Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Church separation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Church separation Empty
PostSubject: Church separation   Church separation EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 am

Went to Neustadt today continuing my radiation treatments.  My daughter and grand-daughter went with me.  After my treatment, we went in town since my daughter wanted visit the cathedral.  The outside of the cathedral loomed large.  When we entered she remarked how small it was compared to the outside.  The history of this cathedral goes back to the time of Martin Luther and his reformists.  We were told that a wall was placed in the middle of the cathedral.  We were on the side for Protestants.  The other side of the wall was for the Catholics with a separate entrance. The catholic side was not open.

I wondered how it would work if one building housed the various denominations within the Christian church.  I suppose it would have to be a very large building.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Church separation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church separation   Church separation EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:34 am

Last month there were floods in Germany.  Now there is a heat wave with temperatures in the high 40’s Centigrade.  Some roads are buckling from the heat creating hazardous driving.
Since most homes don’t have AC, people close windows and doors to keep out the sunlight and keep the homes cooler.  They also go down into the basement where it is cooler.  Cathedrals, with their high ceilings and thick walls are always cool inside and there are many people sitting in church these days.  They are not there to meditate, but to cool down
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Church separation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church separation   Church separation EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Quote :
  "His Holiness and his Grace. Well, they could not hire me for either o' those positions. How many religions are there?"
"All over the earth?"
"Yu' can begin with ourselves. Right hyeh at home I know there's Romanists, and Episcopals--"
"Two kinds!" I put in. "At least two of Episcopals."
"That's three. Then Methodists and Baptists, and--"
"Three Methodists!"
"Well, you do the countin'."
I accordingly did it, feeling my revolving memory slip cogs all the way round. "Anyhow, there are safely fifteen."
"Fifteen." He held this fact a moment. "And they don't worship a whole heap o' different gods like the ancients did?"
"Oh, no!"
"It's just the same one?"
"The same one."
The Virginian folded his hands over the horn of his saddle, and leaned forward upon them in contemplation of the wide, beautiful landscape.
"One God and fifteen religions," was his reflection. "That's a right smart of religions for just one God."
This way of reducing it was, if obvious to him, so novel to me that my laugh evidently struck him as a louder and livelier comment than was required. He turned on me as if I had somehow perverted the spirit of his words.
"I ain't religious. I know that. But I ain't unreligious. And I know that too."
"So do I know it, my friend."
"Do you think there ought to be fifteen varieties of good people?" His voice, while it now had an edge that could cut anything it came against, was still not raised. "There ain't fifteen. There ain't two. There's one kind. And when I meet it, I respect it. It is not praying nor preaching that has ever caught me and made me ashamed of myself, but one or two people I have knowed that never said a superior word to me They thought more o' me than I deserved, and that made me behave better than I naturally wanted to. Made me quit a girl onced in time for her not to lose her good name. And so that's one thing I have never done. And if ever I was to have a son or somebody I set store by, I would wish their lot to be to know one or two good folks mighty well--men or women--women preferred."

The Virginian:  A Horseman of the Plains; Owen Wister; 1902
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Church separation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church separation   Church separation EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Church separation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church separation   Church separation EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 am

I love the Virginian.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Church separation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church separation   Church separation EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 am

Betty Fasig wrote:
I love the Virginian.

Love,
Betty

Me, too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

Church separation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Church separation   Church separation Empty

Back to top Go down

Church separation