Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Another Great Sign

Go down 
+3
lin
madhatter
P. Gordon Kennedy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Now you can get drinking water at the sewage disposal station.......Yuck!
Another Great Sign Ss857010
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:34 pm

Oh, and if you read the fine print, you can see that it'll cost you $3.00 to get some of that water!
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 4:24 pm

Hm....I think I'll stick to bottled water, thank you.

Funny one! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 10:28 pm

All it needs is a cool bottle and French name and they could get twice as much.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 10:56 pm

True.
How does anyone know where they get the water that they bottle? I do recall a company in the Atlanta area getting fined for filling bottles with tap water and selling it.

In the space capsule, they re-process/recycle urine for drinking water. In the future, we may all be drinking water that has been purified due to necessity.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:00 pm

I think that the person who placed the sign may have had alittle too much of the water to drink!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 6:24 am

Abe F. March wrote:
True.
How does anyone know where they get the water that they bottle? I do recall a company in the Atlanta area getting fined for filling bottles with tap water and selling it.

In the space capsule, they re-process/recycle urine for drinking water. In the future, we may all be drinking water that has been purified due to necessity.

Isn't most bottled water just filtered tap water anyway? How would you know the differnce?
Fresh spring water from some exotic location = H2O
Filtered tap water = H2O
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 am

Quote :
In the future, we may all be drinking water that has been purified due to necessity.

Actually, we all drink distilled waste water now. And always have.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 10:34 am

Lin,
I'm not sure if "always have" is appropriate. There was a time when there was no purification process of any kind for drinking water. Due to pollution of the soil primarily in large metropolitan and industrial areas, drinking water became contaminated and a process for safe drinking water took hold. Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapor condensed. That would be a giantic procsss for a city like New York.
"
This department is responsible for the purification of the city’s water
system. This department has 7 wells located throughout the City of Long Beach. These wells pump water from the Lloyd Aquifer to the Water Purification Plant, where it is tested, chemically treated , and transmitted to the homes throughout the City. This department tests hourly to guarantee pureness. The Department of Health also tests the quality of the water daily"

There is also well water and spring water without any purification processes. I grew up on well water. Where I live now, I drink tap water but often drink spring water - no purification. Well water and spring water can be risky if it is near areas where chemicals and other harmful bacteria, i.e., feces of animals, can be absorbed into the water systems.

What I was attempting to say in my previous post was that there may come a time when all drinking water must be treated to be safe for drinking.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:54 pm

I have a good well that is purified the old fashioned natural way. Since I am so near the mountains, what we are actually drinking is water from spring and runoff that is filtered through the soil before it reaches the underground lake we sit on and are tapped into. Our water is very good, and tested perfect. Actually though, it is filtered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:01 pm

lin wrote:
Quote :
In the future, we may all be drinking water that has been purified due to necessity.

Actually, we all drink distilled waste water now. And always have.

Distilation is one of the best ways to purify water there is. Boiling the water removes all solid contaminates no matter how well disolved they are and the high tempreture kills all bacteria and viruses. Distilling ocean water to remove the salt is a good way to provide water to areas lacking fresh water. However, large-scale distilation requiers a lot of energy, so for it to be a viable option, an abundent, cheap, and clean energy source would be needed. The steam could be used to drive turbines and generators before being condensed back into water, thus recovering some of the energy in the form of electricity.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Water purification is something I got involved with by accident.
A mobile Desalination system for use in the Saudi desert that used high temperature evaporation.
When I lived in Beirut, we boiled our water to make it safe for drinking. The simplest and least expensive way was to put a few drops of Chlorox into the water and then boil it for a few minutes.

Using filters, as Zada mentioned, is still advisable for well water to be on the safe side.

Since our waters are being polluted from various means and contaminants, knowing how to create safe drinking water is advisable. It doesn't have to be expensive.
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 am

Excellent. Bottle it up and sell it for $4.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 3:46 pm

I think I've seen those signs before ... at rest areas.

They have areas for RVs to dump their ... uh, stuff.

There is sometimes drinkable water available too.

I've never noticed them charging for the water at rest areas before, but then I usually get my water from elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Do you remember the days when you sat down at a table in a restuarant, diner or whatever, and the first thing they did was place a glass of water in front of you. I suppose that went out when they stopped servicing your car at a "service" station.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another Great Sign Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Great Sign   Another Great Sign Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Great Sign
Page 1 of 1