Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Sandy aftermath

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Sandy aftermath Empty
PostSubject: Sandy aftermath   Sandy aftermath EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 am

Thought it might be a good idea to have a place for all comments and news bits. Any news anybody comes across that might help those who are concerned, for whatever reason - anything and everything Superstorm Sandy.

I know my family in NJ is OK, but since they are still w/o power, they need to conserve whatever energy they can connect with to keep their batteries charged, and they really don't know anything about what is going on outside the few blocks around their house.

As far as I know, Joe hasn't been able to make contact with his family on Staten Island.

There are probably others around here who have concerns.

There are several articles out there about the reopening of Wall Street, and how the city worked harder to get them up and running than they did anywhere else. That is a good thing, I imagine. It will give us all a sense of security. So much of our country's state of affairs goes on in NYC.

Another situation has received far less attention. I ran across it at the bottom of an article about how the city, especially lower Manhattan, where Wall Street is located, and where the worst flooding of the island has occurred. (The NYSE is, I understand, pretty much the only place in the area that has power.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
The Occupy Wall Street movement started grassroots disaster relief efforts in Astoria, the Lower East Side of Manhattan and the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn.
The group helped recruit volunteers for the Red Cross and city shelters and announced that it established a food kitchen in Brooklyn, where it plans to host a disaster relief "boot camp" this morning.

Not sure why the mainstream media is ignoring that bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Sandy aftermath Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sandy aftermath   Sandy aftermath EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am

Son Dave took this pic and posted it on his facebook page - string of utility trucks from Tennessee heading in to NJ by way of Pennsylvania to help get power restored.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They saw it while on a trip into Pennsylvania, incidentally, to buy gas for the car, since the lines were long and rationing was heavy at home. He says the problem is that the gasoline distribution center in Newark is out of commission from the storm. That center serves much of NJ and southern New York State including NYC and Staten Island. Hence the long lines and rationing there.

He finally got the downed tree out of the power line it was tangled in. He and a neighbor (Dave's tree; blocking neighbor's driveway) decided to go ahead and get a private contractor to take care of the mess. Lo and behold, as soon as it was done, a power truck pulled up and got their lights back on within minutes. Seems the power company has two reasons for insisting customers wait for them to do the job: One, they avoid any liability if something goes wrong, because they told you not to do it; and two, they avoid the expense since the customer pays the contractor. They actually want people to defy them, and when they do, the power company responds faster than if they hadn't.

Wacky world we live in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com

Sandy aftermath
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: