Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues

Go down 
+3
Dick Stodghill
Pam
zadaconnaway
7 posters
AuthorMessage
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues Empty
PostSubject: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 8:07 am

Amazon is forging ahead, gaining a 41% jump in revenues in the 2nd quarter, and 31% in their total media group. They are expanding their kindle offerings and the number of titles available is now at 140,000.

You can read the full article from Publisher's Weekly here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 1:03 pm

So the price of gas increasing means that more people are reading? Might be a bit of a leap, but then as long as folks are reading, I am perfectly okay with it!
We are still watching for the Kindle to be released here in Canada, because although I know that I prefer reading things in a book, my daughter tells me that I'm being old fashioned (thank goodness she says it sweetly!). Her friends in the US are getting on the Kindle wagon, and they pretty much welcome all of it...Mobipocket, graphic novels, e-books, and the old fashioned stuff too.
Have you seen that Diana Gabaldon is in the midst of creating a graphic novel?
I might have to re-think some things, just as soon as I get a moment... bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 2:48 pm

It's obvious that Amazon is doing well and any problems with publishers haven't hurt them a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 pm

I think the increase in gas prices will help out many online businesses, because people don't have to travel to buy things online. In most circomstances it takes less fuel to ship a book via UPS or USPS or FedEx than it would take for you to drive to the bookstore and buy it and drive back home. In this regard, shopping online is good for the environment too.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 6:21 am

I agree, Gordon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 8:16 am

ot so much people reading more as buying on line instead of driving to bookstore?

Well, maybe.

Of course, the book from amazon ends up being flown on a plane then delivered by postal truck.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 8:55 am

Well, if people can't afford to spend their time driving or opperating their gas guzzling energy wasting toys, they'll have to find other things to do. Something that requiers very little energy is reading. All you need to read is a light (if its dark out) and one can use an LED bulb to read that consumes less than 10 watts. Compare that to a car engine that can use 200 horsepower (149,200 watts) or more! Besides, reading is good for the mind. I think the mental exercise of reading, especially reading new or scientific material, can strengthen connections in the brain and possibly improve intelligence.
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 12:46 pm

One thing to remember, Amazon sells a lot more then books. So I don't know if more people are reading or buying their books online, but they sure are shopping online.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Well, at least some of them are buying books. Unfortunately, there are those who are too lazy to read books who just want to park their butt in front of a TV and sit there all day long watching brainless programming and dining on junk food. Besides books, amazon.com sells a lot of movies and music too.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 1:49 pm

I started shopping online when I moved to northern MN in 1990, and now,
even though I'm within a short distance from any kind of store
imaginable in Southern CA, I still like the ease of online shopping.
It's not good for browsing, tho. I usually know what I'm after.

But for a wonderful evening of wandering the aisles and picking up this
book or that one, there's still nothing like a good book store.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues   Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues Empty

Back to top Go down

Amazon cites gas crunch as helping their revenues
Page 1 of 1