Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Starch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Starch Empty
PostSubject: Starch   Starch EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Way, way, way, way, way,back....even farther back than that, many way backs, people starched and ironed clothes. It has not been something that I have been affflicted with since modern day cleaner shops and permanent press.

My David has contemplated this laundry situation and concluded that if, IF I (we are talking me) did this stuff that we could save a goodly bundle of over a 100 a month.

I bought the starch (spray on)
I bought the ironing board.

It took me from noon until 3:30 to iron 8 shirts and 3 pants.

He was proud of me.

He thought that I would get faster at it.

He was not happy with the stiffness of the cuffs.

I did not give a ....

I blinked a lot.

Love,
Betty

Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Starch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starch   Starch EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 7:17 pm

3/17/2012

Betty..

I remember 52 years ago my mother used a bottle with

water and starch, she sprinkled the clothes, rolled them

then later she ironed them, she had to iron clothes for 6

children and two adults and that was before cotton and

polyester. I remember the shirts were a heavy cotton..

Cheers..Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Starch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starch   Starch EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 8:07 pm

I worked in the laundry at high school ironing shirts. I iron nothing now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Starch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starch   Starch EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 am

When Bill and I first married, I had the opposite problem. He hated starched shirts, but wore white cotton dress shirts to work everyday - button-down oxford cloth shirts. Have you ever tried to iron oxford cloth to a smooth finish without using starch??

My approach to solving the problem was a bit passive-aggressive, I will admit. I would "forget" to do them every now and again, and would iron one for him at the last minute while he ate his breakfast. Of course, they had to be heavily sprinkled, especially without the starch, so, when he put them on, the inside of the neck would still be warm, and slightly damp. It wasn't long before he decided that it would be fine to let the cleaners handle the job, as long as they used no starch and didn't fold the shirts, but put them on hangers.

I willingly agreed with him that it was the best thing to do. Starch 976521

BTW, should you ever scorch a white shirt while you are ironing it, did you know that the best way to get rid of the scorch is to hang it on a clothesline in the sun for an hour or two?

Now, if we only still had clotheslines.

Ahh, the good old days.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Starch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starch   Starch EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:44 am

No dryer in our house. My wife doesn't want one. She prefers using the clothes line. Sure saves on electricity and on machine repairs. She also thinks that dryers damage clothes.

Ironing is rare. Hanging clothes on a line eliminates the need for much ironing, and the smell of sun and wind drying is pleasant.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Starch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starch   Starch EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 7:26 am

Actually, research has shown that the dryer can be better for the life of our clothes - especially the newer ones. Early dryers only had extremely high heat. That isn't the case now.

I learned a lot from my mother - a housekeeping fanatic. Keep a clothesline for certain things. Like sleeping on sheets that were hung in fresh air to dry, so they had a fresh scent. Never put towels on the line, though; the dryer gently fluffs them and makes them softer and more absorbent.

Those are old rules, of course. Some neighborhood associations today frown on clotheslines.

I still iron. I prefer wearing natural fabrics, but it never rains in the dryer, nor does the sun beat down too strongly during a summer drought and fade them. The dryer can be set for any conditions or circumstances, including "less dry" so that you don't have to sprinkle them before ironing them. A properly set dryer "dewrinkles" many items to the point they don't need the touch of an iron.

For things that do, a bit of light starch can make the iron glide and wrinkles smooth out much easier, and putting the slightly damp clothes into a spare pillowcase, and the case into the fridge for a little while, works even more wonders. Ironing can be a zen thing, like washing dishes instead of using the dishwasher once in a while.

Technology is not a bad thing, especially where housekeeping is concerned.

When I was a very young girl, my mom still had a black iron wash pot in the back yard, for boiling sheets, #3 washtubs, and a metal scrub board for getting rid of stubborn stains.

Different strokes. Smile

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Starch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starch   Starch EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:06 am