Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Musa Publishing et al

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Musa Publishing et al Empty
PostSubject: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 5:41 pm

I reported in an earlier thread that my spy book was accepted by Musa and that my nursing home book was at Carina Press being evaluated. This is an update.

Carina rejected the old folk's book. I submitted it to Musa and they accepted it immediately. Both my completed novels were then under contract to Musa Publishing.

In recent days the publisher has offered to release me from the contracts. She left it up to me, saying that she would prefer to keep the projects active. I requested that the contracts be cancelled.

Once that happens, the books are no longer on a publishing schedule. I am thinking about putting them in the trunk.

I think I'll have a beer and settle in for the evening.

Al

Last edited by Al Stevens on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 6:03 pm

I agree. However, I am compelled to write. There are other small presses...if the stories were worth writing they are worth sending out to potential publishers, aren't they?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 pm

That depends on whether this experience is typical.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 am

The difference between non-fiction and fiction, Al, is that non-fiction books are targeted at a specific market that already exists. Fiction authors (traditional and indie) have to create a following and that takes years. The successful authors are the ones who hang in there, the rest fall away. Authors have to show the same perseverance Lincoln did.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 4:38 am

Being able to get out of a contract is what is not typical. Searching forever for a publisher is par.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 6:29 am

Shelagh wrote:
The difference between non-fiction and fiction, Al, is that non-fiction books are targeted at a specific market that already exists. Fiction authors (traditional and indie) have to create a following and that takes years. The successful authors are the ones who hang in there, the rest fall away. Authors have to show the same perseverance Lincoln did.
You are right. The times they are a'changing. But to address one of your points: We computer programming writers from the 90s and into the 00s definitely had to build a following in order to succeed. Once the genre was established there was a lot of competition. Readers had many choices and the author's name meant a lot. As you say, that's not so true at least with programming books now, because the genre is declining. The Internet provides the same information for free.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:00 am

I have an acquaintance who publishes with CreateSpace. He's on his third book. He sells them at the flea market. Period. Every other Saturday, there he is with his novels and he sells quite a few. A few also sell on Amazon. He makes no other effort to promote his books; yet, they are good reads and he has had some nice reviews. His name is Jim Hughes and he wrote the Baja Project, The Cuban Affair and is writing a third now.

I have colleagues on the yahoo loop for L & L Dreamspell who sell a ton of books They first sell them at their "launch" to which hundreds of people participate. They have a well-followed blog and blog on others blogs. They write for Examiner.com and other ezines. They contribute sort stories to anthologies. They go to book fairs and conferences. I mean, they are out there!

I don't think having CreateSpace as publisher or L & L Dreamspell (or any other small press) makes the difference. It is the author's "out there" that sells books unless you are already famous or have a mainline publisher.

I still think it's easier to promote a book you can take with you. I've not quite figured out how to launch an ebook or have a book signing. However, many people have done quite well with their ebooks also.

Me, I prefer a small press to self-publishing just because it's easier to get higher level reviews and does give an iota of prestige - I mean I even turn my nose up at self-published books when many people I know have written perfectly respectable books and self-published. After all, how do I justify a small press for my own books as being a step up if I don't grab a little snobbery to go with it?

Remember, rejection does not mean a poorly written book; it means that publisher is not looking for your type of story. My publisher has definite lines. Romance only publishers are very strict. I have rewritten endings to be "happy for now" or "happy ever after" to get a short story in an anthology.

Rejection may mean some more edits are needed. It may not. Look at submissions as a hobby - and one might strike. Usually you only have to send the first 5000 words, and most small presses want the stuff email these days. The mainline guys still want it by snail mail except for Tor/Force and a few others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Musa Publishing et al   Musa Publishing et al Empty

Back to top Go down

Musa Publishing et al
Page 1 of 1