Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Prisoner Exchange

Go down 
+4
joefrank
Don Stephens
dkchristi
Abe F. March
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The Prisoner Exchange Empty
PostSubject: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 12:42 am

News continues around the prisoner exchange.  Personally, I think they did the right thing.
No one left behind is important to military personnel.  Whether or not he deserted is not for me to judge.  If that is true, being a prisoner for five years is punishment enough.  As for the prisoners held at Guantanamo without trial, they should either be tried or released.  It is claimed that these prisoners are responsible for the loss of lives.  I say, prove it or release them.  Bush and Cheney are responsible for the loss of thousands of lives and they are still free.  What happened to "Innocent until proven guilty?"
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 7:29 am

I see from the news that your opinion is not the "popular" one.  The venom expressed I think is a reflection of the frustration of people for life in these U.S. in general dating back to the start of that illegal and unwarranted Iraq war.

I believe in bringing home our veterans.  I didn't sign my life on that dotted line.  He did.  Let him be returned to the U.S. and if the U.S. Army has a problem with his behavior before incarceration, let them deal with it.  The knowledge I have is very limited, not sufficient for a strong opinion.

Responses seem to fall along political lines again.  Anything President Obama touches turns into a major.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 am

Abe,

I call you my friend and I don’t argue with my friends. (Only my family)

However, I will have to agree to disagree with you.  

When I served I would NEVER have asked to be exchanged for the ENEMY to gain my freedom from capture.  I would hope for rescue and do everything in my power to escape, but NEVER exchange.

If we as a nation are willing to exchange five high ranking enemy prisoners for a single soldier, what will we be willing to exchange for an Ambassador???  Right now that’s what every Ambassador serving is wondering, because they now have an even bigger target on their backs.

As for the rights of the prisoners at Gitmo…they have NONE except those afforded by the Geneva Convention any more than that soldier had while being held by the Taliban.  Whether we like the war or not, we are at war and the people held at Gitmo are considered enemy combatants. It has aways seemed strange to me that these fanatics hate everything we (the U.S.) stand for but as soon as they get caught they want OUR rights applied to them.

Again, JMHO.

p.s  DK my opinon had nothing to do with Obama.  It has to do with the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which I and that young soldier took an oath to follow.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Note that I said I didn't have enough info to form a solid opinion.  I understand the differing points of view.  While your perspective is based on your experience, not everyone's is.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 pm

6/3/2014

Don..

............... The Prisoner Exchange 950944 

.................CHeers..........Joe..... The Prisoner Exchange 748523
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:15 pm

I go with Don on this one. I remember our boys they hung from a bridge...and the others three. They cut their throats, put it on video, and posted them on the web. We are not just dealing with people we are at war with…these are people who will murder any non-Muslim…men women, and children. They have one rule…kill all non-Muslims. The three we released for one soldier, were top leaders. We can now expect they will take more Americans for exchange.

I would not have done it. I would have hung one of theirs, and told them…”Release the soldier, or we will hang ten more.”

Is it only the Jews who understand these people?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:52 pm

6/4/2014
                    I think it was a fatal mistake and the dam idiots in Washington
                    including the higher ups are putting this country in a very dangerous
                    siituation ! You watch there will be other kidnappings , or even worse,
                    this country never, ever gave in to terrorists, now we have the smucks
                    in charge of this country who's turning it upside down, even just as bad
                    their allowing Illegal South Americans who come across the border to stay
                    this year it's predicted 60,000 and their being dumped all over the country,
                    yet the Mexicans are being deported, why you ask because these young
                    South Americans are yelling " Amnesty," Sorry their own countries should
                    stop their own violence to help these people, what are we now the dumping
                    grounds for the world, now Arizona doesn't have the money to take care of
                    of this problem, who the hell gave Washington or the President the rights to
                    say do as I say, I'm the boss, it's time to clean house this Nov. and I hope
                    they all loose their jobs.....

Cheers..Joe..... The Prisoner Exchange 925501
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
I go with Don on this one. I remember our boys they hung from a bridge...and the others three. They cut their throats, put it on video, and posted them on the web. We are not just dealing with people we are at war with…these are people who will murder any non-Muslim…men women, and children. They have one rule…kill all non-Muslims. The three we released for one soldier, were top leaders. We can now expect they will take more Americans for exchange.

I would not have done it. I would have hung one of theirs, and told them…”Release the soldier, or we will hang ten more.”

Is it only the Jews who understand these people?

Dom,
Thanks, but I didn’t ask anyone to agree with me…I was simply stating my opinion.  However, I would like to straighten a few things out.  First the BOYS hung from the bridge were MERCENARIES not our soldiers.  Second, the three that were shown having their throats cut were also MERCENARIES.  I have neither allegiance nor sympathies for anyone that goes into a war for profit!  No matter how they try to justify their cause, they’re in it for the money.(Been there – Done that!)  Third, ALL Muslims do not believe as the Taliban does, the war isn’t against a nation or religion, it is against the fanatics – this isn’t the Crusades.  Fourth, there were five Taliban leaders exchanged not three.  Finally, I never mentioned the Jews anywhere in my statement.

As I have said many times, “Everyone is entitled to their opinion.”  However state it as your opinion – don’t link it to mine!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:58 pm

Perspectives change when it becomes personal.  How would you as a parent feel if it was your child?  I think you would give your life to have your boy back - at least I would. 
Principles change based on the situation.  It's much like hunger.  Would you steal to feed your child or let him starve?  Deciding whether or not the soldier did something wrong to be taken captive is condemning a person without a trial. 
Don and I disagree on this one.  He most likely won't change his view/opinion nor will I.  Even if the soldier is foung guilty of desertion, getting him back sends a strong message to all soldiers and those considering a career in the military.  The message that was sent with the prisoner exchange can be viewed from both sides.  Allowing someone to rot in prison doesn't change the mind of the jailor.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 1:48 pm

There is precedent in the world of civilian diplomacy for such swaps. In 1962 we exchanged a convicted soviet spy, a KGB Colonel, for Gary Francis Powers and an American student, both civilians.

But Don's point is well-made. He said that he himself would not ask to be exchanged, and that is a position to be respected and admired.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Today's military is an all-volunteer military.  Does that make a difference?  I don't know.  I know that as a parent, I would do all I could to see that my son was back on U.S. soil.  From that point, since he voluntarily signed into the military he is subject to military procedures.

Also, as hard as it is to believe, no wars have been declared since World War II.  Procedures vary with declared wars.

That's about all I know that I have added to my thinking processes.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 2:48 pm

I understand most Americans don’t like to call this a war…but the Muslims do. They have said, “We will destroy you.” They are at war. Will all Muslims join in if they have to…”Yes they will.” If one of the Muslim countries gets the bomb, will they use it? Damn right they will. Is it a religious war? They think so. Have any of you read the Quran? I have.

Here is what is says regarding no-Muslims…”Subdue, or KILL them.”

The groups who are doing the killing…they are being trained in Muslim countries. They are being armed by somebody? They think if they kill you, and me they go to Heaven, and get all the things they don’t have in this life. That’s why they are not afraid to die. And yes, the perverts think they will also get ten virgins.

People better start waking up…we are sitting on a time bomb. It is not a question of, “Will it go off?” it is a question of, “When?” I’m like the Russians; “If you know the other guy is going to strike… don’t wait for it…get him first, or pay the price of being stupid.

Over the last five years I have had many Muslim friends. ( I don’t anymore.) These are Muslims who have become American citizens. You should hear how they talk about America, and its people…”They want us destroyed.” Yes, they are Muslim American citizens. It is not just another religion…do not be fooled. These people are out to see us dead. I read a note book of a 18 year old, sweet Muslim girl. This is what she had written in that note book; “Be ready to die.”
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 10:46 pm

I've read Don's books and I think I understand where he's coming from.  Even in voluntary circumstances, one can be given the shaft as with "Tarnished Halo".  Revenge remains a powerful element in what people do. 
When it comes to Muslims, just because one reads their Bible doesn't make them an expert.  I also read it - an English translation.  Those who can speak English and Arabic will tell you that unless you can read it and understand it in the language it was written, you cannot fully understand it.  My knowledge is limited to what I have gleaned and that may be faulty. 

People talk tough and much of that is just "talk".  Saying you will do something if or when such and such occurs doesn't mean you will do it when faced with the situation.  Cowards are often the ones doing the tough talk.  Those who are tough don't talk about it, but will act when the situation calls for it.  Many who are weak succumb to tough talk and are fearful.  Refuse to be intimidated.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 7:02 am

I will not judge a person for behavior during times of crisis.  I will say that I approve or disapprove of their behavior from my limited perspective of their circumstances, but I do not know their tolerance levels or their mind.  I still hold that U.S. citizens held in foreign prisons or held captive in other means face situations that I cannot in any way comprehend.  The U.S. is a country that attempts humane laws.  I believe if it is possible to bring citizens home, that's the right thing to do.  Then, if they have legal issues, those can be tried in this country using our systems, flawed though they are.

Anyone who doesn't grasp that this is a political football hasn't been in this country since President Obama was elected.  Opinions may still be against the exchange without being political, but politics with a capital "P" brings out the venom and meanness across the political spectrum.

Young people, soldier or not, make judgments that are not wise.  Hopefully they have the opportunity to face logical consequences and still recover their lives as adults.  Every parent has that hope for their children. 

The U.S. is a country of second chances, a county of hope.  I find the switch to a mean-spirited nation unsettling and have found it so for all the years of the hate Obama atmosphere.  I think there is some hope abroad that less damning politicians are seeking office.  I wish them well.

Did anyone note, by the way, the ages of those who had the special briefing?  The country is being run by rich old men.  Wake up nation.  Is this who we are?  Most of them haven't had a real job, ever.  They have so much money they are untouched by the financial desperation faced by many of those who "volunteer" for today's "all volunteer" military, the only job available with a future attached - and for that future, they sign away their right to choose living or dying.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 7:27 am

6/5/2014

I just read this morning rumors from Washington that Pres. Obama
                     is planning on emptying out Gitmo and letting these people go free. Many
                     in Congress have warned him as of late last night that he doesn't have the
                     power to do this and if he continues and does it, then charges of Impeachment
                     will be brought up....Stay tuned..This issue is hot and heavy..

Cheers..Joe... The Prisoner Exchange 925501
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 7:33 am

Once the troops leave Afganistan at the end of this year, there will be no reason to hold the detainees, at Gitmo or anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 7:56 am

Good thought, Ann.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 8:12 am

alj wrote:
Once the troops leave Afganistan at the end of this year, there will be no reason to hold the detainees, at Gitmo or anywhere else.

We were not in Afganistan in 9/11. What makes you think the Muslims will stop their war on America? American is supporting Israel. That's what it is all about.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 am

alj wrote:

The rationale, valid or not, is that those being held pose a threat to our national security, irrespective of our military involvement anywhere. They are supposedly known leaders of anti-American muslim extremist factions. We weren't at war when they attacked us on 9-11.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 9:57 am

And the Taliban isn't a government, so what are the rules?  The whole "war on terror" thing raises a lot of questions that don't have easy answers, but technically, we are no longer "at war" with Iraq, and will soon be leaving Afganistan, so what is our obligation?
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 10:05 am

alj wrote:
And the Taliban isn't a government, so what are the rules?  The whole "war on terror" thing raises a lot of questions that don't have easy answers, but technically, we are no longer "at war" with Iraq, and will soon be leaving Afganistan, so what is our obligation?

There are Governments that, house, protect, and arm the Taliban. We are at war. If you are one of those who believe, Islam is just another religion, you know nothing about Islam. If they get the bomb, they will use it. You can take that to the bank.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 10:06 am

John McCain was released via a prisoner exchange.  Was that a mistake?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 11:38 am

Abe F. March wrote:
John McCain was released via a prisoner exchange.  Was that a mistake?
I'm sure the CIA wanted this guy back just to see what he may have told, or given the enemy. What was his job in the Army?
In the pictures of the exchange, he is clean shaven. A few day later with the President, he has a long, full beard? What is going on here?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 12:53 pm

6/5/2014

Out of Afghanistan tomorrow ! No need to give Kharazi millions
                       we all know where that money goes and it's not to help the 
                       people anyone who believes that is either ignorant or blind.
                       Time to protect our own country, the hell with the middle East.

Cheers..Joe.... The Prisoner Exchange 748523
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Joe, you say, "the hell with the Middle East".  Hell is what it will be like unless we work to solve the problem.  We cannot isolate ourselves from the world.  We are affected by what happens in other parts of the world.  There is currently a crisis in the Ukraine and that cannot be ignored.  Working to diffuse a crisis is more important than sending troops for destruction and death.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner Exchange   The Prisoner Exchange Empty

Back to top Go down

The Prisoner Exchange
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: