Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Syria

Go down 
+4
alj
dkchristi
Abe F. March
slb
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 5:37 pm

The countries that harm "their own people" don't consider the people they are harming as "their own people" or they would not kill children.  They are so radical in their beliefs that the group they represent is the "only" way that anyone that opposes them is not worthy of life. 

It's a different value on life and more like the Christian fanatics who feel that anyone not saved is going to hell and therefore they must convert them to save them.  The Crusades murdered those who were not Christian.  It is a way of thinking that evolving nations grow beyond at some point.  Look how long it took the Protestants and Catholics in merry ole England before they stopped killing each other, men, women and children.  And people in this country provided money for guns and munitions and harbored the "murderers?"  My, how our perspective colors our idea of good and evil.

It's very complex.  I don't approve of President Obama calling the leader of Syria a "thug."  I know it's to stir up emotions for the action he believes is "right" in the vision we have of good and evil.  The leader of Syria is either protecting his job and wealth and perhaps the very lives of his family and extended family and/or believes his solution is best for his nation and the only way to get his way is to win - and for him - winning involves killing those in opposition just as the opposition sees it the other way.  It's a sort of combination religious, civil war I guess.  It's so complicated that he may truly believe the country will disintegrate and lose its integrity as a nation if he doesn't hold it together and get rid of opposition.  I can't see into his mind.  Perhaps he is evil and enjoys killing innocent people - but that's not a belief I would want to hold in these times of modern education and worldwide communication.

The truth is all I know is that the U.S. cannot police the world, especially when so much of it is in civil war and religious war where winning and losing is so complicated. 

We must, however, do everything we can to protect ourselves from those who do us harm at home and abroad.  That may entail activity of which I don't morally approve but must be done for the higher good.  Those lines are difficult to define when ideals come up against reality.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 am

I am opposed to military intervention in Syria. That being said, I am certain had Romney been voted in, we would be at  full scale war two years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 3:40 pm

I've spent the afternoon watching the congressional hearings on having a limited intervention in Syria. Secretaries Kerry and Hagel, along with Gen Martin Dempsey gave a solid argument.  It looks like the leadership of both parties is behind it.

There will be closed hearings again tomorrow, so that classified information can be discussed, and the proposition that goes before the members of congress will be very specific as to what is approved and what is not.

My position on the fence is beginning to waver; I, for one, will be watching closely.

Last edited by alj on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Don't you wonder if in those closed hearings the real truth comes out and that is where the real deals are made?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stephenbrayton.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 pm

What I think is that the closed sessions are needed to protect operatives and keep essential details secret.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 pm

According to SA's KSAT news, the Senate Foreign Relations Committe has approved the resolution authorizing a military response to the use of chemical weapons by Assad.  It will go to the full senate for debate next week.

Meantime, I understand the head of the UN has said that such action should not go ahead without UN approval.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Notice how the evil liberals aren't being called out as much now?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/09/03/john_boehner_syria_house_speaker_says_he_ll_vote_to_authorize_obama_s_plan.html

Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 10:24 pm

I agree with Putin.  Until/unless there is proof that Assad used the chemical weapons, there should be no strike.  The Rebels are suspect.
In any case, it should go before the UN and not be a US decision.  The world will feel the effect of any strike and therefore should be involved. JMO
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 am

We all would like to see a peaceful solution, but in a world where so many are still focusing on extremes,we cannot find it.  Peace requires balance - equality, justice, and fairness.  When one rogue group is intent on challenging the world by breaking a law that has been in place for a century, everything is thrown out of balance.  No balance = no peace.

It seems to me that the world leaders who might be able to bring us back into balance are proceeding with caution, while, at the same time, making it clear that a change must occur.  The process is not complete.  In the meantime, Assad has the opportunity to see what could well be coming, and to back off.  In the meantime, by following the present course, more time is being given to another current process - the balancing of powers within Syria itself.

Why don't we give these processes time to work out a peaceful solution by letting go of our limited perspectives long enough for the Universe to work this out.

Best way to do that is to remain neutral.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 am

When we can get rid of the urge to kill, we'll have a better world.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 6:12 am

Obama says, "No troops on the ground".  As I recall, there were no troops on the ground with the attack at Pearl Harbor.

Recent intercept from Iran says that they will inflict revenge against America if America attacks Syria.
Right or wrong, we know what we can expect.  Killing to revenge killing.  Jeeesh!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 6:34 am

I have no idea what is correct.  I have no faith in the information we receive.  It is different on CNN, FOX, NBC or anywhere you go on television.  It is different on the Internet news sites.  Information is classified and known by the few.  Every reporter sees something different.

From a moral perspective something needs to stop the killing.  Period.  The vengeful hearts of people seems unstoppable though there are many examples of cure after the carnage finally ends.  Why not a prevention? 

The U. S. should prevent.  Those powerful people with money and power across the world need their hearts changed so they will no longer fund war. They need to take the excessive profits and put them where their infusion will stop the killing.  If no one produced weapons any longer that kill masses of people then disputes would have to be settled in a modern, legal way.  If a country's power was not measured by its weapons but instead by its humanity, then war would not be an option.

It seems to me that unemployment and poverty feed the war machine.  Even in this country, many of those who volunteer do so because they can attain no other employment and the military is an honorable ticket to economic stability and an education.

Soldiers across the world are purchased from poverty and unemployment, whether rebels or those in power.  The unrest in Egypt is among the youth with education and no job prospects.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 6:48 am

Good post, DK.  Agree entirely.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 am

I'm on a roll. Instead of bombing and providing weapons, the goal should be to take away weapons from all sides.  Without weapons, they must communicate and seek resolution.  I'm beginning to think the armaments and war machine manufacturers (including the manufacture of bombs and whatever sends them) are encouraging insurrection and war to increase their profits.

The major powers need to destroy ALL weapons of mass destruction so they are no longer representations of power.  Nothing can be done in secret anymore with all the technology there is.  Once WMD are destroyed everywhere an international council of all nations would prevent their development anywhere in the world.  Then all that money spent for destruction could be spent on education and food and health care and the development of sustainable fuel.

Unfortunately, the war instinct, the belief in the power of weapons, is so ingrained that those with those beliefs cannot see alternatives.  Religious convictions seem to divide people.  That is surely not what their beliefs intended.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 am

I like your idea for the destruction of all WMD's, however I doubt that it will ever come to pass.  Money is the deciding factor.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 am

Those religions all go back to a tribal mentality.  So does the concept of hoarding, where the basic instinct is still survival.  This was a world still at the mercy of nature.

I'm remembering the story of Joseph - the old testament one, not the husband of Mary.  Joseph interpreted the pharaoh's dream where seven years of fat cows and healthy grain ended with lean cows and shriveling grains swallowing up the fat ones.  Joseph then taught the Egyptians how to harvest and store during the good years so that they would not starve during the lean ones.  And so, the concept of scarcity became a guiding factor.

Lean times meant that the warriors had to go out and pillage the villages that had stores, and defending the hoard was essential.  Campbell says that this was the beginning of the Hero concept - the good guy who defended the village against the evil bad guys who attacked them.

The winners believed that they won because God was on their side.  Maybe that came about to cover a sense of guilt for breaking the law that said, "Thou shalt not kill."  They believed they needed to overcome that enemy in order to survive.  Killing was OK if God decreed it.  If God was on your side, you would thrive (the basis, maybe, for the Calvinistic notion that you could tell who was good and who was evil by how much God had graced him.  The story of Job is a Biblical example.  Job knew he had done no wrong, and yet he suffered, and the yet, the people were convinced that he must have angered God, because he was suffering.

All of these old notions are still with us today.  They are the cause for the urge to go to war.

Fear of scarcity
  Poor people do not deserve any sympathy because they are lazy, or violent, or evil or all of the above.  God favors the good - the good are wealthy - so focus on gaining wealth, and with it, power.  Hoard that wealth because there is not enough to go around.  We are favored by God, so anyone who would take from us must be evil.

A vicious circle based on fallacious reasoning.

We have to begin with ourselves as individuals and do and say whatever is in our power that might help others to see the truth.

I hear what Abe and DK are saying.  I see it as a sign that the world is changing.  It is not that greed and violence are getting worse so much as that we, as a whole, are seeing more and more that it is wrong, rather than ignoring blindly what has been happening all along and that the basic premises that lead to war and poverty are flawed.

That, I believe , is a positive sign.

Change always comes from the people.  More and more of the people are waking up to a new reality..  As a result, the world is changing.  What we are seeing right now are the death throes of an old paradigm that does not want things to change because they fear losing control.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 am

Interesting Ann.  Thought provoking.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Unfortunately while individuals are changing, entire nations are slaughtering their own people.  Individual change is too slow.  Those who have evolved already need to take hold and make a major difference.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm

We keep doing what we are doing. We express our views in public forums. We talk to those around us, especially those who haven't quite got it yet. We continue to hold an image of how it ought to be. We write it. We believe it is coming. We find what it takes to trust in a Universe that is involved and working toward the best possible future. We hope.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Hope.  An important word.
Back to top Go down
slb
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
slb

Number of posts : 926
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Really? Criminal Obama has the gall today to compare Syria to World War II? This Syrian war has been killing thousands for years and now that Assad is using other weapons than bullets Obama is upset? Where was the importance of stopping the terrorists last year in Benghazi when Americans were directly attacked and killed.  Where was his all fired up speeches about doing the right thing. No! This man is no president, this man is no leader. This man is a disgrace to the office. This man is a liar and a criminal who needs impeached and imprisoned. This man is trying to prove he's not the dove, military hating, American apologist he's proven to be. He doesn't have the strategy planned out that he and the libs demanded of Bush. He doesn't have a clear cut option. He doesn't have the political guts to recognize and accept he is wrong and that everything he's lacking, he blasted Bush for. And why does he need approval from Congress or the American people for that matter. Why doesn't he just executive order it like he's done so many things? Why? Because this one matter is so important that when it fails HE will be directly responsible and he can't stand that possibility. He needs to be able to rant and rave about the wrongness of the situation but when it comes down to solid solutions, he won't accept responsibility. And Congress doesn't have the guts to hold him accountable for all the other crimes he's committed.

I'm so sick of this man and what he's done to this country and to Americans. He spent the first year or so apologizing to the world for America. When the next person is elected that person should apologize to the world for Obama and the slimy bastards in Congress. We as Americans should stand up and demand accountability from those in Washington and if they won't acceded, then it's time to take action.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stephenbrayton.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Criminal? Take action? Have you considered a citizen's arrest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwEvysDpNm0
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Good one, Al.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 7:51 am

We used agent orange in Vietnam.  Many Vietnamese are still dying and suffering from that chemical.
Who bombed us for using chemical weapons?
A biblical scripture says, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone". 
We are in no position to cast stones.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 am

That's why I find name-calling so offensive.  Every nation has its atrocities along the way.  It doesn't mean we should condone them.  We can say, "Stop!  The world is changing and there is room for everyone.  We will send aid to lift up the poor and investments to enrich the country.  Do not kill anymore people.  Find a solution that allows for living in some semblance of tolerance if not acceptance."  Instead we say, "Thug!" or "Axis of Evil" or emphasize the atrocities and create a reason to hate one side or the other.  Hate gives permission for war.

Ever watch a hostage negotiation on tv or in the movies?  Everyone has to give up something to get something.  Sometimes they fail - but often the hostages are freed.  We are being held hostage as the policeman of the world.  We may have to give up something to let go of that role.  I don't see that life in England, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Turkey, or even Russia and it's former members of the Soviet Socialist Republic is worse than when each held its position as a power to be feared.  They have transitioned in various stages and with different degrees of success to a lifestyle that provides opportunities for most citizens to receive educations, work and a semblance of family life.  Perfection is unattainable so long as we are human.

And then we continue to build weapons that kill masses of people at once:  mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, children, loved ones, friends, neighbors, shopkeepers, laborers, musicians, artists, artisans as if "collateral damage" is okay.  It's not okay in our country and it's not okay in theirs.

No, we cannot condone the "terrorists" or "fanatics" though we have had plenty home grown, too.  However, they began with hate and religious fanaticism and they need someone to show them the way to tolerance.

However, the war machine would prefer to call people of reason "liberals" with a sneer - another label.  The Christians even shout for war, condone capital punishment, support weapons ownership and manufacture.

Where is another Gandhi?  Another Mohamed?  Another Christ?  Another Martin Luther King?  Another Buddha?  Another Mother Teresa? Where are the leaders of peaceful co-existence?  Where are the men and women with the courage to proclaim that enough is enough and lead the United Nations and the rest of world's organizations into roles that have power to promote peace and tolerance?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Syria - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syria   Syria - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Syria
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next