Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Social Media

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Social Media Empty
PostSubject: Social Media   Social Media EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 11:04 am

You may want to visit this site and learn some truths about social media.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Social Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Media   Social Media EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 2:14 am

Making posts on FB is becoming more difficult.  What first appeared as a glitch causing me to re-boot my PC is not the problem.  It appears to have something to do with censoring what is being posted.  Keeping trolls away may be an excuse to keep unfavorable political comments from being posted. I suspect that there are key words that alert the censors.  The words: Trump, Israel, Palestine, Iran, Russia, the EU are prime suspects.  I am not the only one having these problems in posting remarks/replies to these subjects.   Expressing political views is a hot topic with FB and much can be learned about people and their political leanings.  Where “unfriending” people that use profanity in their posts or that contain racial slurs is no longer effective.  Blocking comments became necessary, however even that is no longer an alternative given that the blocking tools are often not available.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Social Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Media   Social Media EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 am

I post very little on facebook. I have one friend who seems to enjoy the counter-arguments about the present US political situation, but most of my friends don't like differing political opinions. I used to comment on fake memes, but no longer have to; someone else will already have made a comment with a reference to snopes, or will do eventually. Much of the political stuff is fake news, and facebook has been heavily criticised for facilitating its spread.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Social Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Media   Social Media EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 5:52 am

Products being promoted on FB. 
In the not too distant past, book promotions were prevalent and then disappeared. Other products are now being promoted on a regular basis.  There was a particular product, a back brace that is designed for posture and to protect the back.  Since I have back problems, it looked appealing, showing a reasonable price and free shipping.  I placed an order giving my US Bank America CC.  I waited about two weeks and not having received the product, I sent an inquiry via email.  They responded saying that they had no record of the order.  In the meanwhile, I received my CC Statement with the charge on the statement.  Just prior to the due date, I called Bank America to dispute the charge.  The 800-telephone number does not work for calls outside the US and I was so informed that I would be charged for the call at regular rates.  The first response recording asked what it pertained to and to press one or two if applicable, or stay on the line saying that “all operators are busy now, stay on the line and the next available operator will assist you.”  Once I got an operator and went through the verification process as to my identity, I finally explained the situation, contesting the charge.  I didn’t’ want to be given a late charge on my account and thus the reason for the call.  The operator wanted to know if I inquired about the delivery with the supplier and I told them that they said that they had no record of the order.  Why then was my Card charged if they had no record of the order?   I was told that the charge would be placed in dispute and that there would not be any late charge.  I was further advised that they would respond with three working days concerning the matter.  I received an email with Bank America’s web address where the pending action could be read, I did that and it said that the matter was resolved.
I would still like the item originally ordered and have seen it advertised again on FB.  I am reluctant to order anything over the I-Net giving my CC information.  When I want to order a book, I call my local book store and they order it for me.  I suspect that in the case of the product order mentioned above, they may have cancelled the order themselves when seeing the foreign delivery address.  There was no indication of any restriction as to the area(s) of delivery.  I did a search for a similar back brace apparatus and all of the responses are I-Net addresses.  Apparently not available in stores.  The hassle involved in correcting an order or filing a complaint is time-consuming along with much irritation.  I’m becoming more anti-technology especially where human contact is being replaced with robotic devices.
Anyone with similar experiences?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Social Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Media   Social Media EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 7:40 am

I had a similar experience with ebay. We are in the process of upgrading/decluttering our home. I made numerous purchases online with no problems until an order appeared on my ebay account that I hadn't placed. I cancelled the order, but like you, I had to go through my bank for reimbursement. Fortunately, all the ordering is finished and I no longer need or use my ebay account. It was a narrow escape.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Social Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Media   Social Media EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 10:27 am

A situation where misery loves company, not really.  One must be extremely cautious these days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Social Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Media   Social Media Empty

Back to top Go down

Social Media
Page 1 of 1