Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?

Go down 
+2
Abe F. March
dtpollard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? Empty
PostSubject: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 am

Diana Nyad tried multiple time to swim from Cuba to Florida and finally made it. She could have given up, but she didn't. Nyad also seemed to have all of the support anyone could hope for, but she still had to make that swim on her own. Nyad was an Olympic class swimmer when she was young and seems to be a renaissance woman with writing, speaking and a number of other achievements under her belt. Nyad first tried Cuba to Florida when she was 28 and finally did it at age 64.That's 36 years to reach a goal. The question I pose is, how many people can maintain a focus on reaching a goal that long when logically the older we get the slimmer out chances of success should be. When we write, do we really feel that this could be the one that cuts through the clutter and if it does not, will we try again or pack it in?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10764
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 7:17 am

Good questions, dt.

I think we all go through a mental process when we have a goal.  There are books on goal-setting and what it takes to succeed.  They sound good and those principles have worked for me at times. 
I think there comes a time when we become more realistic about our goals. Are they a fantasy or are they real?  Are they achievable? 
As for writing, all on this forum have written books.  How much success we achieved is relative to the person.  Some had a goal to get a book published and achieved that goal.  Some wrote a book to earn money and have failed to receive a reasonable income.  Hitting the jackpot with a best-seller that is published and distributed by a traditional publisher is still a dream for many.  Is that dream realistic?  Will they keep trying?  Beating ones head against the wall repeatedly may be a sign that it’s time to stop and accept the reality that it won’t happen.  You can play the lottery every week and never win.  But, we know that you can’t win if you don’t play. 
Personally, I have not recovered the cost of promotion.  That doesn’t count the time spent writing.  If money is the goal, then knowing when to pull the plug is prudent.  If writing for the sake of writing is the goal, there is no end.  And just like buying that Lotto ticket, one can not hit the big time unless one continues to write.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 am

9/4/2013

I say try, try, try again, if you don't succeed try again, never
                         give up your dream !

Cheers...Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 am

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No sense being a damn fool about it." -W.C. Fields

She's been a swimmer all her life, it clearly rules her life, and since she didn't get an Olympic medal, I expect she saw that swim as the next best thing. It doesn't parallel anything in my life. If I can't achieve a goal in a reasonable amount of time, I try something else. I don't want to wait until I'm 64 to reach what I define as success. Not that I want to keep defining down success, either.

I dunno -her achievement is a big "who cares" to me.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 10:02 am

As DT pointed out, Nyad has been successful in other areas of her life.  This swim has not been such an overriding goal that she focused her whole being on just that one thing.  She hasn't defined her life based on the achievement or failure of a single goal.

If one bases a life on making the NYT list, one misses, I would think, the little joys of just being, from time to time.  This woman might have accomplished this particular goal much earlier if it were the only purpose for her life.  Recognizing that our dreams can shift in different directions, and self-satisfaction can come about through various means is, I think, an important attitude in any "successful" life.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10764
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 am

We hear much about the successes of a very few who achieved something great.  They go on the road and make speeches about determination, never giving up, etc.  When has anyone gone on the road to talk about the many failures they had?  Finally making it is a thrill. 
We have references to some, like Edison, who had thousands of failures before he had success.  Those are rare and can be good examples for those who have the dream.
IMV if a person has a burning desire to achieve a goal and does whatever it takes, they will eventually succeed.  Was it worth the price they had to pay?  In the case of sports, Long hours of training, being away from family, etc.  In the case of inventors, hundreds of hours spent in a laboratory, often alone.
It gets down to the price one is willing to pay and when success is achieved, was it worth it?

At one time I would have done anything, and often did, to achieve my goals.  My family suffered in the process.  At my age, I am no longer willing to do those same things.  I want to enjoy life and share time as well as money with my family.  That's just me.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 2:32 pm

I had a crazy college professor for an educational leadership graduate class.  The first day of class he passed out a mountain of xerox papers all about people and dreams and goals from all nations and a more diverse set of people would be a challenge.  He then said to first "skim" what appeared a whole semester's reading to get the feel of people who set and accomplish their goals including the before, during and after and then to select three articles to share in depth with the next class meeting (Assignment 1).

Also, we were to set three goals for ourselves for the semester in three areas:  health, education and relationships. (Assignment 2).  We were to record those goals in three calendar books and begin recording what we did each day to accomplish those goals. (Assignment 3) They had to be realistic, challenging and accomplished by semester's end.

Second meeting we shared our articles, brought our notebooks and shared our goals.  We spent the rest of the class getting to know each other based on the goals and articles.  Then he said, "Share phone numbers.  Set aside three hours each week to meet in small groups wherever you like to talk about your progress.  Notify me of when and where you are meeting and I'll drop in.  Call me and invite me to special meetings.  Combine groups.  We will have no other official meeting until the last three where attendance is mandatory.  There will be a final."  Then, he passed out another mountain of articles and left the classroom with us staring at each other.

It was probably the most beneficial class I have ever had.  I learned to set goals, get a support system to accomplish goals and to know that it was possible with a little effort each day and a record of progress.  However, I am imperfect and find the process cumbersome - EVEN THOUGH IT WORKS FOR ME EVERY TIME.  Just proves, sometimes we just don't go after what we want because of the commitment.

Oh - the final for the class? A complex rubric from the meetings, coffees, running together, parties, and effort toward accomplishing the goals.  It was a graduate class, no one received less than a B.

My goals accomplished?  I lost "over ten pounds" and started running and biking again (health); I set out to be accepted to a summer program that only picked 25 applicants from the State of Florida women vocational administrators (I was selected); I spent more quality time with my children.

Diana Nyad provided inspiration for many seniors who have had goals they thought were past that perhaps they, too, might still accomplish them.  I thank her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?   Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Diana Nyad Have A Message For Us or Is It Different?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: