Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Obama's Chances

Go down 
+2
Abe F. March
Dick Stodghill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Obama's Chances I_outg19Can a black man be elected president of the United States? The politically correct answer is "yes." The honest answer is "unlikely." The cynical answer is "when pig's fly." Even pigs with lipstick.
Just talking about it is considered taboo. That doesn't change the fact that racial discrimination hovers like a dark cloud over this election.
We hear that all men are created equal, Americans are tolerant and colorblind and other noble talk like that. Unfortunately a "but" comes after many such statements. In Bible Belt and Redneck country (they frequently overlap), tolerance is a word frequently heard but seldom practiced.
No matter what they may express in words, deep down most W.A.S.P.s (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants) and NASCAR Dads (a pseudonym for Rednecks) vote for someone who looks like them, talks like them, thinks like them, likes the things they like, attends the churches they attend and fits the "he's just like us" image. They tend to call any well-educated person an elitist. They are prone to believing untrue rumors spread by email or talk radio. They have only a rudimentary idea of the issues and aren't really concerned about them.
It wasn't all that long ago that I had to get up and move forward in the bus so that a black woman and her two young children could climb aboard. In places where that and other acts of segregation were an accepted way of life, attitudes approving it as fair and just still prevail although many won't admit it publicly and others don't agree with it.
In flat Midwestern farm country and its countless small towns it isn't mandatory that a person be a white, Anglo-Saxon protestant to be accepted as an equal but it certainly is important. People will deny this, of course, often by beginning a statement with, "I'm not prejudiced, but . . ."
Large industrial cities are home to numerous people lacking even a basic education, people who have trouble making a sentence using proper English, yet harbor a false sense of superiority to anyone whose skin is any color other than white.
A visitor will find intelligent, open-minded men and women in any of these places. Unfortunately, they are still in the minority.
Barack Obama has a chance of winning only if young people turn out in record number. Some members of younger generations have been indoctrinated by their parents to hate. Far more make up their own minds. In thirty years, a black or a Hispanic or an oriental or a mid-easterner or even an American Indian will have a far better chance of being elected president. That doesn't mean Obama can't win, only that doing so is far more difficult for him because he is only half white. Many will deny this, but it's true.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:15 am

It's all true.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Dick,

That was an excellent analysis of the situation. History has already been made by him being selected the candidate, and I agree about the young people. If our university students turn out in large numbers, he will certainly win Wisconsin. But I have acquaintances with old prejudices not only about his being black but allusions to his Islamic influences.

My being born in Chicago, my professional social work status believing in the importance of his community organization work in that large city, his lovely wife also capable of a political career, his family, and my own mother's working at a social service area in the inner city for many years influences my vote for him.

It would be a remarkable accomplishment for our country, and I believe his intelligence and vision would make him a good president.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
awol
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-06-13

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:27 pm

I saw Ms O in Evansville; the idea of her in politics terrifies me. She looked angry and mean; her attiude seemed very self-absorbed to me.

in my opinion

--Melinda
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 3:10 pm

You may have proved my point.
I wrote that blog just in time. The next day (today) an Associated Press-Stanford University poll and in-depth study showed the same thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Well Obama did it. Good for him. I also hear, if it wasn't the mess the U.S had gotten themselves into, Obama would never have been elected. Will China ever have a non chinese leader?
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 5:05 pm

China is secretly ruled by Jews in the Vatican.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Yup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Obama's Chances Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obama's Chances   Obama's Chances Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama's Chances
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: