Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Comparing the US to Germany

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Comparing the US to Germany Empty
PostSubject: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 7:08 am

Enlightenment is the beginning.  I think Bernie Sanders of Vermont had addressed much of what is in the following. 
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/why-germany-has-it-so-much-better-than-the-us/#.VI_-hhFYCIh.facebook

Change is needed.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I have not read the article.  The U.S. can learn from other countries, but Germany is very small with a very different history and different cultural beliefs and traits in its citizens.  The U.S. is quite unique in the world.  It has to struggle with its own demons for that reason.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 4:22 am

What DK said.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 5:18 am

I didn’t write the article.  I thought it interesting enough to pass along.  When I made this post I thought it may create controversy and deleted it.  At least I thought I had deleted it, but it appeared anyway.

I agree DK that there are differences in countries and what may work well in one, may not work so well in another without some modification.  Just as there are no countries exactly alike, the same can be said for people.  We have tried to push our brand of democracy on other countries and found that it didn’t work.  With adjustments and with time, it could work. 

When I read the article, there were several things that got my attention: Working hours, vacation time, healthcare and retirement.  Many have come to realize that it is not the quantity, but the quality of what we do that makes a difference.  Working long hours does not guarantee more production.  Having a vacation from work is also needed.  Then there are the security elements of healthcare and retirement.  Time for recreation and enough money to spend (a living wage) makes for a healthy work force as well as a healthy economy. 
There is no perfect person and no perfect country, however some have it more together than others.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 11:08 am

I would rather take the elements that work in a country and say, "these have merit."  I agree that that a balance life is certainly one that provides better quality of living and contributes to good health and around the circle.

Unfortunately, the political forces that are running this country are totally motivated by monitary gain and have little concern for the quality life except for their own extravagance at the expense of others.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 11:09 am

And I see it getting worse.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Agree DK and that's what makes it so sad.  Greed continues to dominate.  There is enough money available to provide a better life for all.  For many, they will work all hours and give up vacations for money thinking that one day they can set back and enjoy it.  Unfortunately, by the time they are in that position, they are too sick to do the things they would have enjoyed doing at an earlier age. 
Sometimes I'm reminded of the quip: "Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die." 
The future is now.  To enjoy the now and be care-free is the problem.  There are always worries that prevent one from enjoying the now and yet even with the restrictions one can find enjoyment in the little things.  Nature can provide much enjoyment.  There is much to be thankful for if one can only shut out "things".  We are programmed to think that possessions bring happiness.  Only when you had possesions and lost them do you realize how shallow that is. JMO.
Denmark is a good example of a country where people are happy.  The reasons were stated previously.  It comes down to "What makes you happy?"
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Wasn't that the study that ranked the US several countries higher than Germany, Abe?

http://www.publishedauthors.org/t10818-happiest-country-in-the-world#122818

alj wrote:
took the time to download the PDF from the page Abe linked. It is a report on the actual study and included a list of 156 countries, ranked by the studies findings as 0f 2010-2012.

Here are a few beyond those top 10:

11 - Israel
14 - UAE
16 - Mexico
17 - USA
22 - UK
25 - France
26 - Germany
68 - Russia
98 - Lebanon
148 - Syria
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Abe F. March wrote:

We have tried to push our brand of democracy on other countries and found that it didn’t work.  With adjustments and with time, it could work. 

Can anyone think of one country where we have tried to force democracy where it worked?

People have to want it for it to work.

Hell, it barely works here!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany EmptyThu Dec 18, 2014 6:39 pm

If we think about it, even the framers' vision was an ideal, not attainable for everyone but for the few. That concept of "the few" has come full circle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the US to Germany   Comparing the US to Germany Empty

Back to top Go down

Comparing the US to Germany
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: