Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Pennsylvania Germans

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The Pennsylvania Germans Empty
PostSubject: The Pennsylvania Germans   The Pennsylvania Germans EmptyFri Sep 05, 2008 7:08 am

Numerous Protestant denominations got their start in Pennsylvania. After reading The Reformation recently, I dug out my book on The Pennsylvania Germans. The following are some excerpts from “The Pennsylvania Germans” by Charles H. Glatfelter

The largest body of German sect people in colonial Pennsylvania were the Mennonites, spiritual descendants of Menno Simons (1496-1561), a contemporary of Martin Luther.

The Amish, disciples of Jacob Ammann, a Swiss, were formed in the 1690’s as a secession from the Mennonites when they adopted as their main distinctive practice the complete shunning of those members who had been disciplined or excommunicated from their ranks.

The German Baptist Brethren, sometimes called Dunkers or Dunkards and then the Church of the Brethren, were formed in Germany in 1708 under the leadership of Alexander Mack (1679-1735). Their main distinctive sect beliefs were that prospective members should be baptized as adults by being immersed three times face forward in a flowing stream and that they should follow Jesus’ example by engaging in foot washing.

Between 1783 and 1865 religious developments matched in importance those in other aspects of Pennsylvania German life. At least four new denominations came into existence. During the later years of the revolution a group, most of whom were Lancaster county Mennonites who now favored the Dunkard mode of baptism, formed the River Brethren, now the Brethren in Christ.

Second, in the 1790’s or shortly thereafter the efforts of Philip William Otterbein (1726-1813), a Reformed pastor; Martin Boehm (1725-1812), a former Mennonite; and others resulted in the birth of the United Brethren in Christ.

Third, about 1800 Jacob Albright (1759-1808) and his followers organized the Evangelical Association, a church not to be confused with several others in whose name the word evangelical has been used. Because
in many ways they were similar to the rapidly growing Methodist church in the United ‘States, United Brethren and Evangelicals were sometimes called German Methodists.

Fourth, about 1825-1830 Dauphin and Cumberland County followers of John Winebrenner (1797-1860), a Reformed pastor, formed the Church of God. (From the Church of God there evolved the Penticostal and the Assembly of God churches.)

In 1789, Lutheran and reformed pastors and others organized Franklin College in Lancaster. The Moravians began their seminary at Bethlehem in 1820; the Reformed established theirs in Carlisle in 1825; and the Lutherans theirs in Gettysburg in 1826.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Pennsylvania Germans   The Pennsylvania Germans EmptySat Sep 06, 2008 7:10 am

Very interesting. Apparently Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio is named for P.W. Otterbein.
This kind of stuff always makes me wonder about people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pennsylvania Germans   The Pennsylvania Germans EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 12:28 pm

I see them every once in a while when we go out to PA.

Bought a refrigerator magnet with an Amish cart that reads: I *heart* Intercourse. Then in smaller letters it adds: PA.

http://www.800padutch.com/intercourse.shtml

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pennsylvania Germans   The Pennsylvania Germans EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 7:03 am

Elf,
PA doesn't always mean Publish America. The next time someone starts bashing PA, I will take exception. They might be bashing my home state of Pennsylvania.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pennsylvania Germans   The Pennsylvania Germans EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:35 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Elf,
PA doesn't always mean Publish America. The next time someone starts bashing PA, I will take exception. They might be bashing my home state of Pennsylvania.

Ha! Ha! That is sooo true! Go PA! Go PA! Wink

If you want to watch a fun movie about the Amish, check out "For Richer or Poorer" with Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley. It's cute.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pennsylvania Germans   The Pennsylvania Germans Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pennsylvania Germans
Page 1 of 1