Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Nelson Mandela

Go down 
+3
Betty Fasig
Abe F. March
alj
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 7:24 am

Last night I watched a special on this incredibly heroic man. I had not been aware of the details of his early life. Every step of the "hero's journey" that I wrote about in AMIA, form his birth, childhood, and early adulthood through his stand against Apartheid that led to the 27 years in prison to his "return" and his presidency and life after.

What struck me as I watched was that the difference between this man and so many of the world's icons was that he lived to reach 95 years and died peacefully in bed with his family around.

Ghandi, Lincoln, Martin Luther King were all assassinated. Early violent death is a common factor in the hero's story. This man will be missed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 11:31 am

Yes, Mandela will be missed.  His life and deeds are good examples to follow.  He spoke out against injustice and that included his criticism about the injustice in Palestine.  Perhaps he inspired Jimmy Carter to write his book: "Peace not Apartheid". 
It is too bad that a person's worth is recognized only after they pass.  I belive that Jimmy Carter is another person that will be well remembered after he is gone.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 1:12 pm

What I have admired about Mandela the most was his ability to see the whole picture, and understand that partial views could be misleading.  He did not see Ronald Reagan or the CIA as being "America."  He was able to come out of those 27 years in prison, set his rightful anger aside, and say that the important thing was peace, which had to include both black and white South Africans.  He could visit this country and proclaim himself a Yankee fan and promote South Africa's all white World Cup rugby team (well, hey, rugby's the bomb, right?), knowing that there were many in both places who still considered him a communist and a terrorist.  He could verbally attack this country for its history of inhumane acts, including the use of atomic bombs against Japan, as he railed the Bush Administration for insisting on the invasion of Iraq, without condemning the individual people living in the US    or anywhere else.

There was a time when he refused to renounce violence as a solution rather than to submit or die. That was a courageous and realistic assessment of the circumstances of the time and place.

He saw a both/and view of the world, and he did that in spite of his personal experiences.  The perspectives of either/or and everyone or no one, all or nothing, were simply not a part of his vision.  We need more like him.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Annie, I think you have spoken correctly.  I, personally, find no redemption in either Bush's presidential  terms... not the brother, Jeb's governorship.  The only one worse than Bush in Florida is Scott.  It is time for change.

Mr. Mandela is a hero in every aspect of the word.  He could see past his own importance to the life of African people.  It is too bad that people of Africa have not written the epic of his story.  Maybe someone has.  I would love to read it.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Me, too. Maybe now someone will.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 4:09 pm

I agree that his story deserves to be written and produced in total, not just the pieces done so far.  I think it would take a mini-series to do it justice.  The world has much to learn from him.

Me, I take away the simple truths.  I heard a reporter say today that he was asked about hating his jailers, if he didn't hate them just a bit after being released.  He responded with honesty that a bit of hate might have been there but it was soon replaced with the reality that if he hated, he would continue to be their prisoner.

Such a powerful thought.  My poorly educated stepmother used to say that hate was like handing off a hot coal, you were burned first.  Then I read a more complicated version by Buddha.  Yes, the great thinkers see the world through wisdom.  How fortunate for Africa that Mandela was not only a philosopher, but their leader.

I never knew he was a lawyer - guess there are a few good ones.  I had a South African gold coin that was in a bezel to wear.  During the protests in the U.S. against Apartheid I put it in a safety deposit box.  It was not fashionable then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Mandela's heroism, quiet strength and incredible courage are qualities that we can all agree on, however difficult it may be for us to agree on the value (or lack thereof) of other world leaders. He is someone fully deserving of praise, emulation and remembrance. God bless him for he was truly one of His best creations.

It takes a man like Nelson Mandela to change our perspective. No one has had a greater reason to be bitter, angry, or to embrace violence in the name of justice/revenge. No one was less likely to do any of these things than he. Some speak of change and some effect it. Some pontificate on the value of their ideas and some add enormous value through the power of their ideas. Some speak endlessly and say nothing while some waste no time in idle chatter and go about changing the world for the better through their actions, their example, and their principles throughout their lives.

Outgoing NYC Mayor Bloomberg very wisely named a school for Nelson Mandela that he had visited much earlier in his life after being released from an unconscionable imprisonment in South Africa. I wish we could name a world for him. What a transformational figure and what a reminder of the tremendous capacity of the human heart for compassion, decency, and quiet dignity. I will never be able to think of him without smiling as I have never seen him through the years in the best and worst times of his life without a smile.

No matter where we live, no matter our station in life, we have been enriched by his life and are poorer for his passing. Heaven is richer, though, and he leaves us a boundless good will that will be his legacy.

Last edited by Victor D. Lopez on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm not sure why, but your words brought tears to my eyes. I think it's the sadness not only for the passing of Mandela but for the hatred in the world with so few great people to fix it.  It's a pleasure to post in a forum with so many people who can say just the right thing at the right time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 4:24 pm

alj wrote:
...promote South Africa's all white World Cup rugby team
Win over the SA rugby fans and you have the whole of South Africa in the palm of your hands. It was that important. The clever thing was that only Mandela recognised the fact and he had to bring his team round to his way of thinking. Yes, a remarkable man.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 6:15 pm

12/7/2013

I just heard Billy Graham is slipping away, he's 95, I hope the govt. flies our
                  flag at half staff for a great man and humanitarian.

Joe...Nelson Mandela 748523
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Sponsored content

Nelson Mandela Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela   Nelson Mandela Empty

Back to top Go down

Nelson Mandela
Page 1 of 1