Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Word use in English

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Word use in English Empty
PostSubject: Word use in English   Word use in English EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 am

As an English Teacher, I thought that Ann might find this useful.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1463862033886635&fref=nf
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Word use in English   Word use in English EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 9:18 am

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my linguistics professor, back in '78, when I returned to college after my divorce. The professor had been cautioning us about the use of slang words, saying that they were lazy ways of getting around a slack vocabulary.

Being one of those students who enjoyed challenging my teachers, I suggested that there was one word that I could think of that did not seem to have a satisfactory substitute (and no, it was not the "f" word.  I didn't go there then, and while one or two of my fitional characters have used it, I do not. Nor do I particularly like hearing it).  The professor  got a twinkle in his eye - I had taken several classes from this professor already, some going back to the early 1960's - as he asked me to explain.  I said, as discreetly as I could, that the technical term for a female dog had taken on many meanings.  He took it from there, using the actual word, to show that is was not a slang expression at all, giving examples of it being used as a noun, as a verb, as a gerund, a participle, and so on.  The class loved it and we all roared with laughter.

This makes two FB posts that you have referenced to me this morning, Abe.  The first was completely invalid.  Was this one a challenge?  

I could point out that it is a very old Anglo-Saxon word, and one that was adopted into the French-influenced Middle English vocabulary and was used by Geoffrey Chaucer in his Canterbury Tales.

Or I could point out to you that you are choosing to overstep a boundary that I have made very clear during this past week or so, since you, in your post, directed it to me personally.

You have had better ideas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Word use in English   Word use in English EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 10:11 am

Abe,

Have mercy on us all, Please.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Word use in English   Word use in English EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 10:41 am

Ann, I'm fixing it so that there can be no mistaken identity on FB.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Word use in English   Word use in English EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 10:42 am

Well that helps the age test. What about this one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Word use in English   Word use in English EmptyFri Sep 19, 2014 10:46 am

No more references or responses.  How's that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Word use in English   Word use in English Empty

Back to top Go down

Word use in English
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: