Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Proof reading and editing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-11-29

Proof reading and editing Empty
PostSubject: Proof reading and editing   Proof reading and editing EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 am

I've finished the easy bit; written my novel.
50,800 words. A little light, I know but everybody says; tell the story, don't count the words. So that's what I've done.
What I'd really like to do now is have my manuscript professionally edited and proof read.
I’ve had a few on-line quotes based on the word count, which have been a bit scary.
Would any of you rate the programme Grammarly as a starting point, or would that be a waste of time and money. I know I will need a human to proof read eventually but would Grammarly be a shot before presenting?

Any personal recommendations would be appreciated.
If anyone on the forum is into editing and proof reading, please drop me a pm.

Also; self-publishing to Kindle is this a serious option?

Rhino trikes
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhino-trikes.co.uk
tensejim
One Star Member
One Star Member
tensejim

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-12-13

Proof reading and editing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Proof reading and editing   Proof reading and editing EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:01 am

Hi!

I am no professional, but I am ok with english and grammer. I edited my book four times and every time I did it I found at least punctuation errors. I am sure an English major could look at my book and find plenty of mistakes yet. I tried to get friends to read it but nobody was getting back with me after two months. I have two friends who are retired English professors but neither had time to do it though they said they would. Bottom line is, I edited it all myself until I felt comfortable that it read smoothly.

My personal feeling is that if you have the ability to do a decent editing of your book then you should be safe to self publish as an ebook. I say this because you will probably sell it for 3.99 or less and have partake of the free promotions that Amazon allows. I still want to get my English teacher friend to edit it more thoroughly before I put it to actual print. Nobody should have to pay for a paperback copy that has not been properly edited.

Yes, self publishing to Kindle (Amazon) is a great trend. It is becoming quite the slush pile so you definately want to do your best in editing and content to stand out. If you are a new author, it is a great way to "get your feet wet" and start getting an understanding of your new business/hobby!

With all of this said, know that I only just published my book on Amazon a week ago and am in the beginning of the learning stage. Keep reading here and asking questions. I am learning a lot just reading content that pertains to me at this time.

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
http://giftedbook.blogspot.com/

Proof reading and editing
Page 1 of 1