt so proud that they were comfortable enough to bring out the baby. They, all three, had walked a half of a mile to get here.

I had written a story about the sandhill cranes because, up the way, someone had put a sign that said "SandHill Sanctuary"

Cranes mate for life. I was watching them walk out the gate this night and considered how perfect their life is. They have no other world than their two selves and any hatchling they have goes off in a little while to find his/her mate. Then, there they are, still the two of them. How wonderful life is!

Here is the story I wrote about Sandy and Sandra.

(Pogo is Wooffer's Brother)

SANDY AND SANDRA CRANE

Behind Pogo’s new house, behind the fence and a little way beyond, was a big vacant field that turned into a smooth, beautiful, shallow lake after a big rain. There were no trees, but there were a lot of tall weeds and plenty of water to wade in. There were also places of higher, drier, ground to make a nice, dry nest. It was the perfect place. Sandy and Sandra Crane had looked for just such a place, high and low, and over many, many miles, so that they might make a nest and raise a family.

When Sandy saw it, he said to Sandra, “Look down there! That looks perfect, don’t you think?!”

Sandra thought that if Sandy thought so, it must be the best place in the world. She loved him very much. “I do believe you are right!” she said. “Lets go down and have a look around!”

They circled twice, and landed ever so gently, right in the middle of the field. They walked around the whole field. It looked like a good place to raise the family. The water was good, and the food seemed to be everywhere, and there was enough space to see anyone coming. There were a lot of other birds around, which was always a good sign. They would stay the night and see what the other birds had to say in the morning. Meanwhile, there was dinner to eat and some sleep to be slept. First, to find some dinner.

Sandra Crane overheard the Jays telling about the Birds Restaurant. Her heart began to long to see this special place. She had never seen a bird restaurant in her life. Always, she and Sandy had scavenged for dinner, as all their Sandhill Crane relatives had before them. It sounded too good to be true. But, when the Robins and the Cardinals began describing what wonderful foods were on the menu, she knew that she and Sandy had to go that very night.

“We all get dressed up,” said Varla Cardinal, “and wash our beaks and feet and preen every feather.”

“Oh, yes!” interrupted one of the Robins, “ It is different every night! Sometimes, a Parakeet sings to us while we dine, and sometimes the Cat does special tricks! But our favorite, is when the little dog comes out and plays “chase” with us. It is all very, very, exciting!”

Sandy said, “DOG!… CHASE?” This sounded very familiar. He and Sandra looked at each other… could it be?—they knew a little dog that loved the game of Chase… but he was far away in the country.

That evening, Sandy and Sandra preened every feather and washed their beaks and feet. They looked very nice, indeed. They met with the Jays and the Robins and Cardinals just outside the fence. The Cardinals were as red as red could be, and the Jays were as blue and grey as Jays of the best quality could have been. But the Robins were the best dressed there. How magnificent they were in their red chest feathers and the subdued hues of their wings! Every beak and foot gleamed in the evening sun! Every bird flew at once to the top of the fence. What a sight it was!

Some Yellow Warblers were already at the restaurant, but they were just finishing the final course. “Great meal! Good night! Eat until your heart’s delight!” they sang as they flew off.

All the birds remained on the fence, until one old grey squirrel came and announced, “The Robin Party Will Now Be Served!”

The Robins silently flew to their table and were served dishes of white grubs and a special desert of dried cherries. They all agreed that it was a delicious dinner, and each of their red breasts were expanded to a very round state before they gave the old squirrel the rest of the cherries and flew off to rest for the night. Some had to walk all the way home, they were that full of cherries.

The Jays were called next. Holly berries, sunflower seeds, millet, grass seeds… what a smorgasbord! Such a chatter at dinner! Everyone had some news to tell and they were not satisfied until they told it! Of course, the ladies were all comparing each other’s feathers and talking about their children and grandchildren… such a good time they had! No bird can say as much as a Jay can in such a short time!

It was getting late, and when the Cardinals were called to dinner, they insisted that the Cranes join them. They were dinning on nuts and sunflower seeds, dried grapes and corn, when a little black dog came running out, barking at the top of his voice! Sandra was taken aback! “Could it be who I think it is?” she said, with her mouth full of corn.

Sandy said, “It certainly looks like him! But I don’t think it is really him!”

When Pogo came running out of the house, the Cardinals all flew back to the fence. Sandy and Sandra stood still, and said, “Wooffer? Is that really you?”

Pogo stopped in his tracks! “Do you know my brother, Wooffer?” he asked in disbelief.

Sandy laughed. “You look so much like him, we thought you were Wooffer. He has told us all about you. You are the one who digs big, long tunnels! We are the Cranes, and it is very, very nice to meet Wooffer’s brother.” With that, Sandy stuck out his big long leg and grabbed Pogo by the paw and shook it up and down. Pogo began to smile, and shake the long skinny leg of Sandy the Crane.

It was not the last conversation that Pogo had with the Cranes. Every day they met in the yard and talked of this and that and where the best place to raise a Crane family might be. They became very good friends and Pogo became good friends with all the birds that came to the Bird Restaurant. They learned to speak each others language and talked many long hours of things that were important to all the birds… and things that were important to Pogo. Pogo learned that birds know many things of far and wide and high and low, and the birds learned that not all dogs and cats are enemies and may be a big help in times of trouble. They knew Wooffer was one of a kind, but they found out that Pogo was one of a kind, too. No better friends could they have than Wooffer and Pogo.

Sandy and Sand was a safer place. But every year they go visit Pogo and eat at the Birds Restaurant. It is quite a nice place to eat.
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Sandy and Saundra Crane   Sandy and Saundra Crane EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Another really cute story, Betty. Thank you for posting it here for everyone to read and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Sandy and Saundra Crane   Sandy and Saundra Crane EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Dear Zada,
You are always so kind to me. This night, I felt so tired. I watched the cranes at the feeders and thought it would be ok to post one more story. Sometimes, the stories are all I have to give.

You know that all of these authors on this message board are so wonderful in talent. I have been reading the anthology and everyone has a wonderful story to tell. My story pales in comparison. What imagination people have!

Stories are my safe ground. I can see life as I wish it really was and tell it like it would be if I could make it happen for each and every creature. They do have troubles, like we all do, but their hearts take care of each other. That is the way I think it should be, human or animal. Wooffer's world is as close to perfect as it will ever get.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Sandy and Saundra Crane   Sandy and Saundra Crane EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Betty, you give much in your stories. I envision you sitting in a little universe that you and Wooffer kind of preside over and help when there is trouble. I agree with you about the perfection. It would be a wonderful kingdom to live in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sandy and Saundra Crane   Sandy and Saundra Crane EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 5:51 am

As always, a fine story. Very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Sandy and Saundra Crane   Sandy and Saundra Crane EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 am

Dear Betty,

I love your stories, and I, too, wish the world was more like the animal world that you write about.

Love,

Helen
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sandy and Saundra Crane   Sandy and Saundra Crane Empty

Back to top Go down

Sandy and Saundra Crane
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-