Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Push Books and Pull Books

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Push Books and Pull Books Empty
PostSubject: Push Books and Pull Books   Push Books and Pull Books EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 10:56 am

I am always searching for ways to cut through the clutter to increase and maintain book sales. I ventured into writing a few series The Pastor's Wife 1, 2, 3- The Pastor's Lover - 1,2,3 - Side Piece 1, 2. I also still write single volumes without a follow on. After writing 6 books in two different series, I put the characters together from the 2 series for a 7th book that served as the 4th for both series. In the description I informed readers that in order to know more about the characters to read the other 6 books. I published another book titled The Unreal Housewives of South Dallas that included characters from 10 previous books and informed readers that in order to know more about the characters to read the other 10 books that I listed by title at the bottom of description. I consider the books with the character combinations to be pull books that are prompting readers to read the previous books to understand theri backgrounds. The initial series books I consider to be push books that cause readers to want the next release in the series.

The Unreal Housewives of South Dallas had over 2,416 downloads during my free promo period and is tied as my best selling book so far this month along with my other book with characters from different series. I know everyone that downloads free books don't read every one of them, but that 2, 416 is asking readers to read 10 other books to catch up. BTW that was the same time I got the 1 star review attack after the promo ended, but it makes no sense given the high review ratings of the other books in the series it feeds off.

I'm trying to created a bit of a self sustaining environment that is a little insulated from the battle each book has to fight for sales on its every time. I just wanted to share this little idea, but it's kind of the sequel/prequel, but with a wider net.

http://www.amazon.com/D-T-Pollard/e/B002BLVC7Q/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1397325284&sr=1-2-ent
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Push Books and Pull Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push Books and Pull Books   Push Books and Pull Books EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks, DT.  I wonder sometimes.  You have always been good to share what works for you.  I am trying a bit of the prequel by publishing a book, The Bamboo Ring, that comes before Ghost Orchid, a book, the Caribbean Odyssey that follows The Bamboo Ring (the second in the series) and then the third is Ghost Orchid, already published since 2009 but soon to be in reprint since my publisher closes.  It's a bit like your schema as the characters in Ghost Orchid are better explained in The Bamboo Ring.  However, I have many fewer books!  You must be writing all the time!  My newspaper articles, interviews, etc. cut into my personal writing time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com

Push Books and Pull Books
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: