Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Kindle Select Program

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bruno.logreco
One Star Member
One Star Member
bruno.logreco

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-10-29

Kindle Select Program Empty
PostSubject: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Hello every one.

I'm researching the pros and cons of kindle select program. Does anyone here have any experience using it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.stopsabotagingyourlife.brunologreco.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 2:13 am

I have books in the select program. When the select program was set up, the numbers of free books were relatively small. Now that the program is established, the number of free books per day is enormous, therefore it is much more difficult to stand out. The biggest part of the promotion depends upon the author driving traffic to the free book to maximise downloads and get Amazon's algorithms working for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
bruno.logreco
One Star Member
One Star Member
bruno.logreco

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 am

Thanks Shelagh!

I guess early adopters of KDP Select benefited from the program. I wonder if there is still value in joining the program for 90 days, just to get the word out about the book? I also read that it is important to have a least 10 reviews before signing up for the program. Any merit to that strategy?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 6:32 am

I recently put some of my books back into the Select program. I had never had much response from the lending part, because the price of my books is too low. Since members can only borrow one book a month, they tend to go for the higher priced ones.

I went back - just for 3 months - so that I could offer them free for a few days each month. I offered one each for one day. Quite a few were read, and since, the sales on those books have improved considerably. It could be a fluke, but if so, it's a nice one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 am

bruno.logreco wrote:
I also read that it is important to have a least 10 reviews before signing up for the program. Any merit to that strategy?
The free books are actually supposed to generate the reviews that produce the sales post-promotion.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
bruno.logreco
One Star Member
One Star Member
bruno.logreco

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:55 am

Awh!! That makes sense.

I have much to consider. Do I wait to publish my next book before trying KDP Select or do I try it now? I think i'll wait for my second book to be released.

Shelagh wrote:
bruno.logreco wrote:
I also read that it is important to have a least 10 reviews before signing up for the program. Any merit to that strategy?
The free books are actually supposed to generate the reviews that produce the sales post-promotion.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 8:48 am

Reviews are important. I read this comment on Forbes an hour ago:

"... It seems that every author has twenty or thirty friends who are willing to write glowing reviews of his or her book, no matter how awful. And conversely, a mainstream author like Brad Thor finds himself targeted by scads of low ratings based solely on the high list price of his ebooks – which he does not control. The net effect is to make the peer rating systems useless."

If this is true, then generating good reviews and creating a buzz will do more for a book's sales than paying for a professional editor to polish a manuscript (Amanda Hocking's books were littered with typos). You can read the article here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

ETA: My interpretation of the quote is contrary to the point being made: peer rating systems are useless. Although that may well be the case for established authors trying to reduce the competition from indie authors, from a self-published authors point of view, the peer rating system is extremely valuable.

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am

bruno.logreco wrote:
Awh!! That makes sense.

I have much to consider. Do I wait to publish my next book before trying KDP Select or do I try it now? I think i'll wait for my second book to be released.

Shelagh wrote:
bruno.logreco wrote:

From my limited experience, and after reading the posts of several people here, I would guess that the more titles you have available, the better the system works.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
jcrichton

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:01 pm

KDP select is okay, but most people try it out for a while, then take their books off so they can sell them elsewhere also. Not sure it is worth it in the long run. But of course that is widely debated. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kindle Select Program   Kindle Select Program Empty

Back to top Go down

Kindle Select Program
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: