Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Do you treat your characters like actors?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Do you treat your characters like actors? Empty
PostSubject: Do you treat your characters like actors?   Do you treat your characters like actors? EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 8:59 am

cc

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you treat your characters like actors?   Do you treat your characters like actors? EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 am

It seems that those authors who have common characters across many novels have a strong following = they also see to get movie contracts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you treat your characters like actors?   Do you treat your characters like actors? EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:49 am

I carry strong visuals in my head of a heroic concept, which has developed and changed over time, but has defined most of the major characters in my books and stories. I also have a concept of the antithesis of this hero, whom I call upon when my storyline needs a villain. The "hero" has both masculine and feminine counterparts.

Sometimes, in books I have read, individuals I have known, and characters enacted in films and on TV, I see parts of this concept being played out. So, over time, I have built a repertoire of "actors" whom I can pull up to use in my stories.They say that actors look within themselves to find the parts of them that most resemble the characters they play, and I think that is true for writers as well.

Our concepts of heroic and anti-heroic behavior come from our own knowledge and perspectives. Even our villains come from projections of our own shadow aspects, which we choose to deny. (And so, when we see them in others, we become offended by those behaviors.)

Every man has an image inside his head of the woman he might have been if he had been born that gender. Carl Jung calls it his anima, or soul image. In the same way, every woman has her animus. These parts of ourselves also play a role in the characters that we develop.

So, yes, I believe, our characters are often treated like actors, but at bottom, I think, the actors are all us.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LeeBrown2010
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you treat your characters like actors?   Do you treat your characters like actors? EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Hey Domenic!

Well, we are all characters and actors of our own life story! I can be, act or behave (and sometimes even misbehave) many different ways in different settings in the presence of different people...just depends.

Been getting a real kick out of your posts...sometimes I have to wonder if it's for real or not....nonetheless - entertaining.

Change is hard but change is good! Stages of change is like stages of human development - we gotta go through it!

Lee
Back to top Go down
http://www.touchedbypeopleplacesandthings.com
tensejim
One Star Member
One Star Member
tensejim

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Do you treat your characters like actors?   Do you treat your characters like actors? EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 am

Funny you should ask that! I visualized my book all the way through as if I were sitting in a theater watching it as the words appeared on the screen. Especially the final battle in my book, I pictured every scene as if done with great special effect, imagining how it would look in a movie.

So I guess the answer is yes, mostly because I wrote my book planning on success and geared toward being a movie some day...the question now is, will it happen? hehe
Back to top Go down
http://giftedbook.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you treat your characters like actors?   Do you treat your characters like actors? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you treat your characters like actors?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: